1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What age is too young to be a foster parent?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FLAGRANT1, Dec 16, 2008.

1. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

link.

Woman guilty of sex with teen foster son

07:26 AM CST on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Associated Press

BROWNWOOD, Texas - A woman who gave birth to her teenage foster son's baby was sentenced to three months in jail and 10 years' probation.

Phylecia Humphries, 26, of Brownwood, faced a maximum 20-year prison sentence after being convicted of sexual assault of a child, a second-degree felony.

Yeah. That's just disgusting.

Humphries must register as a sex offender for life and cannot bearound children under 17 without the court's permission. She also was fined $10,000.

After deliberating about five hours Friday, jurors sentenced her to probation. State District Judge Steve Ellis assessed the 90-day jail sentence after Brown County District Attorney Michael Murray requested that Humphries spend 180 days in jail.

Also Online
    Check your neighborhood crime stats

Are there sex offenders in your neighborhood?

Fight Crime!

Crime Watch blog

Video Slideshows Blogs Defense attorney Kirby Roberts, who had sought probation for his client and asked jurors to "show mercy," later said they made the appropriate decision.

After the trial, Murray said he was concerned that "a mixed message" had been sent.

Murray made a similar point in closing arguments in the sentencing phase, telling jurors that if a man impregnated his 13-year-old foster daughter, probation would not be discussed.

Humphries' foster son had testified he was 13 when their sexual relationship began in 2005, and Humphries gave birth to their daughter in 2006. Another former foster son testified that he also had sex with Humphries numerous times when he was 16.

But Humphries had testified she had sex only five times with the 13-year-old and said she felt violated and raped. She said the encounters happened because he threatened to harm her young son, and she denied initiating any sexual contact. She also denied having sex with her previous foster son.

After the guilty verdict, Humphries testified again - during the punishment phase - and asked jurors for probation.

"I am sorry about everything that's ever happened. Everything I do, I try to be a good person. I know we all make mistakes," she said while crying. "Each and every one of you - just look into your own heart and do what you feel fit."

But under cross-examination by Murray, she said she was "partially to blame."

In his closing argument, Murray told jurors that Humphries was a predator who used teenage boys for her own pleasures. She tried to cover up the relationship but could no longer do so when DNA analysis showed the teen was her baby's father, Murray told jurors.

The defense argued that Humphries had given in to the 13-year-old while she was depressed and emotionally fragile. After the first time, the defense argued, the boy blackmailed her into other encounters.

A relative is caring for Humphries' older son from her marriage and her baby daughter, according to testimony.

2. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

she is not to bad looking.
    would hit.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That sucks, but I don't think her youth is a significant factor.

EDIT: That sentence is way too light.

#3 JuanValdez, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Need pic to confirm her hitability...

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

being a parent, foster, adopted or biological, to me isnt a question of age but maturity and financial stability.

i know of 30+ year olds that should not have kids and I know people in their early 20s that probably should.

raising the child in a proper, wholesome environment is what counts.

26, (age of the defendant) is old enough but clearly she was not the right person to be a parent what sort of deal is that? taking a child into your home that most likely has already been though a decent amount and then taking advantage like that?

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just wanted to point this out
    Esp if he did it TWICE

Rocket River

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I think it is slightly unfair since it wasn't the 13 year old that got pregnant. Even so, the gender bias is overwhelming. Give the defense everything they claimed but change the sexes -- a 13 year old girl took advantage of her 26 year old foster father's fragile emotional state and seduced him, and then blackmailed him into more sexual encounters. I'd still give the father a lot more than 3 months in jail.

10. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

It's totally different story if it happened like you said above,It's completely a gender bias. 3 months sentenced to the father would be too slight though.