1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you consider old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by no_answer, Jan 5, 2023.

?

How old is OLD?

1. 30-40

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. 41-50

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. 51-60

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 61-70

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  5. 71-80

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. 81-90

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. 90+

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last night I had randori (judo sparring session) at a memorial for local Sensei who passed away. I’ve done very little randori for the last two years after I got my shoulder reconstructed. I got a knee in the face from a 25 year old that I think might’ve loosened a molar and felt so sore after it hurt taking my clothes off. Having trouble moving around this morning.

JumpMan and Xerobull like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's usually how it is. I remember when 35 seemed old as a teenager. Another funny reality check is how people always think their old classmates look so old at reunions or funerals when they haven't seen them in years. They all go home and talk about how old everybody else looks compared to them, when in reality they look as old as the rest. :p

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Unintentional comedy. :p

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There’s a definite appearance gap between yourself and the same age group that starts mid-30s if you take care of yourself, don’t drink and especially don’t smoke (or the other way around) The gap widens as you and your peers age. Stress is a factor, too, but regular exercise absolutely mitigates that to a strong degree.

I mentioned this in another thread but I ran into an old HS friend and took a pic with him. My wife said he looked like he could be my uncle.

There was a point when my mother and her sisters (who all destroyed their bodies) thought it was funny when people thought my grandmother, who has been a health nut my entire life, was their sister.

Ubiquitin, clos4life and deb4rockets like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that's true, drugs, smoking and drinking ages people quicker. There are plenty who think they look 10 years younger than they really do though. They don't notice the aging as much when they see themselves or significant others all the time. What's scary is when they're still driving with diminished eyesight, hearing, and reflexes at 90.

Xerobull likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's why it's important to get out of your comfort zone and mix with other people. Comfort (zone) doesn't facilitate growth. Do something hard or different to grow. I don't know, I guess most people don't get it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My misery is your comedy. ;)

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

"I need a new joint" does not mean what it used to mean

Rashmon likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The age that I consider old keeps getting older the more I age. As a tween, it was about 17. As a 60-something, it's now somewhere in the 80s.

B-Bob and Rashmon like this.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm in my 40s and I teach junior high. Kids always want to know or guess how old you are. A lot will guess that I'm 30 and for a long time I took it as a compliment. But then I realized that to them, 30 is super old.

I do think that people look, dress, and act younger than their counterparts did in past generations.

JumpMan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Injury, yes, that was funny. No need to be miserable about it, though. I can't be the only one with that saw the humor in the story.

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Joseph Kearns was the actor who was the original Mr Wilson in the Dennis the Menace TV series.

Born: February 12, 1907
    Died: February 17, 1962 (age 55 years)

Prior to taking that part/role, he did some work with Jack Benny and sometimes was on Our Miss Brooks. Likely other roles that I would have to look up.

I don't know how much of it was on him and how much was on the the Directors over the years, but he usually seemed to project older than his actual age.

#53 Mango, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

When chewing is uncomfortable and then having to spend a few hours fixing a sink with a sore back and shoulder that is miserable.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Some actors just look and play old. Patrick stewart was 47 when he was cast as Captain Picard while Wilford Brimley was only 51 when he played an elderly retiree in Cocoon. Morgan Freemean was 52 when he played elderly roles in Glory and Driving Miss Daisy.

Buck Turgidson and Mango like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Speaking of being old. The drummer in my band's daughter got married a couple of weeks ago and we though about doing this at her wedding.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Hollywood makeup helps too

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

That is true.

Michael Pollard (Bonnie & Clyde) was sometimes was cast younger than he really was.

I came back and did an Edit because he was Mr Wilson and not Mr Mitchell.

19. Buck Turgidson

I have Don Henley hair. I admit it. It ain't grey yet though either.

20. Buck Turgidson

Xerobull, have you seen Bryce Drew's darkness hair?