1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happen to the old men?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by coolpet, Oct 27, 2002.

1. coolpet

coolpet Member

what happen to Richmond and Tim Hardway? how come no team has yet signed them? they are still capable of puting up numbers

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Richmond proved last year that he is not capable of assisting any team in the NBA. Tim Hardaway is out of shape and oft-injured, both inhibiting factors for any player, yet alone an older player.

Neither will likely play in the NBA again, which is probably how it should be. They can put up numbers...in pick up games wherever they live.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Tim Hardaway now works with the ESPN NBA broadcasts.

4. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't see why Richmond can't go somewhere where a team is desperate for some sort of scoring. The guy can score 15 a game. The year before last on the Wizards wasn't he scoring around 18 a game? I don't think his skill fell off from 18 a game to out of the NBA.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The luxury tax, and the veteran minimum, have made it financially difficult for teams to sign guys like that.

For instance, Richmond would have a minimum salary of 1 mill. If a team is over the luxury tax, that would mean it would be another 1 mill in taxes to pay, essentially making it a 2 mill/year deal.

Whereas a rookie or young player, would make around 300-400k, and that would translate to 600-800k.

If the luxury tax weren't around, I would think vets like Richmond would be more common now.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I might be wrong, but;

I thought that minimum salaries didn't count against the cap?

And vets minimum would therefore mean that they are 'cap-free' and can play on - isn't that why the vets minimum was introduced?

I guess Hardaway and Richmond musn't have much to offer at all!

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It still counts against luxury tax, I think. I've read something about this topic a few months ago, so it's all on my memory, for better or worse.