1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the different expectations for Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LBJ-Tmac, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

I expect him to make simple layups

2. Hball

Hball Member

Adelman should be fired running off t-mac for ariza

3. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? because its not very good.

And I dont understand how your failed attempt at sarcasm relates to my post.

Unless your suggesting that his 7/19 shot us out of the game, because it didnt.

4. fmp087

fmp087 Member

My expectations drop each game. Will definitely let you know by seasons end.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Meh, he did okay today..I think he's toned down the whiny body language quite a bit.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but he still didn't shoot that well...less than 40%.

DD

7. choujie

choujie Member

Tmac shot similar percentage last year when he was injured. He plays ZERO defense. He held ball longer than Ariza.

The damage done on the defensive end is larger than the gain on offensive end.

Of course, the biggest reason:

Tmac is not in the Rockets long term plan this year. This will be his last year in Rockets uniform no matter what.

So there is no reason to play Tmac more minutes, if at all. That's probably a way to force him say " I wanna leave."

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You have set the bar so low. Maybe he didn't cost you the game, but I think he hurt you more than he helped you.

9. Mr. Space City

arizas defense is overrated.

what point is having good defense if you give possessions with terrible shots and turnovers?

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

I thought he was pretty horrible today until the double OT.

11. choujie

choujie Member

He cut down his shots as well. 19 shots in 56 minutes isn't too much.

He'd be OK with less minutes played. He shot better when he was fresh in fisrt half.

12. choujie

choujie Member

Ariza's defense is not great, but much better than Tmac's normal defense. When Tmac plays zero defense, it makes a difference.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ariza's defense is on par or worse than Tmacs.

14. choujie

choujie Member

His shooting percentage and Tmac last year's are same.

Play decent defense with one more TO is much better than play ZERO defense.

Again, the big picture:

Tmac is no longer in the plan, so there is no reason to play him more. Rockets isn't going to let Tmac use regular season as his training camp to earn bigger pay check next year.

15. choujie

choujie Member

On par when Tmac is really focused to play Defense. But Tmac rarely does. Sometimes he plays no defnse at all.

16. PeppermintCandy

He played a very good first half. IIRCS he took eight shots but only one 3-pointer in the first half. Aggressive going to the basket and defensively, played the passing lanes very well.

The second half he struggled perhaps because of fatigue but mostly because the defense adjusted to him IMO. They were quick to send the help D whenever Ariza looked to drive.

He had a great series of rebounds and shots in the 3OT I think that nearly sealed the game for us.

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Space City

his shooting percentage is worse from ALL AREAS OF THE COURT.

from the field

from the 3 point line

from the free throw line.

plus he commited MORE TURNOVERS than an INJURED mcgrady.

yes, t-mac is gone but it is frustrating seeing trevor play shooting guard when we have a BETTER shooting guard wanting to play.

18. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Yeah sure, he couldve played better than he did today.
    But at least he didnt go 0-8, or 5-15.
    And he didnt go out there and shoot stupid shots like he normally does, or give up on offense.
    What i saw from the game was that he was trying to help us win and playing within himself a bit more.

Lets be honest, nearly everyone on the team could have put this one away for us, but easy layups were missed - and not just by one person.

19. choujie

choujie Member

Kidding? Ariza is 38% now and Tmac was 36.8% last year and this year.

Again, you'd rather develop a player in your long term plan than to play somebdy who is not in you plan, even if that player is better.

Tmac isn't going to take this Rockets to a Championship this year and Rockets have long decided that he won't be here after this season, so there is no reason to play him anymore.

A couple possible more wins only means a worse draft pick and less development for young players in this situation. That's the big picture.

How many times do I need to explain that to you?

20. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

i have a seen a BUNCH of guys play zero defense at times. and t-mac isnt terrible on the defensive end either he just isnt mind blowing. He isnt a liability if he is healthy. But on the offensive end it s a much much much much much much much much................................much bigger gab.