1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has happened to Omer Asik recently?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lastreg, Jan 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. SirKen

SirKen Member

I agree. On top of all that, he doesn't have anyone helping him either. When the other team crashes the boards, you can only do so much by yourself.

We need to box out as a team to get the rebounds. You cannot expect everything from one person.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

something like a rookie wall, cept hes not a rookie so starter wall?

he'll break out of it

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He's just not consistent. Same with Morris, Patterson, greg smith and most of the roster...

Someone needs to tell him it's ok to dunk on people. Seven foot human being aren't meant to do reverse lay ups.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He needs his touches down low. I can see him acting like a diva demanding to ship x player ass out.

5. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

we need to feed him the ball down low more

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Not only his rebounding has slipped a bit. His free throws has just been terrible in the last six games, making only 4 of 18.

Something has been bothering him.

7. pnr

pnr Member

Soon teams are going to Hack-A-Sik. :(

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

And costing us games when the opposing teams outrebounded us and we lost control of the paint when he was benched.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That's a good news. I hope McHale starts playing DMo more, also Smith.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I agree.

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Jeremy's knee got hurt to the extent of needing a surgery to continue his NBA career. It didn't happen in just one game. It was the culmination of countless bounding and twisting that aggravated it.

This is why I have been calling for better minute management by McHale, not for Jeremy who already had a injury and surgery record but for the other seemingly still healthy players.

Asik's may be one case just surfacing. I think it's probably more mental than physical since I have yet to see a report about his fatigue, let alone sourness or anything on his legs and arms.

But with one of the toughest schedule of the league, especially 12 road games on the road in January, I hope I can see our four starters playing less than 35 minutes per game if McHale can manage it with more new players like Anderson and Beverly in the rotations.

You will never know if you can use them if you don't put them on the floor.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

That's the thing about Asik and even Parsons. People on this board are brain-washed on thinking pigmentation means not as good or something to that affect but Parson's IQ and execution for what he is paid is better than anything availableiof you judge solely on skill and same goes for Asik. Full 84+ inches tall barefoot and has showed timing and poise to go along with monster stat games. He's worn out a bit because he's never played full starter minutes then on a back to back basis, so what. If you can get D-Mo playing like that versatile quick while being 7ft, I think the Rockets truly have something special with some good length advantage.

13. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Currently our team stands at 4th in the league defensive rebounding. Harden, Lin, and Parsons are above average in their respective positions. Asik has been the #2 defensive rebounds leader in the league. Patterson and Morris as the power forwards need to improve. Smith's rebounding production will increase when he gets more minutes.

But overall we have a quite balanced rebounding squad that fits in with our fast-paced game strategy.

So we already have our rebounding talents, and the problem that we got out-rebounded from time to time was not our players but how they were used.

I often saw mismatches under the glass when McHale wanted to play small but our opponents had slowed us down and got set in half-court. In transition, size matters less, speed matters more. But when the game got slowed down, size matters a lot. Somehow McHale has not been able to adjust fast enough
    like in the last two games.

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Same for Harden, Lin and Parsons before McHale runs them to the ground.

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Glad you bring this up.

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That's what the Grizzlies is considering doing.

How about getting Z-Bo?

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Asik will get killed if he's there all the time.

The real solution is McHale needs to bring some one up from the bench to sub Asik quick. DMo? Or just let Smith play more minutes?

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The only thing about Asik lately that troubles me is his FT shooting... As I'm sure has been brought up by now, he used to be at least a passable FT shooter. Not lately. He's been epically, dangerously bad. Probably would have cost us more games had we not just had overwhelming amounts of offense from other places to blow teams out.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Oh-mare Ah-Shik.

20. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Great question!