1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What affect would a healthy Bob Sura have on the point guard position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Alston was a woefully inconsistant shooter and scorer last year, but it's absurd to judge him for it. Injuries frequently made him the first option and he forced shots because there were no other people who could score. And he still got others shots. Neither Head nor Howard can create their own shots. They scored of jumpers off passes from Alston. Talk trash about Alston all you want, and then take a look at his 3pt shooting from the previous two years. I'm not concerned with his overall % as long as he hits 3s at a decent rateā€”and for that just check out his previous two years. Hmm, I like Hollinger's take on him, which was from before last season.

"Babcock has been criticized for Alston's six-year, $24 million deal because of the ruckus Alston caused off the court, but on the court the Raptors got their money's worth. Alston was one of the keys to Toronto's offensive improvement, finishing above the league average for point guards in all three measures of creating offense -- Usage Rate, Assist Ratio, and Turnover Ratio. The one thing that Alston could use is a floater when he drives the lane. Alston took nearly five 3-pointers a game and hit 36 percent, but fared poorly inside the arc (45 percent), especially when he couldn't get all the way to the basket for a lay-up.

Defensively, Alston is like most of the Raptors. He didn't play particularly hard, and he didn't have that much skill to begin with. Alston has good quickness, which helped him average a steal and a half per game, but he lacks strength and should gamble less.

Despite their dissatisfaction with Alston's antics, the Raptors probably have to grin and bear it for at least another season since fixing the frontcourt is a higher priority. If he manages to behave and keeps up his numbers from last season, he could even draw some attention at the trade deadline. "

The negatives cited, his attitude, were anything but an issue in Houston. He worked his butt off and kept his mouth shut. As the fourth option on offense this year, I think Alston will make a lot of people eat crow.

As for Sura, I adore his game and his efforts and I hope he can contribute this year. Sura has also spent the majority of his career as a shooting guard and (if healthy) will either start next to Alston next year, with Battier playing the 4. Object if you must, but I challange anyone to claim that Howard will defend or rebound better against 4s than Battier. If both Alston and Sura can manage 35% from 3, and everyone stays on the court, our offense will be extremely potent.

2. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I meant that to say that Sura will either be the starting SG or if TMac and Battier start at 2 and 3, with Howard starting, or if at some point during the season Snyder proves worthy of the starting role and Battier moves to the 4, then Sura becomes an awesome 6th man.

3. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

dont yall remember sura had the flu that whole series vs. dallas, thats why mike james played the same if not more minutes than sura...