1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think of your job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
?

What do you think of your job?

1. Love it

16.0%
  2. Like it

45.3%
  3. Meh

23.6%
  4. Dislike it

5.7%
  5. Hate it

9.4%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Simple poll. Was recently moved from a job that I was meh about to one that I hate, and I'm finding it hard to motivate myself enough to do the simple, menial tasks assigned to me. So I was wondering how common this is and whether people generally like their job or not.

So, what do you think of your job?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Meh
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't mind taking care of things around the house all day. :)

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Most people I know generally dislike their jobs or are meh about it (pays the bills). The few who hate theirs soon go do something they can tolerate more.

4. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I like what I do and I like the people I work with.

However, I was brought on to the company a few years ago (first job out of school) not making much. I have received a few raises over the past few years, but I am still severely underpaid compared to my co-workers. I am now a supervisor to a handful of people, but my direct reports make 20%+ more than me. It is frustrating, to say the least. I have started to look at other jobs, but the grass is always greener.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you hate it, why are you $till there? :confused:

You have to at least like some aspects of it.

Get out of Dodge if you can't stand the heat.

6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm kind of in the middle of "meh" and "dislike" but went ahead and put dislike.

I'm in a similar position to jank. I'm a manager, and a person they brought in to report to me was making the same amount. I eventually got a raise, but it wasn't what I wanted. Besides that, the company just really isn't doing all that well. We don't meet our goals and therefore no one gets a bonus, no matter how hard we work. I'm in accounting, so I'm more of a cost center anyway and don't really have an overall impact on the company, which is another reason I'm pretty blah about the whole thing.

Reason I stay is it is good money and it is stable. I don't work weekends or very late and have pretty decent benefits (other than the bonus thing). My pay is in line with what it should be, just feel if they're going to pay people below me the same, they should pay me more. Honestly, if I hadn't known about it, it would probably not be a problem.

Eventually I'd like to branch out and start my own company of some sort. But, I have a kid on the way, so stable is the way to go for now.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm going to say 'meh'.

My job is tolerable. I don't exactly jump out of bed every morning and sing in the shower because I can't WAIT to get to work....but at the same time, I don't dread it either (most of the time). I'm currently not looking for greener pastures, but at the same time, I'd bail in a second if something better fell into my lap.

Key is having a good home life. Makes having a so-so work life tolerable.

Work to live, don't live to work.

1 person likes this.
  8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My job is about to get real exciting.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Consultant for a large IT MSP. ****ing hate it.

10. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Nice try, boss. Nice try.

11. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I walk in the office door and am instantly deflated. My life has become Office Space. I work in a sea of cubicles full of gossip and passive aggressive emails. I am looking for other jobs and putting resumes out, I am just waiting on the right one. I need something more fulfilling.

[​IMG]

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd say 50% of the time it's meh, 30% of the time I dislike it, 10% of the time I hate it, and 10% of the time I like it.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn, ~70% of people like or love their jobs. That's way higher than I expected. Good for yall. I hope to join that group someday!

My current role sucks ass. When I agreed to take this job it was explained to me as something entirely different. Basically, I was told I would collect and analyze data, and create reports and make recommendations for those in leadership. Which is exactly what I was doing before. It wasn't anything great, but it wasn't bad. I wasn't really wanting to leave my old role, but it was either take this new one or get laid off.

Now, I'm pretty much just booking meetings for other people, printing out things for other people, making sure other people sign off on items when they're supposed to, and other BS tasks. It is a glorified administrative assistant job but without any of the good parts (free food, gifts, etc.) Not that there's anything wrong with being an AA, but I didn't know that was what I signed up for. So yeah, I hate it. I'm applying like crazy elsewhere because I am seriously considering just walking out, honeymoon and mortgage be damned.

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I loved my job until just recently, now I'd say I like it. I'm really wanting to grow and have more diverse responsibilities outside of staffing and recruiting. Would love to do more employee relations, FMLA, compliance, and still handle some staffing and recruiting. Basically, I think it's time for an HR Generalist position.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I love getting paid and providing for my family so I like my job.

I would rather be working in a sports related field.

16. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Meh, getting me through college and extremely flexible. Really not much to complain about except that I've been doing it for several years and it is monotonous.

17. yobod

yobod Member

18. lean

lean Member

I like my job, though I just figured out how much less I'm making than everybody else lol

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I'm a teacher, and I LOVE my job. It's difficult, but I get the personal satisfaction of helping kids learn.

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Pays the bills and there are much worse jobs I could be doing. I like my job for the most part but wish some of my coworkers weren't so damn lazy.