1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What did Dwight do to deserve so much hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valen, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If there is no better option available...and it is highly questionable that there is and/or one that Morey can acquire, then you try to keep him because you probably won't be able to replace his rebounding and his defensive presence. As much criticism as he gets from anyone (including myself), he is still a contributor and an impact. He is not a perfect player. I just worry what this team becomes without him in the middle. Softer is a word that comes to mind. I think you try to keep him and Harden together. And, get new pieces around them to compliment them. But, it may already be a foregone conclusion that Dwight is gone. He probably doesn't even want to stay at this point given this last season. But, many feel Capella is the next best option...and maybe his is. Time will tell I guess. I also don't think "hate" is the right word. I think he's just easy to criticize.

The key here imo is whether the league does something about hack-a-Howard. He's definitely more keep-worthy if the league does something about that.

#21 Surfguy, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I can't believe this is a real question, Dwight Howard decided he didn't like the way his role was laid out so he tanked it all season.

Come on - who wants a loser like that on your team? He is a selfish player who only wants to clown around and look good in the public while sticking knives in people's backs in private.

GOOD RIDDANCE !

DD

3. ballhandling

ballhandling Member

i don't like his attitude. He always smiles after committing a foul. We've especially lost so many games this year.

4. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dwight deserves the most criticism because he's getting paid the most money and no player had a bigger decline than him. The Rockets really relied on him for paint protection, so his decline negatively impacted the team the most, more than any other player.

This can't be emphasized enough: we paid a guy about $23 million to not even be a top 10 center in the league. But forget top 10 -- he's not even in the top 35 among just centers in RPM!

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/9

He's not even in the top 35 among just centers in defensive RPM which used to be his strength!

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Mentally weak.

post still sucks.

mind like a kid.

Kobe said he is soft.

6. RESINator

RESINator Member

It's not about what he did but what he did NOT do.

7. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

I was quite shocked to find out that he actually lead the league in post touches during the regular season & playoffs.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...ir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular Season

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...CHES&dir=1&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Playoffs

jesus christ, this has to be one of the major reasons of our downfall this season. Dwight is not a good enough post player to warrant that many post touches!

He's a negative influence on this team offensively (minus ORPM), and yet that brain dead coach JBB kept going to Dwight even though he was below average in terms of post-up efficiency. The final kicker is Dwight got noticeably sulky and moped around whenever he felt like he was not getting enough touches in the paint.

Since Howard is barely a plus defender anymore, there is absolutely no need for him to start and play 32 minutes for us. He has become a major liability, and I can't be more happier to know that he's finally leaving.

8. chandlerbang21

only in sports can a guy that doesn't act like a A-hole and is genuinely nice be considered a Pu**y and "Soft".

I have nothing against dwight. He has never been a post up big but in previous years his strength and athleticism is what pushed him to the top. With the knee, back and shoulder injuries he cant move like it used to but even with his deteriorating health he still blocks shots and is a top rebounder in the league. People need a scapegoat and for the rockets , its dwight, harden and Morey. The media wont crucify Ariza or Brewer who basically did nothing in 5 playoff games.

1 person likes this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Anyone who hates Dwight is a jerk. Hate real evil people. Now, wanting Dwight on a different team, there's nothing wrong with that.

10. chandlerbang21

On a team that waiting till the end of the season to get a second scorer "Beasley", Dwight was the only option when harden couldnt get to the rim for a foul call against good defensive teams. Teams like Phoenix and Brooklyn focused and took harden out of games to where Dwight was the only guy that could get close enough to the rim for a layup/dunk attempt.

11. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

lol, few good games doesn't make you a valuable offensive option, Dwight's ORPM is 48th out of 77 centers in NBA, and in negative territory.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/ORPM/position/9

We suffer offensively whenever Dwight is on the court, and that is backed up by ample evidence.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

When it comes to blame, it's top to bottom to me. I won't pull the pin and lob the grand grenade of responsibility towards Dwight. It's not solely on him.

Howeva

When it comes to making changes on the team, I'm looking first at who I want to be my next cornerstone. James harden. And then the biggest anchor on him....personally and professionally seems to be Dwight, despite some successes, despite Dwight being a generally affable fellow off the court. DH wants the rockstar life and attention right up until it comes down to brass tax ARE YOU worthy of that? No, or at least not anymore.

Unless someone is able to get through to him, to say look at the guy that just beat you. Bogut doesn't play 2nd fiddle, he plays like 7th fiddle. BUT HES A CHAMPION.

Dwight could score 20 a night if he could accept that it's coming on lobs and put backs, not pretending like you're mini shaq with moves like Hakeem. Will he? Hell no. Bye.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this, particularly about people needing a scapegoat.

14. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This sums it up or me. :):eek::confused:

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Disagree. If a handful of post touches leads to a motivated Dwight, then it's totally worth it.

16. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

As JVG 'the wise man' once said, "You should not have to beg an NBA player for energy, effort, and unselfishness"

If Dwight can't accept his limited role and still wants to post-up, despite completely sucking at it, he can GTFO.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So Dwight is the only one who has to make sacrifices? Why doesn't Harden learn how to play defense? Dwight's offense is better than Harden's defense.

A handful of post-touches is a small price to pay for a motivated Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  19. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Dwight's ORPM -1.33 http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/ORPM/position/9

Harden's DRPM -0.69
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/2/sort/DRPM/position/2

Actually, Dwight's offense is almost twice as bad as Harden's defense.

Want more proof?

Dwight's OBPM -1.1

Harden's DBPM -0.4

The fact that Howard earns the MAX SALARY and is 4th highest paid player in the entire league, and yet doesn't do nearly enough defensively to offset his negative offensive contribution is what makes him easily the single most disappointing rockets player of this season.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

nothing. as in he did nothing on the court to help bring a championship. a lot of talk but very little results for the highest paid player on the team.