1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What direction do you think Morey should approach this deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 19, 2016.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Then the sun sets on two of their current rosterites.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I got no post or article available.
    However, cap projection is something like 102-108mill. Our salaries will be 91 mill. (eg http://en.hispanosnba.com/salaries/teams/houston-rockets)
    So our available room on that count is 'oh no, no max space'. But we have a team option on McDaniels (3.476mill), and both Brewer and Ariza will be final year players (ie, tradeable) - they are 7.5 and 7.4 mill respectively. There is a total possible of 22 mill we could free up on top of the 11-17 we would be under already.

In terms of trading Ariza or Brewer - one can do it by giving them away with a 2nd to a team reaching to make salary floor (eg Philly); or work out the details with the incoming max FA for a S&T deal and send back expirings (etc).

Jatman20 likes this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Eric Gordon *is* the second legit star.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I feel you on the clippers and grizzlies comment and comparisons. But I'm starting to get scared that if we continue to focus on flexibility so much harden may walk ala Durant, because we couldn't put a roster around him capable of contending.

Its a difficult decision and connundrum we are facing.

And as for the "this team can't and won't win the championship" to them I say why not? By what measure has Houston not looked like a contender since Beverley's return? Besides pessimism I can't find a reason.

We have been playing outstanding basketball that is surely capable of winning it all IMO.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not that it looks like they are available, but aren't Curry, Durant and Griffin potentially all out there via POpts?

On the next level, there is Hayward, Lowry, Millsap, Ibaka

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Theoretically they are available along with cp3. But highly highly unlikely they leave.

Ibaka has been constantly descending and isn't nearly the player he was. Don't even consider him a star anymore.
    Lowry seems highly unlikely as he would have to become the off guard here.
    Hayward I already mentioned.
    Millsap is available, and he could be a sneaky addition. But he's older and due to make a lot, how wise is that investment where he is beat served as a 3rd banana. (Ego is 2nd banana tho)

So there is a slight possibility we "could" acquire a low level star player but it doesn't seem likely. All at the expense of another year of hardens prime?

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To put it simply, our defense. We're around average on defense. That's not good enough, although I acknowledge we're playing much better defense than these players should be playing.

Second, talent. I can't think of more than 7-8 teams who have a worse second and third player than us. We are not particularly impressive from 4th to 8th rotation player.

There's always a chance, especially with a team that has great chemistry. But if we look at this objectively, and we take into account a 5 year window, can we really say the right decision to make is stick with this team vs acquire a star player?

The chances of Harden walking are equally bad if we lose with this team for the next 2 years. The man wants nothing more than a championship. If I'm the GM and he's told me it's championship or bust, I'm going for that star player UNLESS Harden is against it. You bring him the trade and you ask him which way he'd go. If he chooses one way or another, you hold him to that, and he will repay the faith we put in him.

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't see there being too much to lose by sticking. This team has so many new 'parts' and is still gelling. I want a championship right now, but realistically that will be tough without a 2nd primetime player. And those don't get handed to you. So having the option of generating max cap space or having enough expirings in the off-season is where we need to be at.

Lowry would be like Beverly on steroids wouldn't he? Plenty of opportunities to run the show and feed EGo when Harden sits. And we could run some sets where Lowry initiates on infrequent occasions. The dynamic might be like the Lebron/ Irving one.

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

a rim protector like a Chandler or Bogut type...I don't think we even need star level tho that would be great but the way this team is playing I think a Big that can anchor it down with Capela would be downright sick...KJ/Brew and some cash in a summer trade/draft...would be great to pull something off by the trade deadline but Rox got options now that the team chemistry is in place..Rox WAY AHEAD of schedule in my opinion

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clint's leg just made Clint obsolete . . . gotta get some more height in there. :(

11. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

IMO, Tyson Chandler requires Harrell. Suns have Barbosa, John Jenkins, Knight, Warren,
    Ulis, Booker, Tucker, Bledsoe. Bledsoe and Knight playing some in SG role. If I'm the Suns
    I don't take take Brewer &/or KJ. Sixers wouldn't need big men in return w/Okafor, Embiid,
    Simmons, Iyasova, Holmes (they think Holmes is good).

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think we are good... but not championship good - yet. I'd rather see us make a move now than spend all summer hearing about 'the missing piece' that's gonna put us over... after a disappointing post season.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

You lost me at Cousins.... Derp!

14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Agree 110% what more does this team have to do to convince people that we're contenders? I think we're in the mix with GS, SA, and Cleveland for a title. We've shown that we can beat the Spurs and Warriors already and we had a good early-season showing against the cavs.

Until we lose another game I don't think you so much as breathe on this roster. Let it be

Hakeemtheking and BigMaloe like this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd still take Rudy Gay and Ty Lawson for scraps. KJ, Brewer, Ennius...

If Rudy was willing to come off the bench.

And I actually think in this system if Lawson was needed to play he'd be bettter than he was his last time here. And I definitely think he'd be better than Ennius or Brown.

And I know my autocorrect misspelled Ennius but i don't care.

16. Chamillionaire

Bogut is the perfect C for this team. What separate him from Chandler and Noel is his passing. But he's a pony and cuban ain't helping us.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  17. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

So we finally have a team clicking on all cylinders , then you want to strip it down and start over ?? I highly doubt Beverly gets traded since he fits like a glove with harden and complements him in every single way. I see morey tweaking but not making major trades. I think he waits fir the summer to land a big name since our team is more attractive now.

18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Ty Lawson ? Ty lawsonnnn????

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Without KJ, we would be at $88M. According to this article, the cap will be about $102M. If we could jettison Brewer as you suggest, that would get them to around $21M. I think Ariza stays unless there is a deal for a big-time player. You cound assume a few smaller contract in a deal, but if the Rockets don't make a major deal at the deadline, what could $21M (give or take) get them in next year's free agency?

daywalker02 and BigMaloe like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did Morey and Les ever say when was the perfect time to go All-In?