1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Grade do you give the Lou Williams trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Feb 21, 2017.

?

What do Grade do you give this trade?

1. A+

42.7%
  2. A

42.8%
  3. B

12.9%
  4. C

0.9%
  5. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. F

0.7%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dudes...this is an A+

A week ago if you were told we'd get a sandwich for Corey Brewer most of you would have accepted this.

Instead, we got Lou Williams. Super sub. 6th man. A guy who can bust out 20 point games on a regular basis...for Corey Brewer and a mid round pick that was going to spend all of next season in the NBDL any ways...oh, the G-League.

kevtse, SF3isBack!!, DonKnock and 5 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to be fair Brewer had that 50 pt game too. LOL!

Honestly Brewer was really good when we got him, I guess the problem was he sort of faded away when we resigned him. Hopefully same thing doesn't happen to Lou.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

yeah but klay's a better two-way guard than lou. i give this trade a D /espn dumb fcks

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He is still a B. But I will eat crow if he plays like last night against the Spurs and Warriors.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

As i explained, every trade has to be looked at in context. in a bubble its a huge talent upgrade, but in context of what the team needs it was less impactful. I said in context i'd give it a B or B+ and you act like i said it was a bad trade lol. and you're telling me he proved something tonight by scoring 15 of his points in garbage time against a bad team? sure it was fun to watch but the truth is we should all hold off on grading the trade until we see what difference he makes for us in the playoffs. that's the only thing that matters.

raining threes and mickey_angelo like this.
  6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I agree with everything you said except I'll take a little issue with this statement. The impressive part wasn't garbage time points. The team was clearly lethargic with a back and fourth game until he came in. He single handedly broke the game open. Granted, he won't do that every night but the team now has another legit threat to do so on any given night. That makes the team much more dangerous. Individually, this trade is a solid B. But I think the whole is greater than the parts here.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Garbage time?!
    A bad team?!
    Rockets used to lose some of the garbage time games against bad teams lately, do you watch games?

SF3isBack!!, roslolian and DonKnock like this.
  8. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Actually in the context I would give it an A- because we really needed this extra guard given EGo and Pat's injury history. We went through a really rough patch when EGo had to miss a few games due to injury so Lou is here to keep us rolling in case any one of our guards go down

Bo6, SF3isBack!!, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr Chuck Norris

He didn't even practice with the damn team! How is this anything but an A+ we trade our worst player for a guy that averages 19 PPG. Why is everyone so damn cynical on this website.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

everyone saying Lou doesn't fill a hole, but Gordon and Bev been dinged up this year and that's when the Rockets slid a bit. As for the center or sf, we cleared 2 roster spot and have $3.5 milly open for a buyout, so Morey isn't done yet. He will fill those 2 roster spots up. Maybe it'll be Bogut and a wing.

#130 khanhdum, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The unspoken bonus upside here is that he's going to exorcise the Dwight Howard #12 uniform curse.

hakeem94 and DonKnock like this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I've been investigating this myself.

Seems to be a combination of active attempts at self-jinxing/reverse psychology; pessimism from continual media reinforcement of negative elements; and a lack of nuance

SF3isBack!! and hakeem94 like this.
  13. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Grading a trade is a prediction, not a hindsight evaluation.

SF3isBack!!, hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I dont see how some thing that makes us much more "dangerous" ends up being a B. Just like the guy you're replying to calling it a great trade!! after I questioned his b- grade but still maintained the b- grade.. truly weird, lol.

#134 SF3isBack!!, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I thought getting rid of Brewer was going to be a situation like with Jeremy Lin where we just have to give up a 1st round pick just to clear cap room. The way this deal worked it's more like we swapped a late first round pick for Lou Williams and were able to just release Brewer with no penalty to our cap space. I can't believe we vastly improved our depth in a trade to be rid of Brewer and all we gave up was a late first.

heypartner and DonKnock like this.
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Honestly I think it's just guys refusing to admit when they're wrong, takes a big man to do that. A lot of people on this site did man up and admit they were wrong about Pringles but you still have people who don't even acknowledge that they hated the move and you still have people who swear last year wasn't Dwight's fault even though he went on TV and literally said he quit and this year we are doing so much better with guys who don't post up and who actually love to pick and roll with Harden, and these guys actually end up setting career highs in the process. At the end of the day only another Superstar will get us past the Warriors, not LOL Andrew Bogut.

Mr Chuck Norris and hakeem94 like this.
  17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is ridiculous, IN CONTEXT COREY BREWER SUCKED, lol. We replaced one of the worst players in the league with Lou freakin WIlliams, how can you not see how that's clearly an A+? We traded a guy who shot far below average in the corners for one who shoots 53% on a team that leads the league in shooting three's. Not only that but Eric Gordon is injury prone guess what we really dont have to worry about that much, you know why? Lou Williams... IN CONTEXT even if we got a player from a position like center which you say is a need, despite us having Dwight Howard last year but a far worse record, despite Zaza freakin Pachulia starting for the Warriors but they still managed to only lose 8 games this season, by your logic it wouldnt be an A+ because our true need is another superstar not a center like Andrew Bogut or a regular below average wing guy, which is pretty much all we could get. I said last year we didn't really need Dwight and we would be a better team without him because the top teams don't even have a real center. Out of the top 4 teams in the league the Rockets are the only team with a guy who is an actual center. Finally, there's something to be said about the value of depth and the lack of depth has been the Rockets problem for awhile now and we really dont have that problem so I really think by very definition that this trade filled a need.

Mr Chuck Norris, Plowman and hakeem94 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

is this not an a+ post ?

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Good point. What i was trying to say is if you look at the trade is isolation on paper, we traded a bench guy for another bench guy, albeit better. But in context for this team, this trade is a solid A. It might get upgraded to an A+ after we see the final results.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

every trade in which you dump corey brewer is by definition A+...EVEN IF YOU HAD TO THROW IN couple of 1 ST ROUND picks to get rid of him... because that guy was trouble and he had power over coaches and morey and was a terrible fit to play on our team and he was undestroyable and uninjurable and sticky with infectious charm!

thank almighty we got rid of him i dont care even if we lose in 1st round

SF3isBack!! likes this.