1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dm324, May 31, 2002.

1. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Since there is internet voting, do you think what happened to the mariners would happen to the rockets since more of their games would be broadcast in china, an allstar starting lineup of Ming,Taylor,griffin,mobley, and Francis, one thing I guarantee would happen is no matter how good or bad ming is he will start the all star game every year, we have 250 million fans in america, how many are in China? O yea over 1 billion

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

The question is:

Assuming the Rockets draft (and keep) Ming, will there be All-Star ballot stuffing (much like there was in baseball)?

==
    For Ming - I think there might be. However, if he is less than average, I see the league trying to change the rules (eg: eliminating internet balloting, or limiting it to one vote / IP address) after the first year.

For Steve/Cat/EG/etc - Less so. Ming fans are not necessarily fans of the rest of the Rox. Its an advantage, sure, but not *that* huge of one.

However, the All-Star Game is just a show and a contract grab. Does anyone really pay attention to it anymore?

4. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

Well, you can't assume 1 Billion. It would have to be Chinese NBA fans who have an internet connection and bother to vote. Plus, it would probably help to understand English since it would be on NBA.com.

Still, that probably leaves a real good amount.

But if Ming truly stunk it up (like 3.5 ppg, 5 rpg) but got voted into the all-star game I'm sure the NBA would step in and find a reason for him not to play. It would be a black eye on the NBA if a REALLY undeserving player started the all-star game because of internet voting.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ming will not start over shaq and duncan in the all-star game.

they get 3 times the amount of votes of any other player at that position in the west. ming may come close but no cigar.

he may make it as a reserve even if he does not realy deserve it. you never know what david stern will do for publicity.

you know how they always say "X amount of countries will see this game. its being broadcast in Y amount of laguages. Z amount of tv sets will be tuned in"?

i know stern is drooling over the chance that he may be able to increase those already rediculously large numbers.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Eddie, guess which country has the most English speakers. I'll give you a guess, it isn't the United States. I doubt they'll have trouble figuring it out either way.