1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Ron Artest winning a championship teach the Rockets fans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Everyone knows defense wins championships.

I still am happy with the Ariza signing.

2. herro

herro Member

Truth.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

lol and john paxson was useless in the 93 finals, and steve kerr was useless in the 97 finals, lemme pull up the boxscore to show their PPG and stuff.............haters gotta hate.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny how the better OFFENSIVE team won the championship though, isn't it?

Ultimately, if both teams are good on D, the one that can score better wins.....

Balance always wins out.

DD

5. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

This is all that needs to be said

6. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Stupid thread title.

What kind of answer are you looking for Carl?

"I told you so"? "We made a mistake" are you really so ignorant to think that perhaps this worked out better for both parties?

This thread is like saying "what does Adam Morrison winning a championship teach the Bobcats fans?"

Clown

1 person likes this.
  7. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Fisher is terrible during the regular season and got burned time and time again throughout the playoffs for the Lakers. He got torched by Aaron Brooks last year, Russell Westbrook this year, Steve Nash, etc., etc. He is constantly criticized by the LA media. But guess what? He hits big shots and that's all you remember. Horry was non-existant in LA and SA pretty much for the entire seasons he was there... except when he hit big shots. Posey is a knucklehead in every sense of the word. Same for Wallace. These guys all got criticized for inconsistency and not showing up until it counts, but their organizations knew they were valuable because there aren't many players who don't wilt under the pressure of the big stage.

You guys hate on Artest because he makes mistakes and plays like an idiot sometimes, but he has that "it" that make role players special, and that is something you can't teach. My point is that a lot of all-time great role players are very inconsistent and play horrible for long stretches during the regular season, but show up when it counts.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Reading comprehension isn't the strong suit for some people on this board. That's OK. Artest don't care about no critics who don't understand and neither do I.

9. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

Also to the guys comparing Artest to random nobodies on teams that won titles, that is a ridiculous comparison. Artest was a starter on the Lakers team, pretty much locked down the Celtics best offensive player, and played huge in Game 6 AND Game 7, both elimination games.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL, artest came up huge in game 7.........and he hit the buzzer beater vs the SUns which pretty much ended the series

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Way to go big Ron!!!

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If the Lakers can get a middle of the pack point guard. And IF Bynum can improve and stay healthy, they definitely have another shot at it.

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

Like stats matter. The moment is what matters.

Many of the times, Ron sucked it up. Losing the ball, missing horribly, but those were shots that anyone can take and miss. Nobody gave a s*** if it was taken by someone else at that moment.

But Ron hit a clutch one TWICE this series. God knows how well he performed when he was on the Rockets.

Just freaking admit it, he is a GREAT player. I sorely miss Ron Artest, and I'm in constant regret that we didn't keep him.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

There's gold in them thar nuts!! :grin:

15. herro

herro Member

I liked Ron as a rocket, and I didn't boo him when he came back to Houston as a Laker.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not me. I think it worked out well for both sides. It's not like Ron would fill some huge void we have right now.. I don't know why people would wish we would've signed him. He played great tonight, was definitely the MVP of the game.. and I always love him in front of a mic. But regret that we didn't sign him? No way.. I'd still take Trevor.

17. bloop

bloop Member

yeah this is a pretty good comment but there are 2 caveats:

1) home court. in a tight game like this home court plays a big part, especially in the production of the bench... LA won in the end because it's a better offensive team but in a different locale the differential in their offense probably wouldn't have been as great

2) RAY ALLEN. if he'd hit ONE of the DOZEN shots he missed badly the Celtics would have been ahead or tied with 24 seconds left

the rule of thumb I think is sound but there were 2 other huge factors.

with Artest the lesson is God Giveth. God Taketh Away.

Artest hit a big 3 this game but he's lost them games in the playoffs taking terrible 3s as well.

what we learned is Artest CANNOT be alpha dog or he'll run loose. like Rodman he needs an MJ, Kobe, Lebron etc to keep him on a leash or he'll freelance

in the end Artest or Gasol came up with game winning putbacks, shots or rebounds to win them each series. LA was a very solid team this year and deserved to win... simply because their guys came up with the ball in key plays time and time again. Boston was second in this area but simply didn't make enough plays game 6 and 7 to deserve to win

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am split... Artest was not needed because we didn't have Yao. So it was the right move. If we had a healthy Yao then resigning him probably would have been a good choice. There is no question Artest brings toughness and that helped big in game 7. Still Ariza was not that much of a drop off overall and didn't need brain surgery or a shrink.

Which leads me to my second thought. why didn't we hire a psycho therapist and brain surgeon while he was here. We could have tried shock treatment a labotomy something. Anyway that's what it teaches me.

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

and they're acting like ariza was dropping bombs in the finals.......ARiza sucked in the finals until games 4-5, and even with that he averaged what? 9ppg? and by that time the lakers pretty much wrapped it up.......Artest kept the lakers afloat inthe 1st half when they could've been down 20....he came through in game 7 of the nba finals, yea the dude's off the wall but give credit where credit is due.....i cant imagine trevor ariza helping will a team to victory in game 7 of the finals.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

There's no need to trash Ariza just to try to bring Artest up. Both helped their teams win championship rings -- why try to diminish Ariza's accomplishments just to make Artest' look better? Artest sucked in plenty of post-season games and often took off-the-wall shots that left everyone scratching their head. But tonight he was incredible and deserves credit. Why can't we leave it at that without trying to tear the other players down? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.