1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHat are REAL fans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Miggidy Markell, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Miggidy Markell

Reading alot of topics lately about the Francis play in Cleveland, Mobley being selfish (here we go again) Rudy T being worst coach ever etc etc. It makes me wonder what it takes to be a real fan.

1.) A real fan supports his team win, lose or tank. Without a couple of years of losing we wouldn't appreciate the good times, see 94-95 championships after all the 1st round loses. There have been ups and downs this season caused by some slow learning which is expected in guard play. How old is Gary Payton again?

2.) A real fan supports his team's players. Until this year prior to the Big 3, the only players that were doing a whole lot were Steve and Cuttino and now most of ya'll want them to walk to plank. Some people don't realise how lucky we are to have these guys in safe contracts and wanting to play here, look at the mess the Cavs and Clippers have gotten themselves into.

3.) A real fan makes it his job to support what the team does, like it or not, otherwise, what is the point in being a fan of that team? I admitt I didn't like us trading up Dickerson for Francis when it happened but I supported the decision and I am damn straight happy about it because Francis has really grown on me. And the few out that will know exactly what I'm saying here are the people who didn't like us taking Ming with the first pick. Has he grown on you guys?

Basically when I see some of the hatred spread on this board, it makes me sad to think we have some sore losers out there. If you seriously want a team that wins all the time, the Lakers are the team to follow. But while your a Rockets fan IMO you basically have to put up and shut up. This doesn't mean I think serious matters shouldn't be discussed on this board, but I think most of ya'll should take 10-15 minutes to think before you post to make the discussion alittle more constructive instead of flaming everyone in the team.

2. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

And what makes you think we're not real fans? Other than the trolls, win or lose we still support and watch the Rox. The prob is their style of play stinks. Fans have the right to demand their team to win, especially when they're supposed to.

Comparing SF to GP now huh? Old or not there are couple things you have to like about GP. Even in his younger days he was a great defender, hench the glove. He can pass the ball and he makes the team better. SF on the other hand, so much potential, so little brains.

Whether the Rox drafted Yao Ming with the first pick doesn't matter. We would still cheer for them if they drafted JWill, alhtough we'd probably be kicking ourselves right now.

And don't compare the Rox to the Lakers. Like them or not they more or less play the game the way it should be played. 2 stars + scrubs. Those damn scrubs know exactly what they're supposed to do. Last time I checked, the Lakers also don't have so many boneheaded TO's AND Kobe's a better shooter than Cat.

3. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

And what makes you the definitive judge of a "real fan"? I've been a Rox fan since 1984; that is 19 years of loyalty.

I criticize the Rox because I give a sh*t about them. You won't find me on the Lakers or Mavs board spewing my guts. To me, Rox the team comes before anyone else on that team. Thus, it's OK to dump on Rudy, Cat or anyone else when I think they are not doing the right thing to help the Rox win.

I am sure that you are a diehard Rox fan just like me. Just don't go around lecturing us about the proper conduct of a Rox fan.

Go Rockets.

4. Miggidy Markell

I believe this was my own opinion, I am not making these rules where you have to abide by them.....
    Many people have wanted Francis traded for Payton who is IMO what I would like Francis to turn out to be like. This is why i refered to him. I am not saying that your not a fan, but please, read the bottom of the post. No matter how much you cry, it will do nothing to change the learning process.

5. James23

James23 Member

real fans should passionately support their teams when they are winning or losing. nevertheless, they need to be critical of the players and management when players don't devote 100% to the team, to win and when the team management doesn't have a plan to win the championships and doesn't make any moves - trading, signing or cutting players -to make the team a perennial championship contender. real fans should call them out, ripping them on radio and msg board, bringing signs to games.

6. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Real fans support the TEAM. Team, of course, being the key word here.

7. James23

James23 Member

do you support the team or the player?

if your favorite player being traded, will you follow the player and abandon your current team.

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

There are NO RULES OR GUIDELINES for being fans. That's just dumb. Fans just support their team and watch their games. They don't get pissed off just because of a game.

9. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Real fans, have a right to be pissed when after spending 300 to 400 dollars a year on tickets, and dropping another 200 for league pass to watch their team, and still after 5 years of so called rebuilding doesn't see the team progressing. I love the Rox and have been a fan since I was an 8 year old kid living in Houston, but to never be critical of them and call out certain members of the team and/or organization I can not do, because I love them, and because I care so much.

10. Timing

Timing Member

A real fan supports his team win, lose, or tank but b****es loudly in wonderment about signing Matt Maloney and Moochie Norris to long term contracts.

11. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

So if you have a mind and can think for yourself you can not be a real fan?

So if you question what a player does you can not be a real fan?

So if you have been a fan longer then the current players have been with the team, you have no right to disagree with their play, but you should find a new team rather then want your team back they took away?

We will never agree on what a real fan is, you want a puppet to sit in the corner and agree with what the spoiled players do and be happy. Well keep looking to find that, I think a real fan thinks a player is responsible for the action on the court to the fans!

12. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Real fans do not accidentally double capitalize the first two letters of their post's subject.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A real Fan is one who supports his Team through thick and thin! This doesnt mean that he cant study the plays/players in the wins and losses. A free Fan will want only the best for his Team and will make every effort for his Team, including . critical analysis.

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I think it's an accent of some sort.

In NY it would be WAT

In Philly it would WHAT???!!!!!You Bum, You stinkin Bum!!!!!

15. mackomon

mackomon Contributing Member

Fans just react differently to winning and losing. Many athletes would agree (esp. in New York :) ) that fans have the right to b!tch and moan if the team is not playing up to its potential.

I agree with some posters saying that they b!tch because they care. That's the highs and lows of sports! We live and die with our teams. You would have to have had a lobotomy if bad games don't bring you down.

It's all about emotions!!! That's why we watch....

16. Miggidy Markell

OK, I think most of ya'll still have not read my post properly. I have written down the bottom for the post that constructive arguments are fine, but these "Cuttino is a selfish SOB" and the "We need a true PG" diss on Francis, these are going overboard. How can you constantly bash a team and be a fan of them at the same time, that is like me attempting to be a Jazz fan. All in all, I posted this thread because some fans out there just do not have faith at all in this team. Analyse the situation first, Cavs beat us, yes we don't like it, but we still like the team, including it's players (well at least I do). I am damn proud of being a fan of the Rockets simply because I find we are an under-dog team fighting our way up the ranks. It'd be nice to be winning championships in Yao's first years, but it ain't happening. This is called learning.
    I can't be bothered going through the thread again, but I poster said something along the lines of "the team doesn't perform to it's potential". We have been doing it to lower teams all year long and even in the Championship days and before that. We seriously could have swept Phoenix in the '94 play-offs, but we had a lapse in concerntration that actually helped us regain our composure. Little things like that pass by Francis during the season, will help him to learn by his mistake. Mark my words, he may have a long ways to go, but he is busting his ass to make it there. So why hate? I just want serious opinions and reasons for this because I don't understand.

And as for the comment made by chance, get a life, please :rolleyes:

17. Miggidy Markell

Thanks, one of the only ones that gave me an intelligent response. I agree it is emotional, when I visit my grandma in Dallas I usually come down to watch a game or 2. I'm from New York btw and I see alot of over emotional fans, but to me it seems that it shows your intelligence level. You can be emotional without doing what Laker fans did and raid the streets and turning over cars, etc. A real fan isn't determained on how big of a tantrum you can throw, true?

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Miggidy Markell, you know how Stoke does it bro! Im the realist fan on this freakin website. my constant concern for the rockets has ruined my sex life. and you can take THAT to the bank,,,err....clutchcity.net tip jar..which is like my rent jar cause i just about live here.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

A real fan is someone that loves his team regardless of the record, coach or players.

A real fan follows their team and cheers for their team during the good times and the bad times.

A real fan is not apathetic about his team…ever.

A real fan has the right to criticize the players, coaches and management if need be. After all if a real fan is there through the bad times then there is going to be a certain amount of frustration.

A real fan certainly has the right to make suggestions about how his team is managed, coached and what players are on the team. It is only suggestions and it is part of what makes being a fan fun. I love Steve and Rudy T, but I would get rid of both in a heartbeat if that were what it took to be a contender.

A real fan takes pleasure in their teams success and agonizes (at least to a certain degree) their team’s failures.

A real fan does not settle for mediocrity from its players, coaches or management.

Real Fans:
    Clutch
    Heypartner
    Jeff
    ZRB
    DaDakota
    Verse
    NIKEstrad
    Pops
    Doc
    Crash
    Miggidy Markell (yes even you)
    And every other poster that has come to this board throughout the last few years. I know they are real fans because only real fans would continue to bleed Rockets colors even when the team suffers through years of no play-offs and 28 win seasons. We might not agree on the method the Rockets should use to be successful and we might not agree with the degree of complaining or all of the blind sunshine ass praises but we all want the Rockets to win. We might get pissed at each other and may even have good reasons to dislike some of the posters but we are all still Rockets fans and we eventually want the same thing…another Rockets NBA Championship.

If you want to question some peoples motives for following the Rockets you should question those people that follow the Rockets expressly because they are winning, or because they are the NBA flavor of the month or because Yao Ming or Steve Francis is on the team. You shouldn’t question a fan’s motives just because you don’t think the team or coach is beyond criticism. A real fan should never be expected to just “put up and shut up” .

I am a real fan. I only miss a couple of games a year at the most but I will be damned if you or anyone else is going to tell me that I have to ”put up and shut up” when I have invested so much time and love with MY team.

20. Just B

Just B Member

That was one of the smartest posts I've seen in a while. I for one believe I'm a true fan. I've supported the Rox through every win and loss this season, and I appreciate the effort that they all put in. Everyone's gonna have a bad game (or several bad games;) ) but it's the fans that keep them going. If you ask just about any player what motivates them the most, they'll tell you that it's the fans. The Cavs, for example, have very few fans and they lose a lot because of it. Dallas and Sacramento on the other hand have a lot of fans who sellout every game and come to cheer their team on to victory. So as fans it's our job to support the Rockets through thick and thin. Then maybe it will all be worth it when we get our championship and we have the pleasure of knowing that we were there for them all along.:cool: