1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the different expectations for Trevor Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LBJ-Tmac, Jan 13, 2010.

1. choujie

choujie Member

You don't get 6rebounds/4asts/2steals as a SF just by fooling a round. He is a good role player at MLE, just not a star. His late game steals were very critical for Lakers to defeat Nuggets last year.

Your expectation is too high for a MLE player. Given the cap situation, there wasn't a true MLE player in NBA who could hellp Rockets a lot more than Ariza in a long run.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No. My expectations are not really that high. Yes, you can get 6 rebounds/4 assists/2 steals a game if you play 39 minutes and handle the ball as much as Trevor does.

My problem is that he is a very limited player skill-wise and he refuses to accept that. He hasn't made any progress as a player here but refuses to adjust and adapt. I don't care what he gets paid, that's a problem.

The acquisition of Ariza was subtraction by addition to this team.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

So, who do you take mini-McGrady or Teriza? I think I'd still have to go with mini-McGrady due to his court vision and lack of TOs. Maybe we should rethink the exile.

Daaaaaaa-Rockets!

4. HoustonRockets

I expected him to be cutting more, however, I always see him hanging around the 3 point line.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Your expectation is still too high. Even at 38 minutes, There aren't many MLE players who can give you 6rbs/4asts/2steals.

Yes, he is limited at creating offense, but again, that won't be his job once this team gets an star player who can do that. Right now, we don't have that, and no MLE player who is young enough to fit long term plan in NBA can do that either. So the signing is not a failure.

I don't buy that subtraction by addition thing in this situation. Ariza is a big part for this team which is exceeding everybody's expcation. I see his style could fit the team very well once we get a star player. He is a proven good role player and he's still young.

It's still too early to judge Ariza by him playing a role he is not supposed to play. Next year will be the time to have a good read on him.

6. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

I don't think the team is exceeding everyone's expecation right now. They only a game and a half ahead of the Grizzles, tied for 8th seed with Utah, 4-6 for the last 10. They looked good in the begining, but they are falling to where people expect them to be right now. Maybe some people's expectations were just too low to begin with.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Well, the fact that Adelman is playing him so many minutes and keeping him in tight games tells me the team thinks differently about Ariza than I do but I just don't see that many positives with this kid. For every positive play he makes on offense he makes four bone-headed ones.

Again, it's not about his production as much as his poor decisions. He should be deferring to Brooks, Landry and Scola but all I see is him not giving them the ball and throwing mini-tantrums when they don't give it to him. What logic says he will suddenly embrace his role player for Yao or anyone other player the Rockets acquire?

My problem is more with what is (or is not) between his ears than it is with the fact that he is extremely limited skill-wise.

8. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

I can answer that question for ya, it's Kobe's cloned brain. Strictly the head only though.

9. choujie

choujie Member

I think Adelman is playing Ariza so many minutes is because Budinger is not ready to take more minutes from him yet despite Budinger shoots better.

His attitude is somewhat exaggerated in this forum. He has a better attitude than Tmac, Artest and fan favorate Von Wafer.

When we have a better option, I believe RA would tell him what to do, and he would have no choice but do it.

Let's see what happens next year.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i think that ariza is a monster if we actually played like we said we were gona play (uptempo) at the beggining of the season we would have seen more of his athetisism. keep in mind we dont have a shooting guard or a solid go to guy so we are having to play different guys at those 2 positions and asking 2 much of him, i think we should give him more time, maybe if a trade happens here soon other players will be able to play with him better.

11. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

I wholeheartly agree with your view on Ariza and that is a PROBLEM for the Rockets as a team.

He needs to "adjust, adapt and accept" what kind of player he is and the best way for him to be efficent is for the ball to be out of his hands.

He is starting to shoot ok if he doesn't dribble to much.

AHHH HOW DID WE LET THIS ONE GO TO OVERTIME!!?

12. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

He is essentially doing what Tmac did last season at the moment only he has a much lower skillset causing the offense and his attitude to look ugly.

Just move the ball and he will be fine.

13. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

See the difference, Battier misses a layup and makes two huge defensive plays.

Ariza needs to think like this instead of having a shooters mentality in which he believes he can shoot himself back to form.

14. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

Ariza has played well in the overtimes. Atleast mentally he seems into the game and is bringing many intangibles in O.T grabbing key rebounds, passes and steals. Just cut out the off the dribble shots and he'll improve greatly.

Overall his mindset seems to be more focused.

15. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

Adelman didnt feel comfortable giving mcgrady more mins so he sits him, yet he is okay with Ariza being on the court for 30 plus mins playing the same way an injured mcgrady played last year. There is a big difference here rick adelman and you failed to see it. Mcgrady is healthy now, let him play.

16. choujie

choujie Member

You only looked at one end of the court. That inured Tmac played ZERO defense.

17. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Ariza didn't kill us this game.
    It seems like adelman mustve had a talk with him about his atitude

18. Mr. Space City

injured t-mac shot the ball better from the field, 3 point line, and ft line and had more assist and committed less turnover than ariza

19. mjharleem22

mjharleem22 Member

i havent exactly heared good things about trevor's defense this year either, but he is healthy doing what an injured limited mcgrady did last year

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least he didn't shoot 7/19.