1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What direction do you think Morey should approach this deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 19, 2016.

1. rocketseagles07

Normally I'm not as high on keeping "our guys" as a lot of people on this board but unless it's a big move don't make it. More so than chemistry we actually have talent. That's another reason why I was kind of happy when d-mo didn't sign because Harrell will continue to get pt.

I really don't know about moving Ryno either this soon even if it's possible. That will look TERRIBLE to other fa's

justtxyank likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

I expect Morey to try to trade our trash for better trash.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

He shouldn't be looking to do anything. Unless he finds a way to move Brewer or McDaniels for more depth at the 5.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I could see a small trade to get another veteran guard who can do a little bit of everything. Right now everything is going smooth with gordon, harden, and beverley fitting together great, but two out of those three guys are pretty big injury risks. If one goes down, our 4th guard options take huge dips. Looks like McDaniels has fallen out of favor again, so perhaps another team (one that isn't in playoff contention) would like a look and would be willing to trade a vet away.

I know that's not a sexy answer but makes sense to me.

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

An incremental upgrade from Brewer would be great. Would stand pat otherwise.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Houston is a lot better than Indy dude.

They are a mess.

No team in the east is a contender besides the Cavs.

The Warriors Spurs Rockets clippers are way better than any team out east besides the Cavs. Utah mepmphis and the thunder would be fighting for a top 2-4 seed in the east in fact they would all be the 3-5 seeds right now.

I always said that Paul George would be a great fit here. I don't know how you get him until his FA next summer because bird won't trade him even though he's def leaving.

The moves Indy made this summer were dumb. Hill is better than Teague, Thad young is cool but he's not moving the needle one way or the other and then al Jefferson was a head scratcher. I never got the Indy hype. They were the Portland of the east imo.

I think we're a player away from beating the Warriors but I don't feel that way when it comes to us beating him the Spurs clippers or Cavs.

With that said I think those teams can't do anything to improve there team but i feel we can.

I think the rockets really do have the best chance now and moving forward to shake up the NBA and be the only real threat to the Warriors.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He'll take a shot at a huge deal, but most likely settle for Jordan Hamilton.

Os Trigonum and hakeem94 like this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Afflalo would be a great fit here. Bench unit would be:

Beverley
    Gordon
    Afflalo
    Decker
    Nene

That would carve up a lot of 2nd units.

Maybe Brewer, a 2nd rounder via Denver or Portland and the rights to Llull.

Von Rafer likes this.
  9. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I think picks are where we are going to get any value this season.
    http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Rockets.htm

So we have one 1st and 3 2nds to play with.

I have use with 4 tiers of players, you might swap some around but this is how I personally see it.
    • 1) Cant touch - Harden, Gordon, Nene* or Capela.
    • 2) Shouldn't touch - Anderson, Ariza or Beverley.
    • 3) Touch cautiously - Harrell and Dekker.
    • 4) Throw these people everywhere - KJ, Brewer, Ennis, Wiltjer, Chinanu and Brown.
    *Nene did us a solid from what others have said, so we can't trade him out of principal.

Now as pretty much anyone else except for Wiltjer-Only-Fans would agree that we would like to move everyone in Tier 4 for value if we can.

Personally I would like Gallinari and Noel. Can we get them both with Tier 4 plus the picks we have and future picks too? Maybe. Probably not though.

Beverley/Ennis
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/Gallinari
    Anderson/Dekker
    Capela/Noel

or

Beverley/Ennis
    Harden/Gordon
    Gallinari/Ariza
    Anderson/Dekker
    Noel/Capela

That team can go to war. Lots of veterans, everyone around the same age with Capela, Noel and Ennis all being 22 and can grow. The biggest drawback is the injury history of Beverley, Gordon, Gallo, Anderson and Noel. Perhaps with limited minutes we can preserve their bodies. 2nd unit plays very similar to the 1st unit, so it would be nonstop action for 48 minutes.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Of course we're miles better than Indy, but I can't see George leaving, and as you said Bird is not trading him unless he gets a top 3 pick. George is a superstar man, you just don't trade those guys.

I was simply saying of course it would be more than nice to have that guy. That's no small addition, in fact it might be the most perfect addition to our particular team.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't want Harrell to be included in a trade for Noel. That would be a setback for us.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I disagree but I would add that Philly doesn't need Harrell, they already have plenty of bigs, so he probably wouldn't be included in any Philly trade so you're probably safe. I mean it's more likely than not that a Noel trade does not happen.

D-rock likes this.
  13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

100% agree.

But I do think PG is going to bail on Indy as soon as he can.

He would be prefect he does what Ariza does but better and he can create for himself and others and finish around the hoop.

He's a great 2nd star.

Imo he's not a number 1 option on a championship team.

But then again I think there's only like 4 of those guys in the NBA (Lebron,harden,curry,KD) good thing we have one of them.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THE PRIORITY HAS TO BE to get us more shooting. Simple and effective.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sarcasm?

16. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Would 76's take back KJ?
    Happy with our guards and don't want to see us upsetting the apple cart there.
    But with Capella out, Nene old and injury prone and a rookie in Harrell, I can really only see us needing depth at the 4&5. Something DMo would've fitted the bill.
    So maybe Noel could be that guy. Would a trade for KJ and other scraps do it? Or even add in an experienced Brewer (76's could do with a veteran presence).

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The new cba means that pg will have to really hate Indy to want to leave. Massive money left on the table, more than any player has ever left before

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Valid point I just don't think he'll stay in Indy.

19. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

To answer the OP's question, you have to put yourself in Morley's shoes. I am under the impression the Morley likes living in Houston, raised his family here, and does not want to make a lateral move even for more money as it will disrupt his family life.

With that in mind, if he goes all in and it fails, his job security has just gone out the window. Also, he has managed this team while always prioritizing flexibility throughout his tenure. If there was a moment to go all in, I would think this question would be deferred to Mr. Alexander. This is the best and safest option for DM as it removes some him from some burden.

My personal opinion is that you stay the course and keep flexible right now and depending on this years results, you go all in next year since most of our pieces will still be intact.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

$70 million reasons to say he'll stay