1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Gives You Confidence in the Republicans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Oct 29, 2008.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think everyone should vote for who they believe in, so if you believe in John McCain and the Republican message then exercise your right and vote for them.

But I remember sitting in my Army barracks watching Ronald Reagan in a 1984 debate against Walter Mondale. During the debate Ronald Reagan asked the question: "Are you better now than you were four years ago?" The answer then was yes and Reagan won his re-election bid by a landslide. I voted for Reagan then and I sure miss Reagan now.

So I asked myself a while back..."Am I better off now than I was 8 years ago when George Bush took office?" The answer is not only no but I am much worse off than I was when Bush took office.

- Un-employment is rising
    - The economy is in the tank
    - The cost for Electricity is has more than doubled
    - The cost of fuel has more than quadrupled
    - Income for the middle class has dropped significantly
    - Benefits for the middle class has dropped significantly
    - Previously thought secure 401K accounts have become worthless
    - The stock market is at historical lows
    - American jobs have been shipped out of the country
    - Confidence in the president (a republican) is at an all time low
    - Constitutional rights have been taken away from us in the form of the Patriot Act

On a whole I don't know anyone who thinks the Republicans have done anything less than a terrible job over the past 8 years. Evan John McCain and the Republican party is trying desperately to distance themselves from their own president.

So the question is simple, giving how historically bad the Republican party has been at leading this country over the last 8 years, what gives you enough confidence in the Republicans to give them another 4 years in the Presidential office?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I tend to agree
    I am not a democrat nor republican
    but the best times of my life
    a Demo was Pres and the congress was republican
    so . . .I figure the balance was good

The last 8 yrs have been miserible
    for not just me. . but alot of people
    hard not to associate that with the Republican pres and Republican congress
    [and seemingly republican courts]

Rocket River

3. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Agreed. Yet this fluctuates in every presidency. When Carter left office it was the literal highest since the great depression, with 21% inflation as well. Yet with Reagan 21,000,000 jobs were created.
    Debatable. Haven't seen two quarters of negative yet... Existing and new home sales numbers were both up this last month... market volatility doesn't always equate to "real world."
    In many markets, yes. But the costs have steadily gone up since electricity has existed.
    I'd say... It has been near 4 times as much... but it's currently about twice as much, and falling again.
    That's funny. I'm pretty sure it has risen over the last decade. It has in my case.
    How so? Many in the middle class now have more benefits than they ever did.
    This is a political party's responsibility? Or a President's? Or is this a financial industry issue that ALL government should regulate?
    It has also seen the two highest single day gains EVER all in the last month... the stock market is for long term... not overnight wealth. Think 15+ years. Furthermore, in the last 8 years the stock market has been breaking the highest plateaus no one thought possible at one point. It was recently only it's lowest in the last decade... not "all time."
    Due to higher corporate taxes than many of the countries that they've gone to... and Obama wants to raise them even more... hello?
    Confidence in every president wains at some point.. it's the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome.
    And yet, some of the measures in this Act have secured your money in the financial institutions more than you realize. No longer can someone say they are a citizen and just open an account. Now they must prove it with two picture ID's.

Turn the corner. What gives you confidence in the Democrats?

Shoot... or ANY politicians for that matter?

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Seriously, clown, according to you, every global problem is the fault of one individual and that person is George Bush. Half of the problems you listed aren't even accurate.

Good grief, can we quarantine these rookies in a forum where they can waller in the slop without dragging the integrity of the BBS down with them? This is getting out of hand.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You're calling him a clown and this is off your site?:

"Three consecutive days of whipping Barakka Dukakka’s man tittays is pure pleasure."

How old are you? I mean, my son's 14 year-old friends don't even talk like this. Wow, talk about CRINGE-WORTHY commentary. Wow.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually it increased under Reagan to the point where it was double digits before dropping again.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So mighty dictator George Bush and the Republicans are responsible for all the problems in all of the land?

Gimme a break were the Democrats hibernating in their caves for the last decade?

The stock market was in a similar recession back in 2001, will the Democrats take responsibility for that?

No one man or one party can control all the factors that result in various outcomes in the social and economic arena. After all we don't live a one party dictatorship.

I will give you this much, this current Administration has been one of the worst in recent memory but that doesn't mean Democrats get to wipe their hands clean now and claim innocence.

All politicians are to blame for this so I am voting against all incumbents Republicans or Democrats come next week.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

most of IROC-it's points are irrelevant, lies or flat-out wrong.

Amusing though!

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Dems were hybernating for a long time. The GOP controlled both the whitehouse and congress in 2001.

The Democrats do deserve blame, and part of that blame should be because they were hybernating for the past decade.

10. crash5179

He was either responsible, refused to do anything about them or was completely in-effective trying to correct them.

Either way I am hearing Ronald Reagans quote write now, "Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?)

If your answer is yes then vote Republican. My answer is an overwhelming no which is why I will not reward the Republicans with my vote this term.

Almost everyone I know feels their quality of life has gone down a lot over the last 8 years and most will vote Obama on November 4th. Understand that most of my friends and family have been traditionally Republican but not this time.

When Obama wins by a landslide that will be all the proof you need as to how dissatisfied the majority of the country is with Bush and the Republicans.

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

cuz them republi'cans ain't moslems.

:rolleyes:

12. rocket3forlife2

They Blame Carter for any mistake Ronald Regan did

They praise Ronald Regan dead corpse, even though he left the country in a huge debt.

They Give George H Bush credit for anything positive that Clinton did

They blamed 911 on Bill Clinton

They are blaming the markets on a possible Presidency and he hasn't made it to office yet.

When the last time theses dudes are took credit from anything?

13. Landlord Landry

don't forget global warming. I was so friggen cold this morning and I'll I could think was........'dam republicans, when are they gonna warm this earth up?'

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

sounds about right

Rocket River

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'll paraphrase myself:

16. M&M

M&M Member

Why does anyone listen to T_J or even SamFisher for that matter? Neither one of them make sense. Both of them just attack others.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you the red M&M, or the Green one?

You should post more often.

:D

DD

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Life probably isn't worse for most Americans than it was 8 years ago. It probably is fairly the same for most people. It is not Bush's fault that we kept buying oil at ridiculous prices from the Middle East. It isn't Bush's fault that the domestic auto manufacturers, and airlines have failed. The market was at historic highs just last year. My life's improvement or lack of has no bearing considering I was a Freshman in high school when Bush became president, so I have no before time to really go on. My parents have improved their quality of living however.

I am not excusing the Bush administration for their faults. They mishandled the Iraqi war, and the war on terror. They have substantially increased the national debt. Deficet spending is not always a bad thing, but this administration has gone overboard. He overextended what were some good taxcuts.

The democrats have done nothing to stop this. They have only worked to increase the national debt, by joining the Bush Admin in a $700billion bailout, a $70billion stimulus package, and likely another. Increasing minimum wages only helps lead to fewer jobs being available. Even Obama wants to extend Bush's tax cuts. Obama wants to cut taxes as well as McCain. Obama will continue deficet spending as well. Obama will be unopposed by congress.

Why trust politicians period? They all lie. We let them get away with it. We throw blame and praise their way even though nobody can prove if it is deserved.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Amazing how long he has been a member and he has less than 100 posts. You are polar opposites with how much you post.

20. crash5179

Don't get me started on Reagan. I loved the guy and voted for him. Life was great not good in the Reagan years.