1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you guys think of Uber's threat to leave Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Brando2101, Apr 29, 2016.

?

How do you feel about the regulation complaints Uber has against the City of Houston?

1. I support Uber. Ease regulations.

51.9%
  2. I support the city even if Uber decides to leave Houston

48.1%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*chuckle*

Rocket River

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People in Austin miss Uber/Lyft so much they're requesting rides on 30,000 strong FB group with NO BACKGROUND CHECKS <a href="https://t.co/rRm30NOnvQ">https://t.co/rRm30NOnvQ</a></p>&mdash; Louis Anslow (@omosanzalette) <a href="https://twitter.com/omosanzalette/status/741637530412589056">June 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fort Worth takes different tact on paid ride market

FWST

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks like cities are doing the right thing. Illinois also decided not to require silly fingerprinting.

Austin keeps digging in though. Good luck with that

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yo. I'm not sure if you guys are aware but the state legislature in on its way to creating new regulations for ride sharing services that would override all local laws which would affect Houston and Austin the most.

We at least know that the senate will definitely pass it however they are much more conservative and tend to put the state over local interests most of the time since they have a much smaller portion of their district that are city based. They absolutely ripped a very annoying Austin city council member a new one during hearings. I don't know how the House will handle the bill since a number of them are based more in cities however if this becomes a party issue then it should be approved since republicans have a super majority in the house. The other hangup is that the texas legislature is designed to kill most proposed laws. There will be a big enough debate about the bathroom bill and budget in the house but those are more of D+D issues.

The bills bring Uber and Lyft back to Austin which will be great. Lyft would likely return to Houston which should hopefully make Uber prices more competitive. It'll definitely increase the number of drivers in Houston by removing all of the red tape to getting on the road. So many of Lyft/Uber drivers are very casual and only really drive at times where the demand is the highest like weekends or during events. I would be one of those people that would be more more likely to do it every now and then but I wouldn't bother if I had to go do a bunch of **** to get approved.

There are 3 bills under consideration in the Senate:
    Senate Bill 176 from Schwertner, a Georgetown Republican, Senate Bill 361 from state Sen. Robert Nichols, R-Jacksonville, and Senate Bill 113 by state Sen. Don Huffines, R-Dallas. The House Transportation Committee heard testimony on House Bill 100 by Paddie, R-Marshall. There are notable differences among the bills, but what they all have in common is that cities would be banned from regulating ride-hailing services and the state would be in charge instead.

I should acknowledge personal hypocrisy that I am very in favor of this bill even though I favor local regulation of other matters like a bag ban. The reason is that I feel local justifications for these regulations are based on the pressure from taxi lobbyists discussed as a conversation about rider safety. Meanwhile, there are features that were in Lyft+Uber that increase rider safety like the ability of a friend to track your location in real time.

Even if you disagree with the law, at least it will free up all the time that has been spent discussing Uber/Lyft in cities and get them to focus on things that are actually hurting the city instead of services that improve upon existing city transportation resources.

That's what is one of the not so D+D things going on down the street at the capital.

6. cebu

cebu Member

Uber is good for passengers but I feel bad for drivers because UBER gets more money. It's not even funny.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whatever happened to local control? I guess it's just a campaign slogan. Useful during an election, perhaps, and dropped like a hot potato when some people give campaign donations to members that don't live anywhere near the cities exercising their local control. Austin has been dealing with exactly this legislative problem for years and years.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yee, that's how a job works.

Brando2101 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I usually prefer local regulation over state regulation and absolutely over federal regulation, but I feel like in this instance it is a positive enough thing to override local rules. I'm sure my friends in Austin will be happy about Uber coming back.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't try Uber Eats or Door Dash then. I have no idea how those guys aren't losing money.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Uber loses a crapton of money though.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. TheresTheDagger

As an Uber driver (not in Texas) I can tell you this is VERY true. If only UBER would actually advertise for riders more OR limit the number of drivers...we could actually make some money.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm torn on this, too, @Brando2101. I feel like the city of Austin passed a local regulation devoid of any actual public safety merit that was also, at worst, potentially influenced by campaign contributions by the taxi companies. However, I feel it was within the city's right to do such a thing and I don't know how I feel about the state overriding that (considering that access to Uber is not a civil right).

I've always thought that Austin was a trial balloon issued by Uber: a medium-sized market, with national attention for its nightlife and festivals, that Uber could use as precedent for what type of local regulations it would put up with. After all, you don't get to a $60+ billion valuation if your business is forced to jump through hundreds of unique municipal hoops. They were just as within their rights to leave the city as Austin was to pass its ordinance.

However, the companies that have filled the void are laughable. I can't believe anybody thought that Fasten, Fare and RideAustin would be ready to go for SXSW when they routinely crash after UT football games. For a town where drinking and partying is such a large economic driver, it's embarrassing that we've pushed ourselves back to where I was in college: waiting for cabs to not show up and/or refuse fares, flagging down pedicab drivers, etc. all because the three Uber stand-ins don't have the scale to stress test their products.

14. TheresTheDagger

Lyft doesn't operate in Austin either?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Austin is full of hipsters and hippies, thus they aren't allowed to have nice things.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, but Lyft was clear from the beginning that they don't operate in any city with the fingerprint requirement. Uber does in certain markets.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Uber is not making money. They are losing billion subsidizing rides.

18. dmoneybangbang

This. It still has ways to go before it's a profitable company.

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Exactly. The only ones profiteering are the greedy Uber drivers.

When I was growing up "rideshare" was free.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think you'll see that until they are using self driving cars.