1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do ya'll see Brandon Backe's roll being next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Man everytime I see this guy pitch, I say too my self, "Wow, it turns out that we robbed the Devil Rays." We gave up Geoff Blum for him...a 3B that probably couldnt even hold Ensberg or Lamb's jockstrap. Another thing that amazes me is that this kid didnt even start pitching until 2001. So it got me thinking about the 2005 season. What will Backe's roll be?? Assuming Clemens comes back, I would loooove to see him in that #5 spot in the rotation. A guy like that in the #5 spot could probably win 10-12 games for you, and probably drive inquite a few runs in the 9 spot. I remember a while back when someone said that Backe is the ideal set up man. I can't remember what the reasoning was for it, but I was wondering what ya'll thought his role would be next season??

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I see a ...

Clemens-Oswalts-Pettittes-Miller-Backe rotation :eek:

but lets say ASTROS WIN THE WORLD SERIES? :) Dont you think Clemens would retire? I mean he did comeback to try to bring Houston a championship, so I dont see him coming back.

If Astros win it ALL ...

Oswalts-Pettittes-Miller-Backe-Hernadez

:)

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

With Pettite and Miller coming back, Backe will have to pitch his way into the rotation during spring traing. I don't think the Astros will just chalk him in there. Hernandez could regain his arm strength and there is still a long shot that Redding will get his head straight.

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Redding is trade bait.

5. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

He'll be the 4th or 5th starter depending on if the Rockets comes back next season. Hopefully, he's the 4th meaning the Astros won the World Series and Roger retired on top WITH his 7th Cy Young to match.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd say it's his job to lose now. He's the #4 or #5 in my book.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I don't think Miller will be back.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

9. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

How're things going with that Bucholz kid in AAA? I heard he was supposed to be a good one. Does anyone honestly think Hernandez will come back next year throwing in the 90's? I'm sorry, I just dont see it. I really hope so though because in 2 years he could be damn good.

10. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Why not???

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Yep.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Trade Bait for a bat. He's been injury-prone, and salary crunch issues make him expendable.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree that Miller probably won't be back.

I'd be OK with a Clemens-Oswalt-Pettitte-Backe-Hernandez rotation.

that is of course if the Astros dont get to the WS, because if they do, I think Clemens will call it quits.

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Lets hope that Backe don't SLOW HIS ROLL...I sure his role will be as a great ace in the hole...

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Coming off an injury WM's trade value is too low. Bat? Where, CF? C? 3B? How many moves would this portend?

Better to sign him to a 3-year deal at lowest possible salary, due to arm questions, and lock him up.

Keep Miller, he's a young Schilling, a terrific pitcher. Be well, Wade, you and Roy O are the present and the future.

16. rudager

rudager Member

I hope he's a World Series ring-wearing fifth starter under the tutelage of a seven Cy Young-winning and very greedy Roger Clemens.

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd love for that, too, but I'm also a little afraid of Roger coming back next season. I love the guy so much, I'd hate for him to tarnish his legacy like MJ did and play way under his usual level in his final season.

18. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Definitely competing for a spot in the rotation....I dont see Backe coming out of the pen. Wow, I still can't get over how we got this guy for Geoff Blum......Gerry Hunsicker is a genius.

#18 sonique15, Oct 4, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hunsicker made headlines with Clemens/Pettitte, but this was his true stroke of brilliance.

First he parlayed Blum into Backe, and then when we wanted a lefty hitting 3rd basemen, he turned a single A reliever into Mike Lamb. Backe and Lamb probably make less than Blum does. Moves like that separate the good GMs from all the rest.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Yeah...who will bite? Corpus Christi?

The only guarranteed spots on this team next spring will and should be Roy's, Roger's, Andy's and Wade's. Jimy totally mishandled the Redding 5th spot deal by uncontestedly handing it to that black hole.

Coach Garner or whoever is in charge will not be as dumb as just handing it to Backe or anybody before the 3rd week of spring training at least.

Guys like Backe, Carlos, Taylor [sp] and maybe a savvy free agent pick up or two should slug it out for starting rotation spots.

That is the way it should and will be regardless of what Backe does in this postseason.