1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did you major in?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaitanuva, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Your major? Choose closest. (Be more specific in posts)

1. Engineering / Computer Science

42 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. Language / Linguistics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mathematics / Physics

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Economics / Criminology / Political Science / Law

17 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Literature / Theology / History

9 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Biology / Chemistry / Nursing / Medicine / Pharmacy

24 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. Business / Marketing / Accounting

60 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Theatre / Art / Architecture / Design

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Other

26 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

That's basically what I did. I probably underestimated BEC, I took it last and barely passed after scoring in the high-80's on the first three parts. My suggestion would be post-its. Lots of post-its.

Give a lot of consideration to your learning style when deciding which study materials you decide to use. I went with Yaeger because it's more like learning in a classroom (not to mention sooo much cheaper than Becker), but both are top-notch from what others have told me. As I understand it, Becker's much better for people who favor self-study.

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Biology / Chemistry / Nursing / Medicine / Pharmacy

Is by far the most difficult/time consuming out of all the choices.

3. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Mechanical Engineering. 1 more year till I graduate.

4. plates300

plates300 Member

Nursing. Graduated in December and now working in the ER. Couldn't have asked for a better job. It was a brutal journey, but absolutely worth it :grin:

5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I used Becker because that is what my firm paid for. We had the books and the CD/DVD. I would say those are close to classroom learning as well. They go threw the chapters and literally tell you what notes to take and what to highlight. During it I remember thinking, "no way I'm leaving from this." But when I took the tests I did great. I'd recommend it. Most of the large public accounting firms pay for it anyway.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We actually just get a discount at my firm. They don't pay for all of it but the bonus when you pass the exam makes up for it I guess.

Are you still in public accounting?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Gleim is good for self study, worked fine for AUD and BEC. Although I am struggling with REG.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Look up AICPA recently released questions from Becker. They are free and the most valuable thing I looked at. Practice questions are important. Consider Wiley books off of Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think engineering in undergrad is comparable to being a pre-med in undergrad. Both have difficult content, but the only difference is you're trying to get a 4.0 in pre-med, while getting a 4.0 in engineering isn't of utmost importance. Not to say that engineers aren't striving for excellence, however.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Premed is not a major. You just have to take classes to qualify for med school. You can do engineering and premed.

It is a little bit harder to get a 4.0 in engineering than something like biology. Plus I don't know how many jobs you can get as bio major.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Majored in Music Education. Quit 4 semesters in and started my IT career (in 1999). I made the right choice. Not having a degree has never been a hindrance to my career, as experience holds far more weight in this industry. I would still like to finish at some point though, just as a personal goal.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Clinical Psychology / Neuroscience in undergrad.

20 years later, I'm head of Crude Oil Operations for a big scary company.

In short, the energy gig I got between undergrad and grad school paid well, and they paid for an MBA....so here I am.