1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. just a word

just a word Member

I can't rep you so I'm just going to have to quote it.:grin:

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

While you are right, Lin has started to collect these big games like this.

Maybe if he just did it like 3 times...but from what I can tell every time he just plays his game he does well.

We will see though, I know you are just trying to curb expectations though.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

While I applaud lins game tonight, if he can't do it consistently, he isn't helping the team much. And while he was terrific his opposition outplayed him, so its a moot point. The biggest difference I noticed tonight was we were actually hitting open shots and free throws (Asik!)

4. torocan

torocan Member

His opposition was the Spurs. The 4x NBA Champions, 13 consecutive seasons of 50+ wins, one of the best records in the NBA, Future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan playing with the 2 All Stars Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli, 2x Coach of the Year Popovich Spurs.

The Spurs didn't outplay Lin, the Spurs outplayed the Rockets.

And consistency is exactly what you will NOT get with young players. That's the reality of rebuilding. That will take time. Expecting consistency from any of the YOUNG players on this roster is an unreasonable expectation.

Especially when you have so much Roster rotation (13 new players).

Just to put into context how YOUNG this team is, there has been only ONE team in the modern Era to have a winning record with a team as young as the Rockets... and that was the 79-80 Portland Trailblazers.

Don't ask for Veteran consistency from a 24 year old team. It's not fair to this particular roster of players.

This year will be a roller coaster. Accept that and you'll enjoy it more.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope that his shot is back and that he is comfortable with his game

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

When was the last time James took 30 shots. when he scored 45 he did it on 20 and his 39 was on 16 and in both those games he had bug assists numbers. I mean do some research.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

My post was a rely to redredemptions stupid remark.

8. ERC

ERC Member

Yes, it's just one game and yes we've lost, but this is the Spurs we are talking about. And speaking of free throws, Lin was a perfect 12-of-12 (that's almost 43% of all free throws made by the entire Rockets team).

Definitely ample room for improvement for the young Rox, but before the game, everyone was expecting a blow-out. I thought it was great effort by all.

9. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Give him a lot more confidence going forward.
    Give his team mates a lot more confidence in him.
    I think his catch and shoot game seemed to have returned, maybe too soon but whatever.
    Shows US what he IS capable of. And that we havn't been hoodwinked.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I wouldn`t really say, that he had the ball that much more in his hands... he was sharing PG duties with Toney Douglas, both being on the field together for long stretches. A lot of times Lin was more playing like a SG, fighting through picks to get open. If he hits his shots, it opens up everything for him and for his teammates.

When Harden has the ball, he will find Lin when he is open - when Lin has the ball, he will find Harden when he is open. When we need a score, Harden will be the one to try to create it. That`s the way our team is designed and I´d say it`s not a bad design. Both guys are unselfish and that`s a good thing.

Now Lin just needs to continue to shoot like that and our backcourt will be set - as is our C-Position and probably also our SF. Now let`s get that star PF, let`s let everybody improve and get comfortable with each other and then win a championshíp :cool:

11. jamphus

jamphus Member

nice game for Lin.

Keep the stat to shut up other's mouth.

12. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You're sad. It probably doesn't compare with 100pt or 81pt games either. I'm sure that's what we're comparing here.

13. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Hmm synergy stats. Check it out. Also, a disproportionally large percentage of the opposing PG's scoring has been done on Toney Douglas. Just not mentioned much.

14. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well put it this way...at least he's forced to mention Hakeem to try to take the wind out of Lin's sails. I'm satisfied.

15. marexx

marexx Member

just a fluke

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I voted for Smith because PF seems to be the biggest problem on the team right now. But I'm not sure if they need to max out the position through free agency.

It's obvious Patterson isn't cutting it. 8pts 2reb and no fouls from your PF is not good. Normally you don't like to have your players committing fouls, but done properly they can be useful. And the fact that your PF doesn't have any in a game speaks volumes about his play. Morris could do well in Pats place and eventually Motiejunas. It would be nice to see him get some playing time soon.

Ultimately, I think the Rockets need to go after the top free agents out there and adjust their roster accordingly. I would just rather see them apply the "never draft for need" mantra to free agency.

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^
    Wrong thread. Too early, I guess.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

One game knee-jerkers. Remember Greg Smith's Laker game? Look at his stats. Okay, but nothing huge. Just calm down people. One good game. Damn.

19. Jedster

Jedster Member

A good game is when he scores 20+ points.
    38 is a spectacular game. And although nobody mentioned it, Lin had 2 blocks as well, behind Smith's 3, and tied with Asik's 2. Notice any height differences???

So really you should say...'Just calm down people. One spectacular game. Damn.'
    Funny you should mention Greg Smith though. He first got my attention when he dislocated his finger in a game and didn't look rattled. Then that big game he had really opened my eyes about him. Love that kid.

20. loox

loox Member

For Rockets:
    A vision of how the team offense should work and could work.

For Lin:
    A statement: he shows to his doubters, and also reminds himself of, what he can do against the best in the business.

For us fans:
    A renewed joy of watching great team basketball.