1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What gear do you bring camping?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tracy McIverson, Nov 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tracy McIverson

Looking to buy someone a full, nice set up of camping gear and accessories for Christmas.

What should I get?

Aside from a tent, sleeping gear, cookware?

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

What sort of camping will they be doing (car camping, backpacking, etc.)?

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

backpack.. headlamp.. jacket.. anything fleece (for cold weather).. air mattress and air pump

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We use a "camp bed" from REI which I highly recommend.

Camping Gear:

tent, sleeping bag, camp bed, pillow
    or
    hammock, pillow

flash lights: hand held, electric lantern and head lamp
    mosquito spray
    sun screen
    mess kit
    first aid kit
    water bottle
    rain gear
    toiletries

6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

A good pocket knight or multi-tool always comes in handy. Fold up chair or stool to sit by the fire. Multigallon water jug if you're not backpacking. Soap. Toilet paper.

I guess a lot of things vary depending on the type of camping you're doing. Most parks don't allow you to gather firewood. Texas State Parks don't allow you to display or consume alcohol in public.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you should check out a self inflating air mattress to save space and weight of a air pump.

As Dr. Ludicrous mentioned, what kind of camping are we talking about here?

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm a part of an Indian Princess tribe with my 2 daughters and we go camping about 5 times a year from Sept thru May. I had never camped before until 2yrs ago and this is what I've learned:

Most State Park campsites have electricity and potable water nowadays. I bring an extension cord, electric blankets, and a small electric heater. I don't have a sleeping bag, so I use one of those egg-crate foam mattresses you can rollup. My daughters sleep on an air mattress. I have this nice flashlight/Lantern combo that works very well. If you end up with one of those portable stove-top/grill/griddles, bring an bean/vegetable can from home to catch the grease..most of the stove tops come with something that holds the can, but not with the can itself. We learned the hard way - the first few times camping we never had anything to catch the bacon grease. If you drink coffee, get one of those coffee pots that you put directly on the stove top. Get some large plastic storage tubs and keep all your camping supplies together in the tubs - it makes packing easier, because you can store all your camping stuff together in the garage and you just load it in your car and you're ready to go. Things to keep in the tubs: paper plates, plasticware, cups, paper towels, spatulas, hammer, utility knife, a couple of extra old towels, sunscreen, mosquito repellant, a flashlight with extra batteries, extension cord, etc. If you have small kids like I do, make them take an extra pair of shoes in case they get wet from the lake, rain, etc. Nothing worse than a kid in a bad mood due to walking around in wet shoes...especially in the colder months.

Research the reviews on the tents before you buy..and always buy a tent that claims it sleeps at least 2 more people than you actually need. The tents run small. Make sure the reviews mention how well the tent keeps the water out in case of rain. If you want extra protection, they make some waterproofing spray you can use on tents. We camped in a bad thunderstorm near lake Whitney last year and we stayed very dry because I chose a tent that had great reviews with regards to keeping rain out. Before you go camping, its not a bad idea to put the tent up in your backyard just to make sure you have all the pieces and to get familiar with the tent.

good luck & have fun.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A gun. I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned bringing a gun.

10. Tracy McIverson

I'm reporting you to HR.

And for the person who asked, this will be outdoor state park style camping. Not carry everything on your back, hiking for 12 hours, set up show in the middle of nowhere camping.

Medium level camping, really. Not wuss camping but not hardcore camping.

Great suggestions so far. Thanks.

11. updawg

updawg Member

Dfwrocket at what age did you sign your daughter up for Indian princesses?

Steepandcheap.com has some good deals

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

adult beverages, etc.

14. dragician

dragician Member

flesh light is actually great for camping.

or this..

[​IMG]

15. Asian Sensation

Weed, smoking device, fire, munchies, hot girls.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

<s>Chair.</s> didn't see it posted until after I posted it.

Guitar. Chess set. Sketch Book. YMMV.

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I never go camping without my North Face jacket.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Alex, I'll take things found in Bear Caves for $100.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

don't forget the sex wedge

20. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

If you are going to bring an air mattress, bring a patch kit. Seems like every time I go camping, someone ends up sleeping on the ground without padding because their air mattress popped. Foam pads don't pop. Flasks are nice too if you aren't just car camping. If you are car camping, don't forget camping chairs and plenty of cans of delicious craft beer.