1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances the Texans can get a RB in FA?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mprodrig, Feb 12, 2003.

1. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

I haven't had a chance to do much research on which RB' s will be available in FA but one name that I heard floating around is RB Stephen Davis from the 'skins. I know everyone is down on our o-line from last year but something I noticed was the RB's we had weren't hitting the holes hard or fast enough. Seemed as though they were indecisive on where to go, which led to our crappy running game. Now I'm not saying the o-line did a good job, that is obvious they didn't by the # of sacks given up. Guess what I'm trying to get at is that if we had a veteran running back that could gain even 2-3 yards when there's not much of a whole it would greatly benefit our passing game. So let me know what you think....also does anyone no what Stephen Davis would cost?

2. Possum

Possum Member

I read somewhere today that the Texans were very interested in Davis. I think he would be a perfect fit for the kind of offense Capers wants to run but his asking price will probably be to high. A better alternative may be Sam Mack from the Jags. He's bigger, younger and would cost a lot less.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I would have no problem going with Jonathon Wells on a regular basis until we get some idea of what he can do behind a decent offensive line. I suppose if you get the opportunity to go after a top quality guy who you think will dominate, you don't pass up on that. But it has been proven year after year that decent-good running backs can be had in later rounds of the draft.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm almost positive Davis is looking to play for a contender. That's the word in DC.

5. BALLhog 247 365

jerome bettis is a fa...but hes too fat now. i saw him running in for a td, then go to the sidelines straight for oxygen. im not sure he is someone the texans would invest in. but, you never know.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

what holes?! canton doesn't need to start clearing a wing for wells, or anything, but, earl campbell in his prime couldn't have done anything behind that line last year.

davis is under contract (as is bettis, btw), so both would have to be released first (which is expected to happen). davis' current contract is set to pay him $7.5M, $5.5M, $8M and $7.5M over the next 4 years. he won't get that rich a deal, but i bet he won't settle for considerably less, either.

7. tigereye

tigereye Member

C'mon now, you know why the Texans are interested in Stephen Davis. He was one of Casserly's boys. Charlie brought him in when Charlie was GM in Washington. Just because of this, the Texans will have a shot to land Davis, regardless of contendership.

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Emmitt Smith?

9. tigereye

tigereye Member

Interesting..........He really does like to help lead the youngin's and he is not washed up like JJ thinks he is. At his age, he still is far better than THam. If Dallas makes the WRONG decision and lets him go, I wouldn't mind getting him because he could really help lead our young offense. And he might be able teach JWells how to run the football too.

Question is, what is his asking price?

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Living in Dallas I get the impression that money is not the main issue with Emmitt. He already has a ton of money. The main issue with Emmitt is that he still wants to be a feature back. He still wants the 20-25 carries a game. Dallas is going with a youth movement and Emmitt doesn't seem to be a part of those plans. The Cowboys last year had probably the worst o-line in the NFL and Emmitt still managed over 950+ yards (not to mention Robert Thomas is the worst starting Fullback in the NFL).

As long as the Texans can put a solid line together I don't see why it wouldn't work. The Texans would have competition though for his services. The Buccs may also take a look at Emmitt if he's released.

11. tigereye

tigereye Member

Whatta bout' Michael Pittman there present RB. Plus they are beginning to get prepared to face the dreaded cap pretty soon, as I read in the Tampa Tribune a couple of days ago. Spending more money apparantly is not an option for these guys.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

Question for you Bangin Screw.

What does Dallas think of THam? Can he be a feature back as Emmit was in the past.? Is sending Emmit packing a good decision for the Boyz? And most important of all, is he staying or going?

13. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

As I stated, money does not seem to be the main issue for Emmitt.

Pittman had a great game in the Super Bowl but he actually had fewer yards than Emmitt this year with a much better o-line. Emmitt behind that o-line could get 1000 yards easily. Plus he's from Florida.

14. Possum

Possum Member

I guess yuo didn't get to see many Texan games up there in Dallas. :(

15. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Actually I didn't but I did hear that Carr was sacked more times this year than any QB in a single season. I just have a very hard time believing that any line in the NFL could have been as bad as Dallas' last year. The Cowboys were picking up rejects from the Texans.

16. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I don't think there is much chance of this happening, but...
    I have heard Emmitt going to Tampa mentioned
    and
    Tuna has interest in Keyshawn (apparently Rocket will not be back with Dallas and it gives Dallas a 3rd WR)

Now I don't see TB doing it but would Tampa give up over paid Keyshawn for overpaid/aging Emmitt? I doubt it especially if they know they may be able to get Emmitt once he is released, but Tampa is missing 4 draft picks (for Gruden) so maybe Dallas throws in a 2nd round pick?

I really don't expect Emmitt to be in Dallas next year unless he takes the Vets minimum 750K. At the same time I don't think T-ham is the answer either. So I'm sure Dallas will be looking for a FA RB as well, unless they can get a steal in the 2nd round of the draft.

17. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

I think Emmitt coming to the TEXANS would be a very unlikely situation....but I do love what he could bring to the table. Ok, say we do land a decent RB thru FA. Then what do we do with the 3rd pick. As bad as our offense was this year I say we go after the D-lineman Suggs from Arizona State. I know, we need o-line, RB and WR but the fact is there aren't many gamebreakers in this year's draft. At least not at WR or RB. If somehow Charlie Rogers does drop to #3 I say we grab him, but if not could you imagine what our defense would look like with a legitmate pass rusher? Let me know what you think....

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i think suggs is a question mark in a 3-4 scheme. he's not big enough to play DE and he has no LBer experience. i wouldn't risk the 3rd pick on him. i'd put kennedy ahead of him on my big board.

19. Possum

Possum Member

I have to agree with Ric on this one. I would rather see us draft Kennedy and go after a proven olb like Colvin in free agency. Add those 2 and our D would improve tremendously.

20. mprodrig

mprodrig Member

I can see where you are coming from on that issue but isn't that the same reason why we didn't draft Julius Peppers? and look how he turned out....