1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Here's an interesting piece about how Lin played his game in college. I think it's pertinent in that it sheds a light on how his decision making works during pick-and-rolls.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/s...as-model-for-teaching-pick-and-roll.html?_r=0

Some snippets:

Magic Johnson said the same thing about Jeremy Lin's game:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qt_WYdBW2xc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The key part where Magic Johnson talks about the way Lin approaches the game in terms of decision making.

Obviously he's still young and developing and not at the level of Nash or Stockton or Kidd or whoever we're comparing him to. But this may shed some insight on the debate of how he handles the offense mentally.

Lin is a PnR player, but there's no good PnR Big in Houston and most of the PnR's aren't being run by Lin but by Harden. So basically, Lin's decision-making skills and talent for using the PnR to breakdown the defense to set his team up isn't used much.

2. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I'll be more blunt if I may. Lin's elite PNR skills are completely wasted on this team, with these set of bigs, with this group of coaches.

3. kozmo

kozmo Member

talking about how Lin makes things better....the other night when Lin scored 38....who else played really well...Osik and Parsons...career high for Osik. My contention is the Rockets would have been way better off getting a great big like tyson chanler who could finish at the rim than getting harden that Lin has to share the ball with.

I will also say of they can get harden and Lin to jell this team will be almost unbeatable witha quailty big

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Unfortunately great bigs like Tyson Chandler do not grow on trees. Asik was the best big we could get and even then we were lucky to steal him from Chicago.

People mention how fortunate Chandler, Fields, and Novak were to have Lin. Aside from Fields, both Novak and Chandler helped Lin in the PnR by drawing defenders away from the paint and/or setting incredible picks and being potent finishers.

We don't have that here in Houston. There is no guaranteed knock-down 3p like Novak in Houston, and there definitely is not a good roll man like Chandler. It's silly to believe that Lin can come close to reciprocating the same numbers he did in Knicks. Chances are for the rest of the season we'll see the same guy we've seen all year long - a player that scores by driving but can't because a) defenders sag off him because he can't shoot b) the personnel isn't here to stretch the defense.

You'll see maybe 2-3 baskets a game where Lin manages to break down the defense, but that isn't going to be a routine shot selection for Lin - especially not against good defensive teams - because the Rockets and Lin make it too easy to block the PnR. Lin will average between 10-12 points a game like he's doing already because unlike in NY where he could break down his man and have a free lane to the rim, defenses are much tighter when facing the Rockets.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You don't know what elite means

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yeah I don't know if you can classify his PNR skills as elite. At least I don't have the numbers to back that up. His PPP as the PNR ball handler this season ranks him 47th in the NBA up from 67th last year. Top 50 is definitely excellent, or at the minimum very good. Harden is 3rd in the NBA in PPP as the PNR ball handler that is elite.

Just a few thoughts.

7. fattz

fattz Member

Still to early to say that. We have not seen all the bigs get the playing time needed to make such a statement (21 games into the season). The coaching is very lacking thus far, IMO. Maybe a change in coaching styles would help the rotation as well (and Lin). We are young but went from good D team to a top ten scoring team with all the same players:eek: (but then we started lacking D:confused:). Good or bad the players can play as well as they are coached. What is KM coaching style? I have seen our players can play on both ends. Can he coach both ends.

I still think we have players playing for RGV that are better now then starters on the team. (no telling what their upside is when there is no playing time for a baseline.) I know it is a long season (and the trade deadline will come). Lin and Harden will work it out.
    In time is the answer. but question is who are we as a team? (which is a bigger question than Lin and the Pn'R)

8. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

they actually did a double pnr vs washington. i can see mchale working on this some more going forward...

9. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

but isnt houston's offense predicated on shots at the rim and 3's? cutting clogs the lanes and so nobody cuts in this offense... what i'd like to see lin do when he is wide open is to give up the 3 and drive sometimes. but of course the offense is centered around a bazillion 3pt fgas....

10. just a word

just a word Member

[QUOTE;7434787]This season, Sellers returned to the United States as an assistant at Hofstra. Last week, Sellers watched Lin come off a high screen with the Knicks and stop. His defender bumped into him, and Lin accelerated for an easy layup.

Soon after, Sellers was teaching the pick-and-roll to his Hofstra players.

“Come off the screen and slow down, like Jeremy Lin,” he told them. “Jeremy Lin comes in, and he’s always at his own pace. He never gets rushed.”

Sellers had found the words they would all understand.[/QUOTE]

Oh. Hmm, this makes me wonder if he's gotten all his deceleration abilities back, because didn't Morey say in that one interview that his deceleration still wasn't at pre-surgery levels?

11. BallWiz

BallWiz Member

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Answer: I think J lin needs to man up and do his thing with the ball sometimes and stop passing so dam much passing is good but hes passing and hiding do your thing man DO IT.