1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Purpura mean?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Refman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

During the press conference, he said that we had things we wanted to do in the free agent market and things we wanted to do via trade. He addressed the signings as satisfying what we wanted to do in the free agent market.

So...what are the things he wants to do via trade? Could this mean we are trying to trade for Vernon Wells? Jason Jennings?

Any thoughts?

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know, but let's hope he doesn't do anything drastic and sell the farm for someone like Vernon Wells or Jennings. With the contracts that have been handed out this offseason and the probability that they will only get worse in years to come, it is going to be as important as ever to have a good farm system.

There is a fine line between doing everything you can to be competitive and making sure the future isn't sacrificed too much.

3. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Wells will cost us big time in young buck talent to sacrifice. You better believe if it gets done the rest of NL Central is going to cry foul ... :D

Personally have a feeling one or even two of the following will not be here for spring training. Willy T, Burke, Hirsh, Patton, Pence.

If they get Wells, Willy T is probably history and he may be anyway since I guess his agent now is Scott "the Evil One" Boras or so I have heard.

Rumor has it, the Rockies like Burke alot and the Marlins like Willy T alot. So that makes for interesting developments that are surely soon to transpire.

What to do with Mo or Huff? Another intriguing story soon to unfold.

It's obvious next though they should be going to land one or possibly two starting pitchers to the rotation. Jennings, Schmidt, Willis. Hey, one can dream about D-Train. :D

The Lee acquisition makes the Stros a VERY attractive haven for other FA's to land. This move alone puts us in seriously hot contention for the division.

4. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Wells !!!! Man that would be the best outfield in the Majors !!! :D

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I'm betting the Astros just let Huff walk. I haven't heard anything about them seriously pursuing him and wasn't he trying to shop for a big deal himself. I think the signing of Lee pretty much rules out them getting Huff, unless he wants to come back for a decent price. And at this point, I would rather them take their chances on Ensberg and use the money that would have gone to Huff on another pitcher. Or they work a trade and deal for a pitcher, which seems the most logical move at this point. They do need some money to sign Pettite back if he comes back.

6. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

i believe this means purpura is fat.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#6 TMac640, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Agree with you.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Could we get Wells for Taveras and Burke?

I know it wouldn't be the most fiscally responsible move, but since it's MLB, I really don't care.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

not without a gun...

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dontrelle Willis...now that would be sick.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

pupura is a real nasty skin disease...

12. askball

askball Member

Well if the Marlins are in fact interested in Taveras, we could offer Willy, Bucholz or Hirsch, and Pence for Willis. I dunno if they would even consider that, but they're getting a speedy cf, a young starter with loads of potential, and another outfielder with potential.

13. Refman

I was actually thinking Wells for Taveras, Lane and either Ensberg or a AA pitching prospect.

If you trade Ensberg, you have to resign Huff.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dontrelle is way more valuable to us than Vernon Wells at this point. And if Boras is going to be Willy's agent, then its time to part with him. Send him, Hirsch, and Pence if need be to Florida for Dontrelle, but not Burke. Keep Burke to play CF and then get a 2nd baseman cheap somewhere. Or just let Bruntlett/Biggio share 2nd base for a year. Burke is a player.

15. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Even we can make a deal for Vernon Wells, dont forget his current contract will expire in one year.

I bet he will ask for more money than Lee/Soriano.

Is McLane ready for this?

16. Refman

The estimates I heard on the radio is that he will be worth 6 years at $13M to $14M per year.

17. Poloshirtbandit

I think Boras has been Taveras' agent for a while.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

If the Astros can get a starting pitcher like Jennings from the Rockies, I think you have to consider giving up Burke. I think Willis and Wells are probably beyond the Astros means at this point. I think they should focus on people like the starting pitchers like Olsen at Florida, or the center fielder Baldeli with the Devil Rays.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree with the concept of Jennings/Burke. I also believe signing Huff makes sense making Morgan trade bait, perhaps with Lidge, for a stud pitcher or hitter.

20. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

ensberg will be gone