1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the best careers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cheke64, Jan 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeeeepp. That's more like it. Found a couple of jobs under that.

Tomorrow, if I get a chance I will talk to an advisor at HCC for this.

I will also go to U of H and see about their accounting program.

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

I keep thinking about what to do. I have no idea. I prefer something like a 2 year degree so i can start making decent money while continuing my education instead of just 4+ straight years of school and being broke.

I know i should choose something that i would happy in, but i want to make good enough money to where i feel rich being single. I plan on never marrying. So the more money, the better toys to buy and trips to take. I know i love being by the beach so what are some areas i should focus in if i want to make a move to a coastal city? Is Process Technology basically only for the south/gulf?

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

No, process technology is used anywhere things are manufactured. From cars, to beer and back again. Any factory setting has process technology engineers, aka operators. 90% of Process Technology is safety related (or it at least feels that way), which transfers to all "hands on" jobs.

Simply put, you won't find a cheaper degree that makes you more money right out of school. Since the degree is at a junior/community college, you're looking at around five grand for the entire thing, including books. Plus they have paid internships for a lot of the students and most students are placed right after graduation.

Most people in PT are just like you. Hard working, but harder playing. Most have boats, four wheelers, beach houses, guns etc. Since a lot of the work is shift work, they have a lot of 3 and 4 day weekends. Which means more time to play, but even better - more built-in overtime.

Like most careers you get out what you put in. If you want to get your 20 years and retire, go for it. If you want to move up, there will be plenty of opportunity as plants generally have high turnover rate due to competition.

4. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Best careers?

Be a NFL or NBA player.

And playing in the Euro premium soccer leagues is not shabby either.

5. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

And the school you went to is best for this degree?

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

They are all basically the same. They use curriculum actually created by many of the larger refineries in Houston - BP, Shell, Exxon, etc.

I went to Alvin Community College (Alvin) but they offer it at College of the Mainland (Texas City), San Jacinto College (Multiple Campuses), Lee College (Baytown) and HCC that I know of, there could be more. I'd go to whichever is more convenient (except HCC, but that's just me). I liked all of the professors at ACC.

It is a tight-knit group of people you go with and the classes are small, so the people you start with will probably be with you all along the way. As far as I know none of the process technology specific classes are taught online, but your general classes can be. This might have changed though, as it's been 18 months since I last took courses.

7. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Damn. HCC is the closest to me i believe. I'm up in the NW side...It's ghetto isn't it?

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

did you join?

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I think han solo is banned. Seeing that you can't leave a rep on his posts anymore.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

What did he get banned for? You've peaked my curiosity.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Boyfriends for Hire in Japan

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iPhr6N-c8as" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

you piqued my curiosity

[​IMG]

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

not really sure.

could've been some pictures he posted

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Likely gay pics and the righteous indignation against Clutch for not being able to post them.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

About to go ham this summer all trigonometry and chemistry out. My gpa was a 3.04 after my aas degree, I bull****ted my thru it. So if can hang out to it till I enter the engineer program I think I can make it.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Best career is doing what you love, or at least something closely related, as a job.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

What type of engineering are you thinking of doing?

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I already have that career in the medical field. I just want to step it up a notch.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know yet, Petroleum, chemical or computer.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Replace computer with electrical (not electronics) and pick one out of a hat.