1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about Omer Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by exagg, Jan 1, 2013.

1. wendzall

wendzall Member

when he plays well rockets usually win. his presence near the basket is crucial both ways for this team. in the near future he is going to become a serious force to reckon with.

also enjoy his quirky personality.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Omer!!!!!!!

The yellow Yao Ming.

3. Grigori

Grigori Member

Positive:

He is God.

Negative:

God is inconsistent at the free throw line.

1 person likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

He has been a pleasant surprise. Clearly, he is an elite rebounder; sucks balls out of the air at 10-12 feet. Relatively agile for his size. He plays aggressively and is very physical. He is improving offensively; I see potential. Very impressed with him.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

To me, this isn't the case. Would anyone else like to agree to disagree that Asik is a poor screen setter?

6. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

He is the best screener in Rox.

7. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I've seen him set a lot of illegal moving screens....but I have also seen minor improvement in that area. IMO, still subpar.

8. AggieRocketFan96

Omer is very much a pleasant surprise although the Rockets organization has coveted him for a couple of years. Considering his $8 million per year price tag, I consider him an absolute bargain. He is a true center and his defensive presence alone is worth his weight in gold. Rockets are very lucky to have him and having locked up a true young center with plenty of upside for a relatively paltry sum is a major piece not to have to worry about going forward.

9. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Big body and moves his feet well. The screens looks good to me.

10. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

if you mean screen only. If you mean the ability of finishing off the PnR, Smith is slightly better.

11. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

illegal moving screen is indeed the TO of ball handler. That is the hander drive to the basket when the screen is not set.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Merhaba!

Asik has been a huge surprise, not many of us thought he'd be able to play as well as he has offensively. We got him for his defensive ability so being a possible interior scorer in the paint is definitely a plus. But really I think it's his hustle, work ethic, and committment to improve is what makes him a top 5-10 center. There aren't many true centers in the league anymore and even less with the drive to work hard and improve. That's why he gets my 2nd MVP rating on the rox behind harden.

By the way where are from in Turkey? I spent a summer in bursa 12 years ago. Welcome to the board.

13. monster

monster Member

Currently the 2nd most important player on this team.

14. instar

instar Member

when he's good, he's good.
    when he's bad, still rebounds.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

My favorite new addition to the team, great defense, shows signs of improvement to his offensive game and a legit big man. Wouldn't trade him for anyone currently in the NBA, except maybe that young Davis fellow in New Orleans with the unibrow.

16. liunatic

liunatic Member

He's a bad finisher off the pick and roll, not a bad screen setter. People think it's synonymous because finishing off the screen is the end result of setting a good screen. If you don't finish the play/catch the ball and make the defense pay...the screens become less and less effective because the defense can easily focus on 1 option (since the other is pretty much a TO or missed shot)...

He's a good screen setter though. We need to just figure out how to finish the plays.

17. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Good screener, but mediocre roller due to inconsistent hands and finishes. One game, it'll be great. Another game, disaster happens. If he can soften his hands, it'll make life easier on Harden and Lin.

It's funny. When he came to the NBA, it was known that he got pretty good hands. It might be the lack of experience as an offensive threat when he's a backup in Chicago. The stamina issue doesn't help neither.

18. JohnGreatest

JohnGreatest Rookie

Lmao.. seriously u guys r funny
    I know wut u talking about ,make a shout out from hoopchina

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

He sets good screens. This comment puzzled me.

20. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I thought he would be quite good, but he's surpassed my expectations. The defense and rebounding are great and maybe exceed my expectations a bit. He sets much better screens than I thought he would, and he's quite good at rolling to the basket. His offense and putting the ball in the basket can be awkward, but he's far from the complete non-factor I thought he would be. When he signed, I had visions of Joey Dorsey level ineptitude.

The thing that most impresses me is his ability to ignite the fast break. He's so good and cleaning the glass, and when Asik gets that rebound he immediately turns and fires a pass downcourt to Linn, Harden, or Douglas so they can push the tempo and try to score quickly. This disappears when Smith comes in or another big man gets the ball.