1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Jan 2018 means EOP not BOP. What you were trying to say is 'since 2017 its gone down 60%', but that's not what you said.

Also, you chose the ATH and compared it to today........

2. adoo

adoo Member

tallanvor doubling down on his willful ignorance !

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. Commodore

5. adoo

adoo Member

that is just piecemeal reporting / cherry-picking

just to add perspective

since the beginning of 2018, i know of no other investment that has lost ~~~ 60% of its value like BTC,
    [​IMG]

in view of this,

to say that
    most fiat currencies, USD, the chinese Yuan, the Euro, the Yen and others,
    awa gold, hold their value much better than BTC, ​
    would be a gross under-statement !​

#4405 adoo, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

cash, in view of the above graphic, holds value much better thant BTC

7. Commodore

you're picking like a 50 day window when the price spiked out of the 10 year history of bitcoin and setting it as the baseline? talk about cherry picking

take any five year holding period and see what your rate of return looks like (especially if you dollar cost average, but even if you just did a one-time purchase)

Yung-T likes this.
  8. adoo

adoo Member

actually, i am analyzing the most recent trend.

as people know more about the rat poison, they don't like it, as graphically depicted by the recent gravity like down trend.
    more than 2 yrs later, BTC is still unable to recapture 50% of its value

if BTC is 1/2 as good as you wish that it was,

it'd have recaptured 50% of its value, no?​

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Since you think it sucks I'll put on 2k

10. adoo

adoo Member

glad to help, in a manner of speaking.

#4410 adoo, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  11. Commodore

We are living through the monetization of an asset. No one alive has experienced something becoming money. We've only known dollars and gold.

What we've seen with bitcoin is that adoption is not steady, it comes in hype cycles, with each new all time high significantly higher than the previous, and the inevitable pull back is still higher than the previous all time high.

There is a pull back after every hype cycle where weak hands are flushed out. But every cycle brings more strong hands, with the conviction to hold for decades, who continue to accumulate.

#4411 Commodore, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    adoo and Yung-T like this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure why you are hassling yourself with Adoo. He is either one of the most passive trolls or one of the most uninformed posters on this site. I tend to lean towards the former believing someone can't be as dense as this guy and still operate a basic keyboard.

I believe Bitcoin is one of the most innovative and practical 'tech' we have seen in a long long time. That said, it does have its flaws. If bitcoin fails, its because the masses have treated it more as a 'get rich quick' investment instead more of a currency.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'm okay with bitcoin but this isn't the best example on return, trades a few of us stated in stocks recently would wreck these returns if you placed $1200 on them, and honestly I'd take stocks any day over BTC, instant return on this and good money, hell we could go with basic stock trading (no options) on the stimulus and do very nicely with the current market as well. Then you can take that and actually own some bitcoins... Don't get me wrong I expect this to go up but I'd just rather own whole coins than fractions from the stimulus check, I mean I'm sure everyone would.

With that said, with the half rate approaching this'll go up. And I feel once it breaks away from the investment/get rich idea it'll stabilize and increase in value as the halving events continue in the future. And once that happens and it's used more to purchase things that'll help as well. - and yes I know it's used places but it's not to that USD level yet where I can go anywhere and cash is always accepted. It'll change though.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bunch of broke-ass Bitconned, Tron-holding, Dent-loving, Vechained losers in this thread. Cardano ftw. Come back and bow to me in another 1350 years... you'll see.

dmoneybangbang and adoo like this.
  15. Commodore

Holding it is using it.

A century of easy money has made us forget the concept of savings. We are compelled to either consume or invest, because the government destroys the purchasing power of our cash savings if we hold it for any period of time. This is why many individuals and companies don't have a 6 month cash fund of emergency expenses for unforeseen events like a pandemic. Because the government punishes you for holding cash.

Never buy anything with bitcoin unless the seller won't accept anything else (and that day will come).

Until then, use the inferior money that doesn't appreciate, USD.

There will only ever be 21 million bitcoin. Part with it only if you must.

It's the scarcest resource in the universe, other than your own time.

16. adoo

adoo Member

like holding pet rocks, beanie babies, Enron stock, ZZZ Best stock, tulips that were more expensive than houses, et al

17. adoo

adoo Member

care to elaborate on the supposed "practical' aspect, as claimed by you, of BTC

18. Commodore

consider why bitcoin has outlasted the items you listed

19. adoo

adoo Member

really ???

people have been buying/selling tulips for hundreds of years, still do.
    • pet rock since the 1970s, beanie babies since the 1990s
    Enron was in business from 1985 to 2001; BTC was created in 2008

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you not believe trillions in USD have not been transferred across the Bitcoin network to circumvent banking fees or legal entities? You dont have to agree with it, but its practical.