1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we have in Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 15, 2009.

?

What do we have in Aaron Brooks?

1. Tony Parker extra extra light

252 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Leandro Barbosa Version 2.0

86 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Good, not great, backup PG

60 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Totally depends on whether Low Post Threat (like Yao) is primary option

39 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

poor man's tony parker with a better 3 point shot but not as great court-vision, ball control, or finishing ability.

2. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

How about a poor man's Steve Nash without the IQ, Brain, passing ability, Clutch, ball control, court vision, finishing ability?

These are the posts, I am seeing. Honestly, How does Aaron Brooks play like Tony Parker? They are both quick and that's it.

Comparing Aaron Brooks to Tony Parker is just like comparing Yao Ming to Hakeem Olajuwon.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Somehow I'm not convinced by your prediction. I love what Lowry has brought to the Rockets, but until he shows he can knock down the open J consistently, then I think he's best suited to come off the bench.

The things that Brooks struggles at are mostly mental mistakes that are correctable. I haven't seen anything in the playoffs so far that makes me want to swap Lowry and AB's spots just yet.

4. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

It might come down to what we see in the training camp in the off-season to figure out who will be starting. If Aaron Brooks continues to make his dumb mental mistakes then I believe Lowry will easily be starting. From what I honestly see, Lowry still doesn't really know his teammates tendencies as well as Brooks does. It's too bad, because Lowry would be much better than Brooks if he know his teammates tendencies.

That being said, His jump shot will come. It's not like he has bad wrists or huge hands or anything like that. Maybe it's just me, but I think it's easier for a player to develop their skills than their mindset in the NBA.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Still I'm not convinced by anything you said. Does Lowry not practice with the same players that AB practices with ever since the trade and AB's promotion? Doesn't Lowry get playing time during the game with the same players AB plays with? How many games does it take to be comfortable with other's tendencies? How long is training camp vs the time AB and Lowry has had after the Rafer trade to the present day?

I will be happy to see it and believe it when Lowry's jumper will be consistent. In the mean time, AB and Lowry will continue to grow and learn in their present roles.

Adelman doesn't share your opinion it seems.

6. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Never did try to convince you and never will try to convince you. I know you have a different opinion at the PG situation than I do. You aren't changing my opinion either and I'm not changing yours. We can just leave as it is.

If you have ever heard Daryl Morey talk he said he would actually have Kyle Lowry starting instead of Aaron Brooks. But oh well, Rick Adelman is coaching we will see in late October and early November to see who will be the starting PG. Nobody on this forum can determine anything.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Wow, you really love Lowry.

I'm not sure exactly what you're problem is with AB though. He has been playing lights out during the playoffs. I'm not gonna say he doesn't make mistakes, but you have to remember he's essentially still essentially a rookie. For a player to step up this big in the playoffs is very, very impressive. And its not just that he's got a hot shooting hand, he's been consistently in attack mode and finding the weak spot in the defense. Its that aggressiveness that hes been missing.

I think they both have bright futures, but right now I think Aaron's is brighter. Lowry needs to figure out how to shoot first though.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would love to have a vintage Calvin Murphy type player. Aaron has been flashing it with the little stop and pop jumper from 10 to 15 feet. A guy who can penetrate, hit threes and also have an effective mid-range game are rare and deadly. With the rule changes giving the advantage to fast players, Brooks could be a lot bigger piece on the Rockets than most of us anticipated. The challenge will be integrating his game and Yao's. I think this is where Adelman's high post offense might really be optimal for these two players. If Yao can consistently make top of the key shots then it will really open it up for Brooks to get the basket, or dish for easy layups. Using Yao more in the high post will also make it little easier on him physically.

9. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

I have no problem with Aaron, I just think he's better suited off the bench. Ever since Yao was ruled out for season, Aaron has been better. That being said, I think he is better when he is given more freedom and that freedom is usually given in the 2nd unit with Von Wafer and Carl Landry.

With Yao Ming, Luis Scola, Ron Artest, etc... You need a guy who can set them up and Lowry is the guy to do it. I prefer AB finishing games though, simply because of his ability to spread the floor with his ability to shoot the long ball. I just prefer Lowry starting because he would be really restricted and I don't think he would play any differently whether he's restricted or unlimited. Aaron's game does matter if it's restricted or unlimited.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I see what you're saying, but Yao needs shooters around him and Aaron's our best shooter. Lowry's crazed bull rushes to the basket are a nice change of pace off the bench in my opinion.

11. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

That can be a very good thing actually and What's the point of having Aaron Brooks out there if his job is suppose to be a shooter and he can't pass it to Yao? Seems pretty much no reason at all. He spreads the floor for Yao and that's it. I think even if they use Lowry's defender to double on Yao, Lowry would either be smart enough to slash or he would pull up for a easy mid-range shot. Lowry is a very smart player.

12. worzel gummidge

Options. Morey is going to have the pieces to give him the best chance of doing what he wants to do in the off-season.

If the Rockets can't get Nash, no other team is going to get him through trade.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd sure love to hear the clip when Morey said that. I do remember Morey saying that he would never tell Adelman how to play the players.

And I never heard Adelman say or hint that the starting PG role will be reevaluated next season. I believe what they call what you are expressing is "wishful thinking".

14. ibm

ibm Member

in the press conference upon lowry's arrival in houston, iirc, moery did say something to the effect that he's not sure who should start but he'd leave it to the coaches. it's reported by feigen. some may take that line as a hint of preference.

but ab is handpicked by adelman. unless we trade ab during this summer, lowry has a long way to go if he wants to beat ab to be the starting pg.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

his rookie year i was really down on brooks, i thought he'd be a career backup. i have to admit that him stepping up in the lakers series has really, really impressed me and i've got to eat some crow wrt how i saw him. that said, he's a midrange pullup jumper away from being extremely good. i don't think he'll ever be an all-star, but maybe a shorter ben gordon.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I actually listened to that podcast, it's the same podcast that Morey said he'll never tell the coaches/Adelman who to play/start.

AB would have had to totally bomb during the playoffs for the starting role to be in question. As it is, his report card so far IMO is a budding yet inconsistent player who has got the national media buzzing about him.

17. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I'm glad you mentioned Barbosa in your poll. I would love to ship out Brooks to Phoenix with fillers (Cook/Dorsey) to get him. With Nash probably leaving in 2010, Suns are desperate to replace him, and they've been interested in Brooks going back to draft day. Barbosa is a perfect backup SG for this team, and it prevents us from wasting money by re-signing Wafer.

18. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Agreed about this national media buzz. His stock won't get any higher than this, which is why I think we could get great value in return for him.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So i guess you're riding the words that Morey knows more about basketball than adelman right? Lowry is Earl Watson. Thats not a bad thing, just a guy that can help your team, no shame in that. Brooks can be special. Now we know you dont like the guy because u have a perception of what a "pg" is suppose to be, but he's just a guard in a system that doesnt feature ball dominating guards. He will get better and once he gets his in between game top shelf, he will be unstoppable.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

A short backup 2 guard that gets paid 6-7 mill per year until 2012. Somehow I think Morey will pass on that and try to resign Wafer who can most likely be signed cheaper. Just a hunch.