1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happens to the Hornets?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Molotov Cocktail, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

First off, let me say that I do not mean in any way to divert attention from the tragedy that has hit the Gulf Coast. There are much bigger things going on down there than sports right now.

But in the course of thinking about the devastation in New Orleans, I got to wondering about whether or not the Hornets would be able to play there this season. From what the news reports are currently saying, it seems that the remaining people New Orleans are being evacuated, and that residents won't be allowed back in the city for up to a month.

It sounds to me as though the Hornets will be needing to find a temporary home for the time being. Are there any thoughts as to where they might wind up? I would think probably a mid-sized city somewhere close by with a decent arena and accommodations. Little Rock? Baton Rouge? Nashville? Austin?

Here's to hoping that ALL of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast can recover, be re-built and return to life as it was before, sooner rather than later. :)

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Probably some College Arena.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

new orleans is a great place to visit. lots of good food. maybe the hornets will play in shreveport or something.

4. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Logical, its Home of LSU Tigers. They presumably have a good arena, are close to New Orleans, and would have a sizeable following.

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Nobody should feel bad about these sort of threads. This is an NBA board, we should be talking about the NBA -- and how this hugely unfortunate event impacts it. If this were a board about wholesale fish markets, we'd be doing the same, relative to concerns about wholesale fish selling.

Gotta be Baton Rouge, though. Nobody came to see the Hornets anyway last season, and there are hardly any luxury boxes in that ancient arena of theirs, so moving to a college campus should help Shinn feel at home.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Can't believe they could sell Lux Boxes if they had inventory.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wasn't there a poster here about to attend Tulane? That must be crazy to be a freshman and your first semester gets cancelled 2 days before school starts.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't think anybody would miss the Hornets in New Orleans. That city has always been a football town, and now they're probably going to lose the Saints. Is Kentucky still trying to get an NBA team?

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think Vegas is...... Vegas Hornets?

10. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

I heard on TV that the Saints were looking at playing in the Alamo Dome. That might become their permanent home, who knows. If the Hornets decide to move out of town for good, and they just might, they might go to Las Vegas for good.

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The Las Vegas Gamblers. :D

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

hell....the Saints aughta just go ahead and play at the Dome....half of NO is in the Houston area already anyway.

As for the Hornets...send em to Austin...then Dak could go see 2 NBDL teams in his town. :D

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Buzz - ards are 'developing' or just no better than ???

14. PhiSlammaJamma

They are so bad you gotta keep 'em in state. nobody will want to watch. But the Saints could make a bundle in SA, LA or Vegas.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Does anyone have a link to a good wholesale fish market BBS?

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

the hornets could play in any high school gym because no one is going to want to see them play. are you kidding me??? they could be the worst team in the league....again.

17. famicom

famicom Member

I know of a wholesale fishmarket right here in houston.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

when/if they rebuild NOLA, it won't be the same.

who will be investing in basketball tickets, there? people are out of work. companies relocated. jobs lost. i'm thinking filling an arena will be the least of their concerns and selling luxury suites will be a sick joke.

19. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

i coulda swore they said hornets are playing in the astrodome.

20. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

The city of Oklahoma City made a formal offer to allow them to play there. Chances are it will not be in New Orleans and the way things are looking not anymore ever again. They don't have many ties to the city with just 1 year there which could be the shortest stay in a year.

I wonder how new the stadium is how damaged it is and what the lease is on it.