1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can Trump do to unite the country vs. divide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Jan 12, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed... as does this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9ede3c8cafa_story.html?utm_term=.e7a73ab945bb

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What in his life makes you think he is a good negotiator?

I'm tired of people believing just because he's wealthy he has some savy business skills. None of his accomplishments have any indivudal merit to them.

Nook likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Case in point... Trump is tweet/whining about people not attending his inauguration. And tweet/whining about the polls being fixed against him. I wonder how many hours a day we can count on Trump whining about things on the go forward.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that he is showing that he isn't a good negotiator. A good negotiator who wanted to get something done with Russia would want to go into the negation with a strong hand. Trump is already letting them off the hook for their interference, said that he trusts Putin as much as long time ally Germany, and lambasting NATO which is also a plus for Russia. He's done all of this and gotten nothing back in return, and will now go into any negotiation with them with a significantly weaker starting position.

5. TheresTheDagger

Russia isn't the only country we need to negotiate with, or did that not occur to you?

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, it did occur to me. But what advantage with other nations do we get by Trump calling NATO obsolete? What advantage did we gain over which other nation by saying the leader of our ally with the strongest economy and military in the EU is on the same footing as far as trust as Vlad Putin?

7. TheresTheDagger

Members of NATO who have been skirting by on our protection while not ponying up any money are now on notice the free ride is over. Time to step up.

Nook likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Except Trump has already put those nations on notice. What does that have to do with Germany? They haven't been negligent in paying their dues. Is dealing with a president who calls the pact 'obsolete' going to make them want to put a higher priority on spending more money on their dues? That seems like an idiotic negotiating tactic. That is true especially if they do pay their dues, and then feel as if they've been sold out by their ally the United States because of Trump's statement.

It makes no sense.

9. TheresTheDagger

Saying he would look at NATO during the campaign was one thing. Saying it now that he is elected is quite another. That's what being put on notice means.

As far as the "obsolete" comment, I think the term was poorly chosen. A more accurate way to state it would be "in need of a major rework".

Nook likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Right. I agree with you that if Trump had said NATO needs some improvement and changes, that would have been a good negotiating tactic. His poor choice of words and everything he's doing isn't showing he's a great negotiator.

Again if he needs to choose one place to gain strength in negotiations and the choices are between in gaining strength in negotiation with Putin, or strength in negotiating nations that have been our allies for years, I would say he should choose to gain strength in negotiations with Putin. He's making horrible negotiating moves.

Nook likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Trump and his supporters worked and have been working very hard to divide the country before, during, and after the election. It dovetails with the open warfare congressional Republicans waged against President Obama before Trump decided to run for office. I don't see any reason to believe that the coming Trump Administration will be any different. It's no surprise that the man only has a 40% approval rating just before his inauguration, an historic low. A hell of a lot of people are regretting sitting at home during the election or tossing their vote at a third party candidate. Yes, you made a difference all right. You helped create this on going catastrophe. Some of you are even attempting to put a halo around Trump. Good luck with that, people. You won't see me doing it. In my humble opinion, the past election will prove to be a far bigger assault on our democracy than Watergate ever dreamed of being. Don't be surprised if Mr. Trump ends up being impeached.

Actions have consequences.

#91 Deckard, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is always easier to sugarcoat and say hey he aint so bad instead of owning up.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Easier for a shallow person. Not so easy if one has a conscious, in my humble opinion.

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I got it, he could move to Russia - and resign.

DD

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't disagree...he HAS to stop doing that. Social media is certainly a valid medium these days, but not if used like a 12 year old. That was effective during the primaries, not really during the general, and is even less so now.

So, yes, we will see.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

sigh, never mind. deleted.

#97 BigDog63, Jan 18, 2017
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not gonna bother giving my 2 cents about his presidency, more than enough people willing to do that whether it's wanted or not.

But his twitter buffoonery has to stop, he's the f**king president. He can't be engaging in petty name calling anymore.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

And this is different than how the left operates...how, again? The Dems are the ultimate divider party...their entire platform is built on class warfare. While ignoring many of the real issues facing many segments of the country. Which is what led to the revolt that put Trump in office. There is documented evidence that much of this was intentional as a DEMOCRATIC agenda, in the thinking that Trump would be the easiest candidate to defeat. Which is why Trump got the coverage he did when he did his grandstanding...all of which backfired in a major way come election night. Good job!

Yes, yes they do. Funny how this is so often one of the statements issued when one takes a very partisan stance, indicating a complete lack of understanding of just how true the statement actually is.

#99 BigDog63, Jan 18, 2017
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Reaganomics is class warfare. Funny how many Republicans like you whine about class warfare when you're the architects of it. It's the same stuff you do on race. You pursue completely racist agendas, documented, and then claim everyone else is racist. Rinse and repeat.

Of course the solutions are more tax cuts for millionaires, busting up unions.