1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do the Clippers do now?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 17, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trade Chris Paul, sign Deandre, build a bench and get a starting caliber PG that doesn't need to POUND the ball as much as CP3, and build around Griffin.

Wallah team fixed.

DD

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Trade Griffin for Durant is much more appealing to me.
    Durant and DJ would be strong, sell on Crawford and Reddick as much as you can. Doc Rivers the GM is not good enough to get that done though...

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Yeah I know but it's still annoying.
    The bigger question is will they strip Doc of his title(is it possible? How does one do that after giving him the title?) and let Wohl act as a proper GM/Bring in another one?

I dont see it happening so not much can be done on that end.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Injury prone? Didnt he just play in all 82 games this season?
    He is still a good defender at the PG spot and one of the few point guards in the league that defends both guard spots.
    CP3 is terrible for winning basketball rings. Wow, I mean that's more than harsh. His career isn't exactly over, he just turned 30.
    Like you wrote, obviously the Clips wont do that and mainly because they're not crazy or that stupid lol. The Clips aren't that far away imo.
    As A_3PO noted, they need quality at SF and another playmaker at the guard position to take pressure off CP3. They don't need to get rid of CP3 to advance further.

5. Nook

Nook Member

You are just terrible.

God knows I love you because you are a huge Rockets fan and very passionate. I am sure we would get along well....... but you are just terrible when it comes to players and moves, etc.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think he is responding more to the rumors that have come out the DJ wants to leave the Clips because of CP3.

7. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

Bringing Austin River on was all planned out by his daddy probably even before the season started. That's why Doc let Daren Collision go.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks Chris Paul, one of the five best players in Basketball, is the problem for the Clippers should probably be banned.

The Clippers problem is Doc, the GM, Rivers.

First order of business, trade a max player away for Jared freaking Dudley. While the Reddick acquisition was a good one, Rivers has been a disaster as a GM.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Trading CP3 is rebuilding. You don't let an MVP caliber player go.

You keep CP3 and Blake. Period.

DeAndre you probably should sign. But their cap situation is so bad they may be better off letting him go and building some depth.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

I agree with one slight modifier. You don't trade a superstar unless you are getting one in return. Always get the best player in the trade.

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

It's simple:

Hire a GM.

Let Doc coach and have a heavy hand in decision making BUT have a dedicated GM. That's really what they are lacking, IMO.

If they had someone that was on the phones all day making deals they might have made a key trade or two before the playoffs to make their weak bench a little stronger...

(The only thing that Doc did was bring in Austin Rivers, his son, which does not count.)

12. i3artow i3aller

The core isn't the problem. The depth is, and that's on Doc Rivers, president of basketball operations, more than anyone else. He's the man who constructed a roster that hasn't been particularly flexible, deep or dynamic all season. Griffin and Paul each took turns taking the blame for not getting this group out of the second round. As the All-Stars there, they should.

But it's really on Rivers to get them more help and he has failed to meaningfully do that each of the past two summers. The decision to prioritize Spencer Hawes over a small forward like Paul Pierce or Trevor Ariza looks awful in retrospect. So does the decision to trade away Jared Dudley and a first-round pick to clear enough salary cap space to fill out the roster with Hedo Turkoglu and Glen Davis. That first-round pick could've helped them in trades this winter as they pursued the likes of Jeff Green or Arron Afflalo.

Yes, they got more out of Austin Rivers than most expected. But it wouldn't have been necessary to even make that trade if they'd re-signed Darren Collison last summer and didn't miss badly on Jordan Farmar.

Doc Rivers acknowledged after the series that he's got to get Griffin, Paul and Jordan more "support" this summer. It'll be hard to do that with a team that has such limited financial flexibility. But that's where the problem lies, not in breaking up the core no matter how frustrating it is to keep bumping up against the same second-round ceiling.

If anything, the Clippers should look to the team they vanquished in the first round, the San Antonio Spurs, as a model for how to reinvent your roster around an aging core rather than tear it apart after an emotional loss.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No sane person thinks Paul is the problem. You don't trade him away unless you're throwing in the towel and doing a rebuild around Griffin which sounds like a terrible idea.

But Paul IS a problem if he's driving away talent. If DeAndre takes less money(state income tax notwithstanding) to go to Dallas because he can't stand the guy, that could be an issue for the franchise. I'm not sure what the Clippers do in that scenario, but they can't just ignore it.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Rivers and Paul are their biggest problem, all three of them are vastly overrated, and the Jr should be on the D-league.

Don't be fooled by Paul's stats, the guy holds & dribbles the ball for most of the shot clock all the time, there is a reason his team has never won anything meaningful.

Basketball is a team sports, unless you are L. James who can win the games by himself with 4 scubs, you will be no use if your team cannot win.

15. binhie

binhie Member

Find ways to unload TurkeyGlue, Big Baby and Hawes and get more quality depth starting with a second rim protector. Their biggest problems came on defense when DJ came out everyone went straight to the rim.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Foxx does rivers @ 5:40 Hilarious :grin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dGidYBqBHVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  17. Asian Sensation

I like this for both sides.. Send Blake back to Oklahoma and get a superstar in return of risking Durant for nothing in return.

CP3/Durant/Jordan

Westbrook/Blake/Ibaka

Win win

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

I would trade CP3 for a package of Greek Freak, MCW, Middleon (S&T), & Pachulia.

Then re-sign DJ, pick up Crawford's option, but let Austin go. The last part ain't happening with Daddy-GM-Coach.

MCW, Crawford
    Middleton, Redick
    Greek Freak, Barnes
    Griffin, Hawes
    DJ, Pachulia

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

Trade CP3 and BG for Durant and Westbrook.

20. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

That is a horrible trade for Milwaukee.