1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the three defining messages/elements of your religion?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

To be honest, I am not sure, which is part of the reason why I started this thread (the other part me wanting to bring up the question: "If something is not at the very core of your beliefs, why would it make you angry if someone offended it/violated it?"). I was brought up catholic, though not very strictly, it was more a byproduct of where I grew up, and I left the catholic church about 10 years ago for various reasons. I have not read up very much on most of the world religions, but from the outside, buddhism and confucianism appear to be comparatively "peaceful" religions, which appeals to me. I do like a lot of the Christian values and I see why to push these values, one would need some sort of organization like the various churches provide, but I cannot identify with any of these organizations and a lot of the things they do (even outside of criminal things or atrocities in their history) just seem like random cult stuff to me (crucifixes, exorcism, even the rites of how to pray when in church (sometimes you have to be on your knees, sometimes standing, the whole rite of how the mass is celebrated (I can't speak for other religions, but I guess they all have their rites)).

The three things I would name as to where I stand with regard to religion and believing: There is one thing I believe in and/or think of as some sort of guidance which is so commonplace that probably members of most, if not all religions could identify with them and there are two open questions for me.

- the Golden Rule : Do not do to others what you would not like to be done to you. Sounds very simple and I think if everyone followed this at all times, our world would be a much better place. Before Batman Jones or Rocketman95 or FranchiseBlade show up like Pavlov's dog to get in some sniping, let me say that as most people, I do not manage to follow this at all times, and furthermore, the "crux" with this is that as my standards might be different than others', something that would not bother me in the least might be very offensive to others, or vice versa.

- A belief in or actually rather a hope for some sort of afterlife (I don't know if I can believe in the "reward for good behavior on earth in afterlife" dogma that seems to be part of almost all religions - I guess I subconsciously do believe in that somehow and that following the Golden Rule at least has no negative impact on afterlife, but rationally, the promises of afterlife seem a lot like a deterrent to socially harmful behavior on earth and in that respect more like something that was invented to keep things on earth in order).

- I am unsure of whether to believe in some deity that created everything...I was definitely brought up believing in that, but as I mentioned in some other thread, I tortured my brain trying to understand or to be able to really believe in that, but at some point I figured that my brain is simply incapable of grasping whether and in what form it exists or does not exist (what was there before the deity decided to create everything, etc. - the whole Adam and Eve story seems to me like just some fairytale, like most stuff I read from the Bible and the little I read from the Koran...more like stories made up to keep people in line, give them guidance and to make their lives better - I am not belittling this and I see the practical benefit, but I am having a hard time seeing it as more). Again, the monotheistic religions provide a relatively simple and "imaginable" idea and guidance, but the whole idea of God as some old man with a white beard as he would mostly be depicted (if depicted) at least in paintings in the Christian world just seems a bit odd. Also, looking at all the things that happen in the world, if you want to believe in one God, then a cynical God would make as much sense to me as a benevolent God. I also don't know about Jesus, Mohammed et al...they seem to have been very charismatic people during their time who said a lot of very intelligent things and who probably have done a lot of good. But I wonder if not their status just became totally exaggerated after their deaths and the whole thing sort of developed into a cult of its own that maybe these guys, had they still been alive, wouldn't even have liked.

I know that most religions/churches offer answers to my two questions above as I guess the issues I am struggling with are issues that are very common, but I have not gotten one that would make me feel so enlightened that I could say "this convinced me so much that I am 100 % a believer now".

I guess you could say I would like to believe, but I am struggling. I do not consider myself an atheist, because that would mean that I would assume that just because my brain does not understand something, it cannot exist. Personally, I would also kind of consider it a sad thing to be 100 % convinced that once one dies, there is nothing...no God, no afterlife.

I hope I didn't offend too many people with what I said above (I guess I offended just about everyone, including atheists ;)). And sorry for the long post, I was actually hoping for brief answers and now I made a rather long post myself.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Okay, I read up a bit on this Tawhid. The whole "Father, Son and Holy Ghost" trinity thing in Christianity, I never really got that. But Tawhid - ok, let's assume there is one God. Fine. But what does it mean in practice? What "commandments" to you follow out of this for your daily life? It kind of seems to me that depending on how you want to interpret it, Tawhid can mean very different things to different people, and they draw totally different consequences from it for their actions, or am I completely mistaken here?

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Azadre, I am very interested in your take. I seem to remember that you used to get very angry when you felt that someone "offended" your religion. It seems like your stance has changed somewhat over the years (apologies if I am misreading). Would you mind sharing with us how this process came about?

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's an evolution of thought more than anything else. I was more zealous because the only information I had available was from zealots. During college, I was able to study the material with valid sources and analyses that were based on evidence.

In all, the people who lead these Islamist movements do so because they are seeking power over other people. There is no better path for these people than through the belief that a higher power ordained it.

5. zoids

zoids Member

There is NO god.

Anyone who believe there is a god is stupid.

Separation of church and state.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am glad you brought that up and stated it as such as that explains why I have harped on you in regard to things like the Draw Mohammed Day. As a non-Muslim I don't feel any offense about drawing Mohammed but at the sametime I try to consider how I would feel if someone did something that I find offensive and justified it solely as a defense of free speech.

7. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who largely dislikes religion, you are making yourself out to be supremely unintelligent, and ignorant.

Go read and study more, or back this claim up...

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Peace
    Love
    Dope
    !!!

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to go into the concept of Tawhid, I'll just explain what I meant about my beliefs by saying oneness because I am pondering these things and have not really verified them.. It's just where I am in my "thinking" process right now..

- God is 1. Therefore, to me, the ultimate goal is to TRY to achieve oneness.
    - The total of everything created (essentially, the universe) I think probably is the closest thing to 1. (created in His image)
    - I am not 1. I'm 1 out of 6 billion. Those 6 billion are 1 part of the universe.
    - The 6 billion have to be together to form a strong enough unit to try to achieve oneness with the earth. Then the solar system. Till we get to the universe.
    - Once we're at peace with all creation, we'll all get closer in our goal to reach perfection - as one.

For me, that covers a scope of things:

- Being "one" with individuals"
    - Being one with races, nationalities, any kind of group
    - Being one with earth, protecting it from harm
    - Being one with universe, but I frankly don't know how applicable this is right now.
    - Try to be one myself - as in be as complete as possible with health, knowledge, happiness (happiness = don't feel hopelessly deficient)

11. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Taiwanese?

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Inserted my thoughts in the quote. :) I'm assuming there is a reason you are assuming that it IS those things, rather than each part simply sharing similarities with past practices.. So I won't ask..

I am interested in what you meant by Arab finance though. Could you share your view on that?

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

In money you trust.

And yet, it's never there when you need it.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Love God with all your heart and all your soul.

Love every other human being in the way you love yourself.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Rasta?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are the guardians of peace in the Galaxy.
    We use our powers to defend and protect, never to attack others.
    We respect all life, in any form.
    We serve others rather than rule over them, for the good of the Galaxy.
    We seek to improve ourselves through knowledge and training.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Don't have a religion per se but do try to live a good life by adding value to certain words:

Reciprocity
    Love
    Empathy

18. uolj

uolj Member

Short form:
    1. The Platinum Rule: Aspire to do unto others as they would have you do unto them.
    2. Seek to enhance the ability of others to experience happiness.
    3. Live your own life simply to experience happiness, whatever that might entail.

Medium form:

1. This includes seeking to understand others, what they value and what they fear, what offends and what infuriates, what inspires and what elates. This is not an indictment of the golden rule, yet I find this rule far more important and essential for achieving the basic goal that is the basis of the golden rule.
    2. This should be focused on immediate family and friends, but it applies to all people in the world and future generations. When making choices one should always have in mind whether the decision will be beneficial to those around us as well as the greater population and our descendants.
    3. For each person, happiness can be found in a different form or achieved through different means. But the goal of life should be to enjoy it as best you can within the constraints of the first two items above. We should always reflect on our own decisions and whether the path we are taking is truly making us happy, or if we are deceiving ourselves into only believing that to be the case.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Thanks, YODA. :p

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

1.) To crush my enemies
    2.) To see them driven before me
    3.) To hear the lamentation of their women