1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are you playing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Anyone here play PC games? Console games?

What are you playing now? Any recommendations?

I got "American McGee's Alice" a few days ago and if you have the system to run it at a good framerate, get it . . . you won't be disappointed. The graphics are easily the best I've ever seen and the atmosphere is just awesome . . . it's got the kindof "feeling" that Deus Ex and System Shock had. It can get a bit tedious, but the storyline and the kickass level design makes up for any shortcomings.

Check it out if you can . . . a bit violent, but easily one of the top games of the year.

So what are you playing?

------------------
    "Any answer that can't be questioned is no answer at all. It's gibberish. It's the jabbering of startled monkeys flinging dung at the moon" -- Scott Christensen -- www.ewav.com

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

My graphics card sucks arse. It's like 6 years old and you can't find any new drivers for it. It's from Trident which I don't even think exists anymore. [​IMG] But anyways, right now I'm playing Midtown Madness 2, Blitz 2000, and Mortal Kombat 4.....all very slowly except for Mortal Kombat. (But that runs in a small window) Midtown Madness is cool, basically like Driver minus the missions. You can drive through San Francisco or London with your choice of car and you can race to unlock new cars, tracks. NFL Blitz 2000? Do I even need to say anything?....Yes, I do. AWESOME! I love this game just wish it would go faster. Mortal Kombat 4 is fun, but it is hard. The control are really hard to figure out and once you get them you sit there trying not to screw things up. LOL I heard Alice is a good game but when I downloaded to demo and tried it guess what....my system sucks.

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

3. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Oh yeah, on Console, I'm playin Syphon Filter. Really cool game. It lets you keep playing after you die unlimited times which is a feature I like. hehe. The hardest part so far for me is when you have to blow 5-10 agents and protect your GI's at the same time!!!! I also played Driver which is fun, but gets boring quick if you get stuck on the tranining round. [​IMG]

------------------
    Francis out top, 9 seconds on the clock, he gives a no look pass to Cuttino Mobley, 4 seconds left, Mobley passes to an open Langhi in the corner with 1 second left! Langhi at the buzzer.......YES!!! How Sweet It Is!!

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

If my PC wasn't in the shop (screw you emachines)I would be playing Diablo 2, Delta Force 2m and Age of Empires. My gaming tends to lag behind the current releases a bit [​IMG]

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

5. Heath

Heath Member

Lag is good [​IMG] - hey wait a minute - we don't want lag in a game like Delta Force 2 [​IMG]

Delta Force 2 is a big hit with me, actually has DF:LW also but still prefers DF2 even if LW has much better graphics.

Also been playing Diablo2 since it emerged -played it a lot in the start but didnt finish it of - so now and then (once a month perhaps)I go back to it an play it for a couple of hours to bring me closer to slaying Diablo.

Played a lot of AoE a long time ago - but haven't since AoE2 came along - played it some and its a good game that I can come back to anytime although I haven't played it for months.

Also got GrandPrix3 which is a killer race sim, Link it up with a friend and drive until you drop [​IMG]

------------------
    Heath
    -where have all the spaces gone?

6. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

I'm still attached to Unreal Tournament.

------------------
    The Badministrator

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

Baldur's Gate.
    "you will LEARN..."

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, I got my new machine so I'm on a tear with my GeForce2 Ultra card. Here goes:

Mechwarrior 4
    QuakeIII(online only)
    Star Trek:Elite Force(online Holomatch)
    Sacrifice demo(great graphics; I suck at it)

Is Delta Force any good if I'm in to first person shooters a lot? I want to shoot **** and manage resources later [​IMG].

I've been going through a lot of demos lately as well.

Surf

------------------

9. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I LOVE video games
    i used to always play TFC mod for half life

now im playing
    final fantasy IX - hey cold hard cool.. alhtough i think FF6 (3 USA) was the best ever. i love the final fantasy series although FF8 disapointeed me

TFC- awesome awesome game

THe Curse of Monkey Island- another series i love

Tekken Tag Tournament- playstation 2 [​IMG]

Shogun- this one is tough. dont know much

i recently stopped playing baldurs gate 2 i might have to get back into it.

i want to try Alice too. im also waiting for Tribes 2.....

has any1 played Chrono Cross? i loved chrono trigger.

------------------
    --TEX

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Syphon Filter and Parasite Eve, two older games that I picked up for about $20 brand new on half.com.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris Fan Club - est. 99-00

11. Steve_Francis_rules

Unreal Tournament for the PC.

------------------

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm still playing Triple Play 2001. I don't usually play games other than the sports-related ones. (And even those, I don't play that often. I'm too busy posting my inane ramblings on messages boards to take the time to play a bunch of games. [​IMG] )

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I also loved Chrono Trigger and still consider it one of my top five, if not the #1 RPG of all time.

Having said that, I was extrememly disappointed with Chrono Cross. It's a pretty good game in its own right, but a crappy sequel to CT. My main problems with the game were:

- Horrible, grating regular battle music.. the worst battle song I have ever heard in a videogame
    - Very small, repetitive world with little depth
    - Tedious quests - ie: find dragon 1, now go find dragon 2, etc...
    - The idea of travelling through time, which made Chrono Trigger so great, is almost completely absent in Chrono Cross
    - Too many characters with little to no real development. Unlike CT, which had memorable characters, one doesn't develop any emotional attachment to the characters in CC
    - The worst ending to an RPG, ever. Even the supposedly "good" ending, which is nigh impossible to obtain without a guide, sucked.

Sure, it had beautiful graphics and a couple of decent in-game tunes, but on a scale of one to ten, I would only give it a six. I was very disappointed.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

[This message has been edited by fadeaway (edited January 02, 2001).]

14. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Space Ghost -

I'd like to play online a bit more (I usually don't), but I seem to get smoked seconds from starting a game, and it goes downhill from there. Do you have any recommendations for servers? Let me know, sometime we can get together and have it out!

------------------
    The Badministrator

15. The Voice of Reason

I loved Baulders Gate.

but Icewind dale is way better. I suggest you get it if you liked Baulders gate

one of the best games I have ever played(i still play it) is sierras Ultimate soccer manager. the grafix suck, but I love games with adictive qualities.

also anything my Maxis is usually great. I still play the Sims, and I am also a fan of their sim city series.

my favorite games would be any of the empire builders like AOE, warcraft, comand and conquer, civilization. they were all more fun in their origional form. the games have grown in their sequels so much that they are unweildly. the classic warcraft is still the best.

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    http://www.hanta-force.com

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When I get the chance, which isn't often, I've been playing :

MechWarrior 4 (and kicking Surfguy's butt, I might add... muhahaha).
    Madden 2001
    I finished Baldur's Gate II, but may replay it as another class.
    I got Space Empires IV, but haven't really messed with it yet.
    I also had someone buy me Unreal Tournament and The Sims, but have yet to play either.
    ------------------
    "I give up. Oh my holy hell I give up." -- Clutch expresses utter frustration in encountering difficulties trying to communicate across a damn bbs. (It's even funnier if you picture Homer Simpson saying it)

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 02, 2001).]

17. Heath

Heath Member

Ah, the memories - played a lot of these "empire builders" - add in Colonization and Alpha Centauri - I can still go back to these games.

I have not played Ultimate Soccer Manager but I have played a lot of the Championship Manager series, and will probably go back to it again with the newest season update (havent gotten it yet).

------------------
    Heath
    -where have all the spaces gone?

18. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I LOVED the original "Civilization!" Does anybody know where you could order a copy? The damn thing is impossible to find.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

DoD....I WANT A REMATCH! I need a joystick!

Whah whah whah.

Damn mech....kill DoD!

Is it me...or am I in the wrong genre of games? Maybe I need to take some advice here and explore some of these other games. I feel like an outsider playing mostly FPS games.

Surf

------------------

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not much for the shooter games or action games. My favorite games are RPG's or space/colonization games,etc. I just got MW4 because of the cool graphics and the KABOOM explosions. [​IMG]

But I must say, I thought I sucked at MW4 until I played you... lol. Oh, and if you're running on that steroid-injected system, for pete's sake man, get a freakin' $50 joystick!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I give up. Oh my holy hell I give up." -- Clutch expresses utter frustration in encountering difficulties trying to communicate across a damn bbs. (It's even funnier if you picture Homer Simpson saying it)