1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has happened to Omer Asik recently?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lastreg, Jan 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. roksoer

roksoer Member

if lin was benched in the 4th q against NO like his play had warranted and asik was playing we never would have lost

2. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

we are resting Asik for Boston tonight... Good thing Stern doesnt nice it or we'll get fined... lol

3. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

what has happened to Asik recently, he's making a huge progress, it's almost always the case when you are learning knew things, you seem like regressing and losing the skills, that's a sign that new learnings are happening and integrating in the nervous system... that's how human nervous system works...learning curve is not perfectly incremental- it has its periods of upward movement followed by occasional downward slopes...

4. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Do you watch the games???

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I thought as much when I saw Asik playing less and less lately. Kind of sad it came so early, but I guess as a big man it was expected he's the first to fall.

Now I'm dreading the day when Lin, Harden, and Parsons hit their walls. Which of course is going to happen sometime. We may have a bunch of bigs. But our perimeter depth is much shallower. If the Rockets really want to make a playoff push, I wouldn't be surprised if they trade for extra wing depth. Perhaps a salary dump from some scrub team wishing to save some money.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly! We're an injury or a "wall" away from seeing this potential playoff run go up in smoke. Especially, if it involves Harden and losing his superhuman level of play.

As you mentioned, if the Rockets plan on keeping things interesting a trade for a combo guard or wing depth is the way to go.

7. TDRox

TDRox Member

Yeah, me too. I'm thinking of benching him in favor of Nikola Vucevic soon if he lays another egg tonight...

8. Vestax

Vestax Member

I'm not too keen on centers but in the league, how important are stats for centers if they already can provide paint presence, rim protection, and good PNR's? If we took some currently good centers now that put up stats, say Howard, Tyson Chanlder, KG, Tim Duncan, there seems to be a big drop off after that. Not sure just asking because it just seems a lot of people are just going by stats. I've seen almost every Rox game, and sure he's not the greatest elegant ogre out there, but I think he provides that big man presence that other teams have to worry about. I think the team's focus is somewhere else. Omer is still beneficial to the team, IMO.

9. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Part of it is less playing time but even if you adjust his rebounds to his season average for minutes he'd be at 8.75 rebounds in January (7 rebs per 24 mins = 8.75 rebs per 30 mins).

It really comes down to fatigue and law of averages. He's tired and when looking at rebounds with a small sample size you're going to find ups and downs.

10. just a word

just a word Member

This is why I want the Beverly and Anderson signings to really pan out well, and why I'm perfectly find for either/both of them to be shipped down to RGV and get up to speed on Rockets' rotations and pace as fast as they can.

Because @Utah and @Denver is lurking at the end of this month.

11. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

all of them why?

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I don't agreed with McHale's playing Osik limited minutes....they get killed inside then Osik isn't there.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's some strange plan to tank I bet. Lin or Harden benched and it would cause too much of a PR outcry but when you bench the 1 solid advantage you know they are covertly trying to tank a few for a pick after all. Remember with the new flopping rules the post has reacquired some dominance once again even if the superstars don't get called.

PS. Osik is great way to spell his name for the pronunciation.

14. Vestax

Vestax Member

How is his name pronounced anyways? I've been saying Oh-mare Ah seek. I always hear TV commentators and sports casters butcher the name in different ways. I often hear Omar Ah-sick.

15. steady

steady Member

One thing Morey said during the 790 radio interview yesterday was that he does not expect either player to contribute that much this year: "probably not"

I think that would be a shame. Especially Anderson seems NBA ready. I say give him a chance - .

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. meekg

meekg Member

O-mer A-sick.

18. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

The way Omer Asik pronounces it is Oh-mare Uh-sheek

Parsons says Oh-Mer Ah-sick

19. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

stop copying Worrell, Clyde, and Bullard. They're terrible.

20. daernoth

daernoth Member

What I don't understand is why Greg Smith isn't the guy taking Asik's minutes when he is resting. Either Greg or Omer should be out there at ALL times.