1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Lin's breakout game mean going forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. zdrav

zdrav Member

From a purely statistical point of view, sure. But 38-8 will be an outlier for practically every player though, so that's a pointless road to take.

Let's stick the main issue here, which is this: Will good play be the exception for Lin, or the norm?

2. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Look, let's stop arguing amongst ourselves.

larsv8 is making a simple point and there is no need to argue.

He is saying that Lin sucks, no matter how many 38 and 7 games he has, because lars has made up his mind. If he cools down to 16 and 9, then lars will understandably call him a scrub. He wants to trade Lin sometime this month (honest, it's in one of the recent Lin threads -- I'll dig it up if anyone doubts) for someone non-Lin.

By the way, where did I get that 16 and 9 from? Those are the current numbers this season for . . . Chris Paul.

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Not for Harden :)

And I think that you are missing that that is the issue. Right now it is an outlier for this season and should be seen as so until he plays consistant good basketball. Encouraging? Very much so. But let's take it for what it is, for now.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

Agreed.

But players who suck almost never explode for 38-7 twice within their first 50 starts.

You'd think that a real Rockets fan would be happy about this prospect, but I guess some hold their own personal grudges against certain LOFs higher on the priority list than wanting their team to do well.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You would think but people really hate to be wrong even if it means cheering against their own teams success. I won't lie i really didn't care for Lin prior to him coming to the Rockets but now that he is hear I hope he proves me wrong. I still worry about his ability to play nice with other stars but hopefully they figure something out.

6. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

My god. So many haters. I mean what does Lin have to do to get some respect? If he has a bad game, he sucks. If he has a good game, he still sucks. If he still has a phenomenal game, he is just not that good. I mean its one thing if he gets that from Knicks fans but our own fans.

You are right, when it comes down to it, there is nothing Lin can do, short of consistent LBJ performance to change their views of him. I just hope the coaches are not obtuse as some of these dudes and do not revert back to the horrible system that clearly was not working.

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

The hatred is pretty baffling.

I don't buy the "Blame the LOF" argument. Lots of players have annoying supporters, but I don't judge players on what kind of fans they have.

No, it's just an excuse. Certain people were against Lin from the start. Who knows why? Maybe they're inherent authoritarians who can't stand it when the experts and the establishment are proven wrong. *shrugs

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

2 great games really don't give all that much indication at all, it really doesn't

Did you know at age 25

Devin Harris had
    a 47 8 game
    a 41 13 game
    a 42 6 game

9 other games with 30 or more points

and like 16 games with 10-14 assists a game

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It shouldn't be baffling. It is no different than the Tebow haters. When the media covers you non stop and acts like you can do no wrong it gets annoying to some people. Throw in annoying supporters and you've got yourself a recipe for hate.

10. lfw

lfw Rookie

I've been meaning to make a Devin Harris is a joke thread in the DISH. :grin:

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

It is a shame that people couldn't be more mature and look past the hype & the annoying fans & focus on what is more important wins & basketball. Just a thought.

12. zdrav

zdrav Member

Devin Harris was a pretty promising player at one point. Dunno what happened to him...

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I agree if you are a rockets fan but otherwise its just fans being fans. Sports thrives off of hate and love for players. Its what makes it so much fun sometimes.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

Nobody ever mistook Tebow for a even an adequate QB though. Ever. Plus, many people perceived him to be obnoxious with his overt Christianity.

Even the biggest LOHs don't have problems with Lin personally, and they would have to admit that at his best, Lin has looked like an excellent player.

Apples and oranges.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Tebow the college player was world's above Lin the nba player. The hate for Tebow was strong back then too when the media was treating him like Jesus.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I wasn't talking about the player only fans. Although they are definitely a problem. I was talking about the people who overly focus on the player only fans & make it there life goal to troll them & don't post anything constructive on this board. Also talking about the people who are overly sensitive about player only fans. Both parties are extremely immature. I don't care if you are a player only fan at least post insightful stuff on the board about your boy. I don't care if you hate player only fans get off your high horse & focus on what matters, the team & wins (not feuding with player only fans, hating player only fans or hating nba players because they have player only fans).

17. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

When devin harris did that, he was already 5 years in the league and at his peak...

We have not seen Lins peak yet.. this is basically Lin's 2nd year...

18. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Devin Harris. Born Feb 1983. Age 25 was his 5th season in the NBA. Why did apollo pick this age?

It was his best season of his career. It ranks #1 for his career for minutes played, started all 69 games, #1 in FG attempts, #1 in FG, and of course #1 for him in points scored.http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harride01.html#totals::none

This is being done in Lin's first 50 games. We don't have to search through 8 years of stats and cherry pick the best to show that he is going to be a bust. By the way, Lin had numerous games last year where he scored in the mid to high twenties and had excellent games -- it's not 2 out of 50.

But if you want to cite some misleading stats from the best year of a 9 year player to try to make Lin look worse . . .

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

OR maybe he picked it because it was the first time Devin Harris was given the ball and told that the team was his. Those first Lin games were him playing heavy minutes. It's a better comparison than you are acknowledging.

20. torocan

torocan Member

Devin Harris not only did that in his 5th year, but he was an all star in 2009, and put up 21.9 ppg and 6.9 assists in the 2008/9 year.

While his overall career wasn't amazing he also suffered a number of injuries to his shoulder, ankle and legs throughout his career. He was far from an Average player.

If Lin turns out anywhere near Harris without the injury history, he'll be FAR from average.