1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do ya'll think of Toro, the Texans mascot?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lynus302, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The jury is still out for me.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Since I am over the age of three, I don't really have much use for any mascot.

But, as mascots go, I'm sure he's fine.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited April 22, 2001).]

3. Band Geek Mobster

I think this football team is getting sadder and sadder.

First you have the terrible nickname.

Now you've got the stupid mascot.

I went over to the site and read Toro's bio.

I know I'm complaining about something stupid but look at Toro's favorite vacation spots.

Yeah, if I was a bull, I'd love to see my fellow bulls get abused/killed in Pamplona and the freaking Rodeo!

All this football team is doing is adding to the notion that people from Texas are stupid cowboys.

One positive though is our owner seems like a great guy and will have no problem supporting the team, too bad he has no taste in nicknames and mascots.

4. mrpaige

All Mascot bios are stupid. The Titans mascot's bio lists him as having an offseason job delivering pizzas. Why would a mascot deliver pizzas? What is supposed to be so interesting about that? Why would you tell people that your poor mascot has to have an offseason job (and it is clear that it is the mascot character that is supposed to have the job, not the guy in the suit). Their bio also says that the Titans Caravan RV ran over the mascot (and that's how he got the job as mascot. Actually, first Bud put him to work changing the lightbulbs in the stadium, then he worked his way up to mascot. Again, we're talking about the character. So, the story is, Bud's team runs over a racoon, but because Bud likes him, they give him a dangerous job replacing lights high above the stadium and let him work his way up to mascot, but still not pay him enough to prevent his needing an offseason job delivering pizzas).

It's just the way these things are. And considering that the mascots is designed for kids (who don't get into the animal rights/treatment areas of the Rodeo and the running of the bulls), it would seem natural to have the character like those things because they have bulls in them.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited April 22, 2001).]

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I think that mascot really bites. They could've definately come up with a better looking mascot. But, you know... it's for the kids... I'm sure the kids will love it.

His bio is ridiculous though. Livestock show? C'mon...

I hope our team is better thought out than this.

rH

------------------
    Homecourt will always be 'The Summit' to me!! Until we move downtown!!
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!

President, CEO & Charter Member of Rocketholics Anonymous

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Why is it odd that he listed the livestock show? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Drayton is very involved in the livestock show, and I think he even bought the best in show last year.

------------------

7. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I like the name and the logo, and I don't have a problem with the perception of Texas cowboys (after all, its what our image is), though I am not a cowboy myself.

What I want to know is why Toro isn't done up in colors like the Texan logo. Our mascot is a big, brown bull in a Texans jersey. ugh.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

8. mrpaige

Actually, I believe the bull itself is blue, rather than brown.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

9. Band Geek Mobster

Yeah I just took a brief nap and the whole "Texas" theme isn't as bad as I thought it was at the time.

Anyway I thought I'd check out some mascots that would be similar to our mascot and saw the bills mascot

[​IMG]

I think he looks much cooler than our mascot. Our mascot's too dark, a lighter shade of blue would probably make it look better.

Our mascot's outfit is just way too boring also, I've seen cooler looking High School mascots.

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 22, 2001).]

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I first saw the Texans mascot up-close, I thought it kind of looked like Bullwinkle. It's almost, but not quite, as ignorant as the Mavericks' Mavs Man. [​IMG]

... or is it Mavs Fan?
    ------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited April 23, 2001).]

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you check out the drawing of what the Mascot should look like it really looks pretty neat. It just didnt turn out as well in real life as they expected. Maybe they will continue to work on it. You gotta remember that not everybody in the organization has experience working with a sports team so they will learn.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

12. JayZ750

Thats my point. First, McNair himself IS the one making a lot of these decisions. They can talk about their surveys all they want but the team name verifies that McNair gets what he wants. Second, how many people in the marketing department have ever worked with a start-up NFL organization before? Probably not that many, as there havent been that many lately. The thing with expansion teams are that they are expansion teams. The Bills mascot up there has probably been modified and changed many times and it still doesnt look that good, but it is definitely better than El Toro.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I am indifferent about it. Though I care much about the pending team! [​IMG]

------------------
    It's my way or the highway!

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

as well he should -- the man paid $700M -- he should get what he wants. but you're being naive if you think he's off on his own, making decisions with little to no input from the many, many experienced football people he's put around him.

you honestly lost me here. so now you're moving on to a more finite point -- that everyone but him may have nfl experience, but it's not expansion experience? what in the hell is the difference? i'm anxiously awaiting further explanation of this.

if they come from organizations that have been running and operating for many decades... how is it they're ill-equipped to know what's best for an expansion franchise? should they immeaditately fire charley casserly?

------------------
    Ric
    Houston Pro Football.com

15. JayZ750

My point is that who the f-uck cares about what the Toro looks like now. It will change and will get better as time passes by as people gain more experience working with the Texans.

I applaud your love of football so much to even care about this argument, but it is just a mascot. Take a deep breath and relax a bit.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited April 22, 2001).]

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I don't give a crap about the mascot; if the Texans are a Superbowl-caliber team I'll love Toro. [​IMG]

------------------
    Chris Webber at the July 28, 2001 3:00 PM news conference when he announces where he will go:

"It seemed tough, but with guidance from Steve Francis, I learned my true destiny. That destiny is to play for the Houston Rockets, to bring them back to championship glory. One big man is all they need, and I believe I can fill that void. Thanks to the loyal fans in Sacramento, but Houston, Texas is where I belong."

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

??? for two reasons: 1)everyone in the organization BUT mcnair HAS worked for a sports team, most from other nfl teams; 2) what does having experience with a sports teams have to do with thinking up a mascot anyway? that's from the marketing department.

i think it looks like barney, but wouldn't really care even if it was barney. i watch football games, not mascots, and remain amazed at how personal people are taking the texans' insignificant decisions up to this point.

------------------
    Ric
    Houston Pro Football.com

18. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

i don't remember ever mentioning my opinion of toro in either of my responses to you -- do you? (save your time: i didn't).

i was merely trying to counter several inaccurate claims on your part (including the new one up above) about the texans' oganizational structure -- claims you seem incacapble of defending, which leads me to believe it was just an easier out for you to accuse me of needing to relax.

what if i told you i had taken your advice and relaxed a bit -- would you then try to answer for the erroneous statements you've made?

------------------
    Ric
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com

19. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Its a mascot for chrissake....why does anyone even care??

------------------
    "...more and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
    George W. Bush -- On NPR's Morning Edition (9/26)

20. JayZ750

Alright, you caught me buddy. My statements were incorrect and didnt convey the message I was originally trying to convey, which was, who cares, its a mascot, it will change over time and get better, as the organization changes over time and gets better. Ive managed to state some incorrect facts in supporting my decision, you've managed to act like a real d-ick. You win.

------------------