1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Ricky A do best as coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cody

cody Member

the main thing i've liked about RA, is that he gives each member of this team (exclude Tmac, Battier, Yao) his chance to prove his worth or lack there of to this team. Thus creating the best mix for the Rockets..
    Example

PF position - Hayes started the season. He proved he is exactly as advertised. Great hustle, Great low post D, no offense. Thus he was bound to hold it down until somebody stepped and added offense to the equation. Scola finally adjust to the NBA game and starts to find more of a scoreing nich. Thus eventual starter. Landry, I've heard rumors that he absolutely dominates in practice. RA eventually dresses him, and we all know the result. Now as oppossed to going with just Chucky, we have 3 PFs the can hold ther own with regards to there skills set and unbelievable post play chemistry.

PG - Rafer wins the job in camp. MJ starts off fast but his unwillingness to pass, sends him to the oak. SF, got his chance when rafer was out and did little with it, then injury. AB, gets his chance and make the best of it, becomes a regular part of the rotation.

Deke - I love how he hasn't disrepected Deke presence on this team. I used to hate last year when JVG would put Deke in at end of games in garbage time. Though he wasn't playing, he doesn't deserve garbage time.

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

He's fair and has given EVERYONE a chance unlike JVG and his Napoleon Complex.

3. Panda

Panda Member

He gave Novak a chance that kept our unbelievable streak alive.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sincerely,

Steve Francis
    Mike James

5. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

agreed.

6. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

The Rockets were in full meltdown mode for a good chunk of this season too.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Rick the Dick plays the rookies

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bonzi Wells

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I guess Scola is a "rookie" since its his first year in NBA but the guys been in international competition the past few years... and hes shown that hes tough stuff :D

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I know we don't want to - but we have to give Clyde credit. He pushed him on Les.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

12. kwng

kwng Member

I would say he does best as coach from three perspectives :

1. He don't have doghouse so all players respect him and are happy with him. IF you are good and contribute, you'll play. If you have weaknesses, he'll find ways or encourage you to improve i.e. Rafer, Battier and others. I am not sure how he did it but he motivates his players very well and get them on fire without using the "fear" technique or approach.

2. He dare to make a chances during game time if he sees a mismatch and caused the opponent to be at a disadvantage. I doubted he would put Yao to guard Boozer in the playoffs last year for 7 games.

3. He has a variety of strategies to carry out an offensive attack to the kill his opponent. His offensive game is very difficult to counter because he has a broad range offensive strategies.

13. kwng

kwng Member

sorry .. don't = doesn't :D

14. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

adjustments. Adjustments in the rotation, and adjustments on how they defend people who are torching them. The Rockets are finally make adjustments and its making all the difference in the world.

15. blackbird

blackbird Member

How can this be possible? Isn't JVG the best defensive coach of The World?

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Steve Francis went out of the rotation because he was hurt - which ended up being season-ending surgery.

Mike James shot himself out of the rotation and Luther Head/Aaron Brooks shot their way in.

What's your point? :confused:

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

James even got a second chance with T-Mac injured, but still didnt do the things he was asked to do to get more playing time.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The best thing about coach A that I like is that he doesn't seem to have any of the limitations of JVG! He seems to have an open mind and quickly realised that the Rocket's Roster would not fit his game plan ala Sacramento, so he adapted the plan to enable the team to play a game more suited to their abilities. From this I would consider that he is a players first coach.At first I had sincere doubts about him but am now walming up to him and his coaching. :p