1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What excuse will they use for denying Harden MVP this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ferrari77, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Irving isn't in '15 Harden's zip code...

1) Conference
    2) PER
    3) Coach

2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

I guess Irving is the MVP now, Harden will soon join MJ as the only players to lead the NBA in Win Shares three times without winning an MVP (MJ did it 9 times)

Air Canada likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, MJ led Win Shares 9 times, but won MVP 5 of those times...so, he failed to get MVP only 4 of those 9 times.

Of course, that means Harden is on the way to be the only player to lead in Win Shares 3-times without winning an MVP (to date). MJ won 5 times, so he suffered from voters doing the taking-turns voting, like they do to Lebron.

No one led Win Shares three times before winning MVP ... like non

[edit] first since Neil Johnston in the 50s, ;) Harden is the new Neil Johnston :eek:

#363 heypartner, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    BigMaloe likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol at okc's chart. they've been losing against the weaklings :D

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you are generally considered to be the best player on the team with the top record, you will be an MVP candidate. Kyrie leads his team in PER, BPM, VORP, RPM, WS/48, and WS. I don’t think he’s the MVP of the first month if were giving out such an award (it goes to Harden if I’m choosing it), but surely he’s in the conversation. Name me another player in the history of the league who had a 25 PER, leading his team, on the team with the league’s best record, and he wasn’t given serious MVP consideration. It doesn’t happen.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Boston have a better strategy for covering defensive weaknesses than Golden State do, the way those gadget arms can force switches without leaving their defense in turmoul is phenomenal.

RPM is a fit stat, if the offense is designed around you, then rpm is good, if the defense is designed around you or to minimize your weaknesses, then rpm is good, if the team decides, screw it, just let it happen as the trade off isn't worth it, then your rpm is not good.

#366 Aleron, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They have 2 wins over teams .500 or above. I think they are in more trouble than people realize now.

Their next two games against GSW and DET (Who is a very surprising team right now) I mean, they can be 7-11 by the end of this week rather easily.

8. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

A number of guys on that Hawk team a few years ago.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I don't think anyone here thinks we can even beat the superteam warriors until we see Harden+CP3+this team's full potential

but we could have had a better pt diff if Paul wasn't injured

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Apparently according to ESPN Curry and/or KD this year.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, his PER was 20 a week ago when he was already being crowned.

Irving and Boston will fall off, Harden and Rockets will prevail.

BigMaloe, DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This will be a 2 man race by the end of the season.

James and James.

Hopefully Harden can edge LeBron.

13. durvasa

Didn’t have the best record, and no consensus best player on the team.

14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Well if Advanced stats really matter, Harden is leading the NBA in PER, WS, WS/48, BPM, VORP, RPM, WINS, first player ever to do this since ESPN came up with RPM and WINS in 2013. However, I don't think being perfect in all the stats can beat the narrative of Irving being the "best clutch player in the league" and "score when it matters".

FANfrom86toNow and s3ts like this.
  15. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

You can see from the timing that they are biased. They don't do this kind of poll after Harden had great games, so they can avoid getting people's attention for Harden's MVP case. But right after Kyrie had a good game against a really bad Mavs team(dead last in the league), they do this poll. I mean how can Westbrook's name be even on this list given how he has been playing this year.

s3ts and DonKnock like this.
  16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Sounds about right.

The 2 best players in the league as it should be.

Kyrie crap is ridiculous.

The Celtics have literally played the easiest schedule so far according to the metrics.

There barley beating teams that us and golden state blow out.

James is doing stuff never done before kyrie is playing worse than last year. And keep in mind kyries best year last year is Hardens worst year over the past 6.

Let that sink in.

FANfrom86toNow, Reeko, s3ts and 5 others like this.
  17. thekad

thekad Member

Barely leading that team in those stats isn't actually an achievement. You know that, so I don't know why you're bothering to play dumb. His play hasn't been near the top players in the league and his team isn't even the highest rated in their conference by SRS.

Kyrie isn't a serious MVP contender by any other measure than ridiculous media narrative.

Reeko and DonKnock like this.
  18. durvasa

He just happens to lead his team in every player rating stat of note, so underselling it as “barely leading that team” is kind of disingenuous on your part. Anyone can look up the stats I cited and see that “barely leading” is not an accurate descriptor.

There is a strong argument to be made that Boston isn’t the best team in the league. I don’t think they are either, regardless of their record. So what? My point stands — people will always give extra MVP credit to players who are clear-cut leaders of teams that have the best record or are on crazy win streaks. That’s why he’s in the conversation now. McGrady got some MVP buzz during our 22 game win streak as well, even though his stats weren’t otherworldly either.

I don’t expect Boston to keep it up and the “Kyrie for MVP” talk will naturally die down as other teams rise above them. But if Boston somehow ends up with the best record, or even a #1 seed, and Kyrie is their best player and routinely dominating the end of close games, he’ll get some MVP consideration because that’s just how it goes based on the history of this league. But he won’t be the favorite.

BigMaloe likes this.
  19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Easy: It will be something about defense, which is crap.

You don't have to be an excellent defender to be the league's MVP. However, that's the narrative that is pushed forth....MVPs have to be incredible on both ends of the court.

Kawhii isn't even close to James on offense, but he's in the discussion. Steph Curry is a shooter, but isn't nearly as talented as James, but he's a throw-in to the vote. Russ gets his trip-dubs, but I don't see them as very efficient, and his speed makes him appear to be a better defender than he actually he is.

James is the only guy in the league who uses "Leg Mud" to his advantage. He'll deaccelerate to the point of creating confusion for defenders and the either dart past them or continue the slower speed to collect his final motions into a shot, usually drawing a foul in the process.

His offense alone makes him MVP-worthy, and quite frankly (damn, that sounds like Screaming' A), his defense isn't as horrendous as people try to suggest.

Either way, as long as JH stays healthy, he'll win the MVP this year. It has been a long time coming.

I see his only threats as:
    LeBron (If he brings the Cavs back to #1 out East, that's fair...use to hate the guy, but I respect him.)
    Wall (but it won't happen)
    Kyrie (League won't let that happen)
    Durant (See:snake)
    GreekFreak (Needs another year)
    Russ (Melo and PG take away the chances)

And, Ne already predicted it, so that's good enough for me. :)

20. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

DonKnock likes this.