1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what ever happened to ed cota???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Shandon Anversen

i thought ed cota was one helluva pure point guard at north carolina. does anyone know where he is playing right now? overseas? cba?

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

2. SlamN

SlamN Member

Ed is playing in the summer league for Indy. He has been playing well but competition is lacking. Indy just drafted Tinsley so he may not be able to get a spot.

------------------

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I was wondering the same thing. He, and Erick Barkley. I know Barkley was drafted, but I don't know what happened from there on out. Ed Cota really had some great skills though. I think he'll make a solid backup for someone.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

4. SlamN

SlamN Member

Barkley was drafted by Portland and is also playing in the summer leagues. He is doing very well there along with Zach Randolph (who has been a monster). Unfortunately, for Barkley Portland had Damon Stoudamire, Rod Strickland, and Greg Anthony at PG. It may change this year and he might be able to play as the #1 backup.

I think one of knocks on Cota was his lack of shooting ability and range. He isn't the biggest PG around either. I think he has skills and could play in the NBA as a backup though.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The problem with Ed Cota was that he lacked speed and quickness, especially foot speed.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

6. tozai

tozai Member

i'm pretty sure he's been playing in Europe, but as you said he's in the summer leagues right now

------------------

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cota is one of those great college point gaurds that doesnt have NBA game. Remember Steve Wojo(yeah right like I could spell the rest)ski?

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wojo played for Duke, so that explains why he never made it to the NBA...Hell, he never ATTEMPTED to go pro...

As for Ed Cota, he broke the UNC all time assist record that was held by WHO??

WHO?? [​IMG]

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

9. Shandon Anversen

so, jacque vaughn has more foot speed than ed cota???

10. jamma34

jamma34 Member

whatever happened to all those guys who were gonna be good like the o'bannon brothers, tyus edney, shawn respert (i dont know why i just thought of him)

------------------
    president of the sleepy floyd to hall of fame club.

http://www.it-is-truth.org

http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

11. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Well, in a recent summer league game, Cota(playing for Indiana) only got 4 minutes of play and had no stats to speak of other than 0-1 FGs.
    <a href="http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0723f.html">Box Score</a>

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

12. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Victor Page is playing in the CBA, not sure what team.

------------------
    "I look kind of dumpy. Look at my butt. And what kind of shoes do they have me wearing? At least they got the chinstrap beard right."
    -Kevin Garnett on the KG bobblehead dolls during KG bobblehead doll night at the Target Center

13. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Ed O'Bannon is playing in the ABA, and his brother, Charles, is playing in Japan. Shawn Respert is playing in Greece. Those are the places they play during the regular season.
    Toby Bailey is playing for a couple summer league teams, such as the Headliners, and is consistently pouring in 30+ points a game. He plays in the ABA during the regular season. Jaron Rush is playing in the ABA as well. Reggie Freeman is playing in the IBL.

------------------

14. Mo Diggity Dawg

Verse,
    I hear you about Ed Cota, and i think he didn't even get a chance to prove people either way. He didn't get drafted, or even picked up by ANY team in the NBA and there are point guards in the league no better than him. You can't tell me that Matt Maloney, Bryce Drew, Gary Grant, and Randy Livingston are that much better than Cota. As far as pure points...he can play in the NBA at least as a back up to learn the game.

------------------
    Take the blue pill, and wake up from the computer dream world. I'm a fan of basketball, and knowing the truth for some means finally facing it...I'm TRUTH.

15. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

If I recall correctly, and I think I do - Cota was being looked at as a late selection, but he went to the pre-draft camps and got ripped to shreds by the quicker quards there.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

16. SlamN

SlamN Member

I think most of those players end up in Europe or Asia playing in leagues there. Right now there are quite a few playing in the summer leagues. The O'Bannon brothers, Toby Bailey, and Jaron Rush are playing there. I saw Reggie Freeman's name in a boxscore for a team in the Phillipines.

------------------

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wasn't Harold Minor one of those "Next Jordan" guys?

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

18. knifejc

knifejc Member

What ever happened to Victor Paige out of Georgia Town?????

------------------

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to love Ed Cota, till I thought about who he really resembled in the NBA.

The best I could come up with was a poor mans Randy Livingston.

That's pretty poor. NBA teams tend to like the drive and dish type PG's wehereas Cota is more of a stationary passer.

------------------

20. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

What about King Rice and Brian Reese ? I thought Lawrence Moten had nba potential. Of course, I also said Lou Roe would be the next Barkley. Said that about Byron Houston also. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."