1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you expect from our superstars?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jetfuel, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

There seems to be a general consensus that it is superstars that get teams into the playoffs and ultimately win championships. Having good roleplayers around them is important and these players come and go, but the fate of this franchise for the forseeable future is going come down to how our superstars perform and gel on the court.

Since somehow every thread gets turned into a Lin thread it would be nice if we could avoid bringing him into this conversation. Whether people like it or not and whether he has star potential or not (and I think he does) he is a roleplayer on this team for the coming season at least. Parsons too has star potential as does Asik. But let's stick to Harden and Howard.

What do you expect from these guys on the court? What do they need to do to take the Rockets to the holy grail of an NBA title? I don't want to get caught up in points/assists, because those will come regardless for these two heavyweights.

Harden: There are three issues here, defense, burnout and offensive burden. For me, it all starts with the offensive burden. Last season he had too much responsibility on his shoulders to carry the team. Sometimes he pulled it off and sometimes he held the ball till two seconds in the shot clock before passing it to someone else for a bad shot.

I think harden needs to improve his decision making and trust his teammates more. He has to pass and faster. If he swings the ball early enough, there's a chance it could come back to him for the finish. Having Dwight is a game changer in this regard but Harden's going to have the rock in his hands come crunch time and his decision making is going to be the difference between winning or losing.

I think he has potential to grow as a player and I think fundamentally he is not a selfish guy. Hopefully he learns to trust his team mates more and read the game better.

If he can do this, then I think he will have more energy on the defensive end. And really, as far as I'm concerned, if Harden really wants to be called a superstar, there can be NO EXCUSES this season for a lack of defensive effort. This is something Houston fans should not tolerate. If we want a championship, NO ONE gets a free pass. And please don't bring up has been Kobe for comparison.

While I want the discussion to center on the superstars, it has to be said that for McHale to reduce Harden's minutes, the other guys need to step up. I think our second unit will destroy that of most other teams which is going to be a big game changer for the Rocket's this season.

In summary, I expect big things from Harden, this is his moment to step up and show us his CHARACTER as a LEADER. Will he make the necessary sacrifices be that in points or assists and put the win above all else? I believe he has it in him to do that.

Howard: I didn't watch a lot of the Lakers last season because they make me want to puke. And the big question mark over Howard remains the issue of chemistry in the locker room and his role on the court.

I think we are going to see a different Howard this season, a Howard close to the guy that took Orlando to the finals. I think he will continue to struggle with free throws but that issue is not going to hurt us nearly as much as most people fear or predict.

The key for Howard will be to be willing to fit in OUR offense, to play the pick and role. He's got the supporting cast for it, an elite pick and roll guard in Harden and a very useful backup option in Lin. He has to recognise his own limitations and not create a situation where he has to be given the ball and be allowed to go to work. This team has too much talent to waste on ISO possessions. Harden, Parsons, Lin, Beverly can all finish well. Howard has to be content to draw the double team, to be an impassable barrier on defense and to finish the easy looks, rising strong like Thor's very hammer to come slamming down the hoop over his opponent's battered remains.

I think Howard will be willing. He knows the LA b**** media is just waiting for an opportunity to tear into him. They'd love nothing more than to be able to call him a chemistry destroyer and a selfish statwhore. He's going to be determined to prove everybody who has doubted him wrong and show that he IS a team player.

A lot of people complain about Westbrook's chucking and how it costs Durant touches, but look what happened to OKC once Russel went down?

The one thing we cannot afford is a divide between our superstars and some fake debate about who should be number one.

There should be no number one option or number two option. There should be the team. Move the ball, find the open guy, score the basketball and WIN.

I believe the Rockets can do it and if Howard and Harden both play like they can and with the mentality of champions then there is no stopping this team.

And really that is big question mark. Do these two guys have a championship mentality. Are they leaders of men?

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

not 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....... infinite championships.

3. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Cute.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I have substantially lowered my expectations.

25 and 5 rbs 4 as Harden
    21 and 13 Dwight

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Similar performance to last year from Harden, but one more assist and one less turnover per game from natural improvement plus having a guy who can actually catch the ball in the painted area (Dwight).

For Dwight, it is harder to know what to expect. It depends so much on whether his health returns to peak form. He could be anything from Lakers Dwight (still the best center in the league, but not a top 5 player) to age 25 in Orlando Dwight (third best player in the NBA) or anywhere in between.

All we really know is that he's a substantial upgrade over Asik, and an all star caliber player. Anything else is speculation until we get the season underway and see how things go.

6. jocar

jocar Member

I think you've complained about this more times than he's actually done it!

And I'm kinda curious if you still believe this...

7. conquistador#11

greatness anything less would be uncivilized.

harden 23 pts a game but goes after it defensively!

howard 25.6 pts a game, 1st team nba everything.

8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I watched almost every Rockets' game last season and Harden did that far too often for my liking.

Just because he is a 'superstar' should not make him immune to criticism. He's only 23 after all and it was his first season being the main guy on the team so naturally his decision making isn't going to be as sharp as in a couple of years time when he's had more experience in the role.

Nevertheless that is an area where he needs to and I expect he will show a lot of improvement this season.

If you are serious about the Rocket's winning a title with Harden and Howard then these kind of intangibles are going to make all the difference.

Can we please have ONE thread that is not turned into a thread about Lin?

I'm not interested in helping you derail this topic so please go troll elsewhere. If you want to talk about Mchale and Lin start a thread on it and I'll be happy to discuss it with you there.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Win games through their sheer force of will

without practice

10. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Not to keen on predicting stats but if that's lowered expectations I wonder what raised expectations would be.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I expect a championship from Lin.

12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

If Lin can finally be consistent and not turn the ball over so often and get his PER up to respectable levels then we have a chance.

13. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

You make it sound like Lin is the only thing holding this team back, which is verifiably false.

14. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

What do I expect from our superstars?

Wins. Duh.

Next topic, please.

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

Harden plays defense and uses his mid-range game.
    Howard improves his post moves and free throw shooting.

The real superstars are Morey and Les, however.

16. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I love James Harden as much as any Rockets fan and I'm excited about Dwight joining the team. However, the 'superstar' tag is used rather loosely these days. I'll call them superstars when Harden plays defense and Howard has a solid offensive arsenal. With that being said, I still think they are going to be one of the best duos in the league this year and they should be a contender for the title.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I expect them to know the difference between a Heineken and a Budweiser. Is that too much to ask for?!?

18. PatBeverleyFan

Championship or traded!

/thread

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Dwight 18 pts, 13 rebs, 2.5 blks, DPOY!

Harden 21 pts, 4 rebs, 4 assist. Will start playing good defense this year

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Howard: statistically somewhere between last season's Howard and NBA Finals Orlando Howard with a better attitude than either version. 20/13.5, 3 bpg.

Harden: stats slightly lower across the board with the exception of a slight uptick in assists and 1 fewer TO per game. Similar shooting percentages to last year. 24/4.5 rpg/6+apg