1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has happened to Omer Asik recently?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lastreg, Jan 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

When players are benched I don't see any dialogue from the staff; the guys just go to the bench and sit. And maybe feel bad. I wonder if any of the coaches ever speaks to these young players on a personal level at practices to explain anything they saw and liked or didn't like in a game.

McHale knew how to win when he played, and I'm sure he's a great tactician. At the same time, although a nice guy, my impression from his post-game conferences is that he's not positive about ALL his players. He's effusive about a few individual players, but I don't hear mention of the others who've been involved in the game. I don't expect him to to sound like the perfect loving daddy of 15 children, but I'd have a better impression of him as a coach and teacher if he'd be more complimentary about some of his lesser stars who've participated. I think it would give them a boost to feel their coach has their back.

2. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

he didn't play as well as the beginning of the season I guess? not very athletic, no post game, can't catch the ball.... That being said, I think he will see big minutes in playoff if we play more half court games

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are not at all set at the 5...
    I'll see us get someone who can vie for minutes there

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

We need a big man who rebound. I'm sick of Asik and Patterson. They suck nuts, we need a legitimate big man!

5. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the way I see the Rockets coach he is being very passive by design.

this is a squad of young players and they really try and let them grow and make mistakes. no one really points fingers. the players know when they've made an error. the coaches let them deal with it on their own

i see McHale as more of growth counselor than a my-way-or-highway type of coach

6. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Asik one of the best rebounders in the league...

Asik is still doing what he does... rebound and defend. If he can pick up on his offensive game he is probably an all-star.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Camby in his heydays was never an allstar but he had some offense and a jumper going

8. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

The Rockets need another solid big man. The pace that they play at is going to wear out ANY seven footer over the course of the season.

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Omer doesn't have a legitimate PF partner. He can't do everything himself there. In the Hornets game it was 1vs3 on the boards all night.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

dumbest comment of the day. by far. Asik is the 5th leading rebounder in the league! LMAO. Yet "we need a big man who rebound" you write.

So I guess we have to get Varejao, Randolph, Love, or Dwight. Go get that big who can rebound bro :rolleyes:

Comment fail

11. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Asik is what he is. He will never be anything special on offense but rebounds and brings some defense. The Rox can afford to stick with Asik if they get a legit 4 who boxes out and rebounds. Without a legit 4 to partner with Asik, it's going to be hard for Rox to be successful long term because Asik is limited and not consistent enough on offense.

12. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

The only gripe I have on Asik is that he's like 2/20 on his FTs so far.

13. Gil

Gil Member

Hasn't been a factor since that 20-20 game against the Bulls on Christmas.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Come down to earth

15. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

1 of 8 at the line.
    [​IMG]

I don't think his free throw shooting to start the season was a fluke. He's just completely drained with the starter minutes and the Rockets' pace.

16. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

Never underestimate the power of the opposing teams scouting report.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He's just going through a lull. He's the real deal! Gonna average a double double for years.

18. jocar

jocar Member

He's breaking down with the team's rebounding and paint defense falls entirely on his shoulders. Morey needs to bring in some help asap

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think the other teams finally realized he will score and rebound if they ignore him, so now they are guarding him.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's gassed. Compared to the previous 2 seasons with the Bulls, he's already played a "season and a half," and we aren't even halfway through this one. He's smack dab in the middle of The Wall. Splat! Omer will come around, eventually. Meanwhile, we'll suffer, because we don't have a veteran backup 5 who's solid.