1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to the discovery channel?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fchowd0311, Jan 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

My favorite show on the good discovery channel was beyond 2000.

When I was a kid that show always made me excited about the future.

#21 bobmarley, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah reality TV has infected programming on all levels.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Everything you mentioned got moved to the Science Channel and Animal Planet. They are owned by the same company. You might have to upgrade your cable though, to get them.

It is no different than MTV splitting into multiple channels, and ending up with no videos on the main channel.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It is Discovery Networks now. Wild Discovery is now Animal Planet. Science channel, the Military Channel (Discovery Wings, anyone?), Discovery Health is now OWN (Oprah' network)...will show a few of Health's shows...rest will move to other channels, HD theater, Planet Green, Investigation Discovery, FitTv, The Hub (discovery kids), & TLC. There are couple Spanish language channels too. Basically, Discovery took everything that was on one channel and spread it out over multiple channels to make more money and to expand content of a specific area of interest. If u like wild discovery, u now have Animal Planet.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Beyond 2000 is on the Science Channel now.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

mythbusters is extremely educational and interesting. it's basically a show about chemistry, biology, and physics. i would sit my kid (if i had one) in front of the show all day without a second thought.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Really? I love mythbusters but I would say its closer to just explosion training. Half of their "experiments" are fundamentally flawed because the experimental design is suspect, the other half are just destructive. I think it would only be considered educational to anyone under the age of 7, passed that it's just a show you watch because its fun.

Now Bill Nye the Science Guy is a completely different story. I would gladly let my kid watch re-runs of that show to no end. That was an educational show if you ask me.

For me, Discovery Health is gone, now we have some Oprah network...

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Parasites are both nauseating and fascinating.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

true, mythbusters doesn't actually "teach" you anything. but i don't consider it "fry your brain" tv. and yes, Bill Nye should be on heavy rotation for the kids.