1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you think about Ben Simmons now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 8, 2016.

?

What do you think about Ben Simmons?

1. Going to be great

55 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Meh, will be ok, can't shoot

25 vote(s)
    28.7%
  3. Will be a bust because he can't shoot

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

hahaha I knew it.
    This thread is a "I told u so" thread basicaly made to advertise OP's delusion of his own self importance and greatness as a basketball scout and savvant.

"If u can't see what I saw by watching a SL game u are not good enough.
    Oh? And after a while if he indeed gets good I'm going to bump this thead so everyone can admire me.
    If not and he doesnt' end up any good, then everyone will have forgotten about it."

2. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6uChwZw0HKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Dude it takes real balls to put yourself out there and say that a #1 pick in the draft has a good chance at being great.

[​IMG]

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I predict that those taken with the first 5 picks of this draft will have better NBA careers than those drafted in the bottom 5.

Feel free to bookmark this post and bump it in 10 years. I will be found to be correct, for I am a basketball genius.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It doesn't get me excited to see a guy dominate the scrubs of this league. I remember Dan Langhi dominating summer league before his rookie year and we know how he turned out.

6. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

He has some great passing instinct. Better than most point guards coming out. Nice handle on the rock and good strength size and athleticism. Will be interesting how the 76ers use him.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

Im surprised with how good his court vision is

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

watch out team USA, were coming

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

You don't forget summer league goat Tskitishvili

10. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Qyntel Woods lit up summer league one year.

I'll be a believer once I see him score relatively consistently against real NBA competition. Those drives in the highlights looked like the product of bad summer league defense. And he didn't even finish most of those.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Worst case scenario is he's another Evan Turner. All that skill and talent with no reliable jumpshot or means to score in the halfcourt other than ISO-ing.

Developing that jumper will be key. That'll enable him to blow by defenders, get to the FT line and make him a complete terror to guard in the halfcourt.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Effort? A good attitude? Passion?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Get off your pedestal. What you think you are and what you are in reality are very different.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Once again, this is wrong. And let's just set aside this issue entirely for a second...Magic could score from day 1. He could score in a variety of ways, well beyond "finishing." You describe him like he was Rondo. That is a terrible, terrible comparison.

A guy doesn't score 19 ppg for his entire career, right out of the gate at age 20, with only the ability to finish. And now I expect you to say, "Well, it was all in transition" like Magic didn't go out of his way to be the last option to score on fastbreak, giving out dimes instead.

Seriously doubt you watched Magic's whole career...if any of it, live.

Please describe how Magic scored. Because I don't think you have a clue. Or maybe you are just using a common fan tactic to knock down a Legend's abilities in order to prop up the potential of new player.

Man, I really want Simmons to be just as magical...but also not expecting it. Magic was a 10 in many aspects of basketball. Simmons will be doing good to become a 10 in one of them. There hasn't been another Magic in 35 yrs for a reason. I suggest you lower your bar for now.

#54 heypartner, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Gotta agree. Calling Magic a "terrible shooter" is dumb. Just wow.

Sanity is calling him a terrible 3-point shooter most of his career. But his versatility made up for it in spades.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Some of the posters here are real dumb.

They're comparing players that were flash in the pan summer leafue standouts because they got hot and scored on inferior competition to someone who has arguably shown top 10 PG courtvision and innate feel for the game with a PF body and height and athleticism to guard 1-5.

What Simmons has shown isnt going to go away with better competition. Yes, he'll have an adjustment period. But he's going to be great.

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stand by my original thoughts on Ben. He's a Magic/Bias blend, an evolutionary player....

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Magic was a scorer from Day 1, look at the Finals Game 6 and read what he said to his dasd before the game, for example.

I saw him from his rookie season in LA. I saw how he ran the team. I saw his babyhook, after waving off Mr Skyhook, over KMc.

Magic Johnson was great great great, could do it all. Rookie year thru ASG after retirement, when he was a reborn Lake post-HIV.

And damn, that man had a heart and a mind on a basketball court.

Find better answers.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

As long as the gent ain't DOA. But, just how big is his heart? I have nary a clue. Yet.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

oh gee i dunno. i always thought he was gonna be the next big thing in the nba like lebron, but after watching him in the summer league i think its safe to say he wont even be on anthony bennet's level. i think this is the end of the road for simmons.