1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Howard tweet?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RV6, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm just saying, if the US wanted to actually fix the situation they could just give Israel Florida. Look, Florida only exists to overshadow the racist and bigoted exploits of Arizona. Florida just lost LeBron. Lets give the Jews Florida. It doesn't matter where the Holy Land actually is, plus Florida does have some hot Cubans.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Oh, as opposed to those that deliberately blockade civilian populations to the point of ruining their economy, and near-starvation, and to those that deliberately imprison political prisoners, and children?

I laugh at those who say this is "moral war". Israel knows every time it is deploying massive *****tons of military ordinance that it is inviting war on a mass scale, and that tons more Palestinians will die than Israelis. They'll pull out all of the stops for PR reasons, but behind the scenes in classified papers, the truth is they seek to punish at every step (please read the Palestine papers when you have the chance).

Hamas deploys monstrous tactics. Israel is scarcely better. They are both monsters that contribute to the endless cycle of killing.

For somebody who is big on reining in the spectacular excesses of government force, it has been puzzling to see you go to qualified support for mass surveillance to overwhelming government force of imprisonment, and military tactics.

I suppose big government is bad---unless it's aimed at controlling, imprisoning, and "coincidently" killing Muslims.

You can stop your moral high ground bulls**t. Calling me morally bankrupt won't make your arguments more logically consistent.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Does this mean we get to build a huge wall and defend ourselves against Florida?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sadly its a different culture. The western world promotes a more rational and moderate form of religious no matter what form it is.
    Huge contrast to what are basically theocracies in the Middle East.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

All joking aside, yes. Florida scares me, it scares me more than any other state. I don't care how beautiful it is, if I never go there I'm cool with that.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

All I know is that most of the bad, crazy, violent things that have happened in the past year have happened in Florida.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I was just trying to inject some positivity into the thread. I know that the reality is a lot more grim than that.

8. Northside Storm

because people are f**king unforgiving and crazy at resorting to violence on one side, and the other side elects right-wing governments that don't look to improve the situation---but rather look to keep everybody in the same old trap as before.

Where are the Rabins of this age?

the political class on both sides are failing their people---through petty egos, their need for power demonstrations, and bloodlust---but what else is new.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, there goes that.

10. Northside Storm

This is the future, and the one bright side.

http://startupweekend.org/tag/tel-aviv/

Until the politicians and the warlords are forced to this new reality, it'll be a dream---though a beautiful one at that.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/iw/...eli-high-tech-join-forces.html##ixzz37JbYcApA

Now if only the violent sh**heads on both sides would f**k off, things might be better.

#70 Northside Storm, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  11. Northside Storm

The political class on both sides of this conflict deserve nothing less than unmasked scorn. Thankfully people are building solutions outside of the death-trap that is politics in the Middle East.

being chirpy about the status quo won't help that. building something will.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-attempt-to-foster-own-start-up-nation/

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Trust me, most of GAZA is with you on that, as are the Palestinian posters here who have commented on it. There are many shades of grey between support for two opposing extremist camps spoiling for a 1984-esque perpetual war.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The irony is that in the event Mexico took over Texas and created the kind of apartheid state that we have in Palestine, the current supporters of Israel here would be first in line supporting the "terrorists" defending their land from Mexican occupation.

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

There's also a wide gulf of truth between "Israel is only doing what it has to in order to protect itself" and "Hamas are totally harmless and only have Estes rocket kits."

I've seen some of the heavy ordinance land within 800 meters of where I lived, and even if it isn't "accurate," the entire point of ordinance like Grads and Katyushas is to terrorize civillian populations. An epidemic of PTSD from fear of leaving your home or going to work from having Code Red sirens wail on and off for days at a time works pretty damn well, even if you "only" kill a few people.

It's also true that Israel phones or drops leaflets before it bombs a place, but that doesn't mean that ****loads of innocent people don't get killed. Also remember:

1. Most Palestinians are not Gazans.
    2. Most Gazans do not support Hamas and opposing them often means death.
    3. None of the instigators of unprovoked rocket attacks are Hamas.
    4. To be a Gazan is to be trapped in a virtual pentagon by Hamas thugs that operate outside the extreme confines of their own bizarro laws to opress them, the hardliners outside of Hamas that invite attacks from Israel by going cowboy to take "the good fight" to level 99 of martyrdom, Israel who controls their airspace, borders and ports, and are deathly afraid of the slightest sneeze, the cognitive dissance of so many that either think anti-semitic barbs or equivicating everyone who lives there is a terrorist is a constructive way to approach the problem, and last, by those that are too lazy to care.

Once Gaza is being attacked, all bets are off and THEN the real ordinance (Iranian and old Russian gear) that CAN hit Gush Dan (Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and all the suburbs between) get attacked.

1 person likes this.
  15. trustme

trustme Member

None of this would happen if Israel just stopped illegally building settlements in Palestinian lands after kicking Palestinians out of their homes/bulldozing them while they are still in their homes.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/C3JzbWVDzac?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/C3JzbWVDzac?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is absolutely not true, and any Palestinian will tell you that.

Hamas, the organization, would continue to do what it does even if Israel stopped doing that.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yeah sure, it has nothing to do with jihad, just a land dispute...

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't like those kinds of comparisons to explain the situation...it isn't Mexico, or the United States, or Nazi Germany or South Africa or Caprica, or Narnia or whatever :). Not to single you out or anything, but whether you use it to illustrate an argument for any point of view, even a well-intentioned humanistic one, it invites people to be lazy and not understand the nuances of the conflict, which has a lot more than just two "sides."

The hasbara camp likes to do this as much as anyone else and it really dumbs down the discourse and invited that kind of polarization.

There is a very natural temptation to project ourselves into faraway conflicts and miss important details about what's really going on and see it from a rational place. It's something that must be resisted.

What is happening in Gaza (or any other modern armed conflict) has **** all to do with our own religious or poltical identities, and more to do with an intersection between very specific, localized, legit concerns with narcisstic leaders that are smart enough to know that being in charge beats the hell out of being shot at for someone other lguy's real or imagined ideals.

Yet, the bulk of what is published or said seems oblivious to that reality and serves only to create opposing teams of cheerleaders, not only for justifying attrocity, but for the actions of leaders who are not accountable to the people they claim to protect.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

because currently rockets fly into Israel everyday targeting civilians under the same battle cry.