1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are some of your greatest fears these days?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by burlesk, May 31, 2004.

1. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Seeing posts that consist of only a letter.
    Why don't you post some of your greatest fears, burlesk, and see how we respond?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The mental image of Deckard wearing jeans with no underwear.

4. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OK, man, I didn't mean to scare ya... ;)

Fair question, though, and thanks for asking -- I didn't want to go first, I thought it might be more polite to ask first, talk later... one of my big fears is of seeing internal fighting amongst Americans (as opposed to political debate) escalate to the point where we start seeing each other as enemies, to the point where we start treating each other as enemies...

I'm sure I have others, but that's the one I had on my mind when I posted the thread...

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Running out of bullets...

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to come save me from y'all crazy $&*#s, I just think it's pretty intense right now... probably just me...

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And they were thin bellbottom jeans. Real thin. :D

burlesk, I was just bustin' your chops a little. Considering how partisan things keep being, your fear is not that far out there. If we had an "incident" worse than 9/11 that somehow polarized the country even more, perhaps by being used as a means to impose emergency martial law that, for all intent and purposes, suspended our rights in this country, then I could see things blowing up rather easily. That worries me when I think about it.

I guess my greatest fear right now is the ever present possibility of Bush being reelected. It would be a catastrophe. The scenario I mentioned above is something I could imagine Bush doing, unfortunately. Of course, I have quite an imagination.

8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Well, I guess part of my fear is that when you start thinking about scenarios like the one you just mentioned, that one starts to defend so hard against THAT possibility that in effect one might start to treat people, who are so worried about terrorism that they would SUPPORT that, as enemies, too... of course, the question becomes, what is worse, terrorism or the scenarios that fear of terrorism might lead to?

#8 burlesk, May 31, 2004
    Last edited: May 31, 2004
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If this country casts aside what makes it great in order to protect itself from the terrorists, then the terrorists have won. And that's a real possibility, if we aren't careful.

10. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

The fear that if my wife invites her hot friend to the bed that I'll get too "happy" and ruin another chance like that ever. Luckily, that'll never happen.

11. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Uncle Tim, if you don't think positive, then your wife will have won... YOU CAN DO IT, MAN.

12. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Losing my wife.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Karl Malone getting a ring...

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

same here man. i'm neither a "democrat" nor a "republican," since i can think for myself and dont need a political affiliation to determine my voting process, or even who i agree with. i just see entirely too many flaws w/ GWB and his administration, and i don't care for where they're taking this country. IMO, anybody would be better than bush.

15. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

How about TAKING a wife?

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Talking a wife isn't the hard part. The hard part is finding the right one to take.

17. droxford

droxford Member

There is a complete lack of attention to a severe U.S. problem: Illegal immigration from Mexico.

I feel that this is quickly hurting our country (and may lead to its demise in the very near future). We're taking almost no action to stop it. Our efforts should be increased 100 times over.

I fear for the Mexi-merica that my kids will (probably) grow up in.

(note: and I'm half Mexican!)

-- droxford

18. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Now I've got the Pixies in my head... :)

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I am suddenly thankful for the baggy pants with your boxers showing fashion trend that used to make me shake my head...

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The situation in Saudi Arabia disintegrates enough to have a significant impact on the World Economy.