1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What adjustments will Popovich make?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 2, 2017.

?

The adjustment that the Spurs make will be...

1. Downsize the lineups

31.0%
  2. Change the pick-and-roll coverage

38.0%
  3. Play harder

21.7%
  4. Other: Specify

9.3%
  1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I imagine they will stop switching as much on PNR with harden like how robertson forced his way on PNR and didn't switch, but SA isn't as quick as OKC so we'll see how that works out. As long as Rockets hit their avg clip in 3's, we will be fine and keep playing the great defense they did in game 1.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

These guys didn't win 61 games for nothing... they also played well against us in the regular season. Don't get overconfident. Pop WILL have adjustments, and this series most likely will still be very hard fought.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pop will make sure the NBA assigns the right refs.

Brothers? yup.

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

"Making Harden beat you by himself" Isn't the same as making someone like Westbrook or Kobe beat you by themselves.

Harden is just going to continue to run the PnR if the Spurs decide to stick to shooters (Like OKC did).

Harden has already shown he's capable of winning a series like this against a much better defensive big in Adams than anyone SA has.

Leonard is not as effective fighting over screens as Roberson is and in all the match ups this season Harden has done a good job not letting him get back into the play by moving quickly once he uses the screen.

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

the Drive to the basket will be key along with the defensive intensity/focus tonight. Those kickouts to Ryan and Ariza need to be taken without hesitation.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Yes, but the discussion was in regards to Leonard going under the screen and giving Harden the 3-point looks, while all the Spurs defenders stay home. In theory this takes away Harden's lane to penetrate, no PNR roller and no one to kick the ball out to. I was wondering what the Rockets could do to counter this.

Obviously Harden would need to take those 3s if he gets them...but he can't take those all game long and expect to make them all. I don't remember seeing OKC having Roberson go under the screen (I could be mistaken).

DonKnock likes this.
  7. today

today Contributing Member

They did a great job of this in the last few regular season games against us. I was shocked at how slow their defensive rotations were on Monday, it was not at all what I remembered from earlier in the year.

I just hope that Pop continues to give Ginobli minutes... that guy's game has really dropped off. Parker too, to a lesser extend.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Spurs looked a lot better when Dedman and Simmons where on the floor. They put Dedman on Ariza and kept Kiwi on Gordon. It was a stronger line up. I think they out scored us 10-6 and 3 of our points came from Lou getting 3 FTs.

I worry about that line up but I also don't think the Spurs can run with us PERIOD. Not even Kiwi. I think If we can tire them out, attack the basket and run on made shots it will cause problems. The biggest X factor is LMA.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

1) get scoring from one of the many guys who can get hot. Mills, Ginobili, Green.
    2) Aldridge has to be at least competent. He's aged a lot in the last 4 years. Mobility is poor and his game is not dynamic at alll.
    3) the Spurs are built to play big. The only way that works is if they chew up a lot of clock, slow the pace, get rebounds (neither team is great at that), and dominate the paint. Abuse Ryan Anderson and force MDA to take him out.
    4) they need to trap Harden immediately. Get the ball out of his hands, and make him work to get the ball back. Kawhi and Green are going to have to be aggressive and then quickly be able to rotate back. I think the Spurs bigs don't have the ability to make this work though. They are too slow and aren't good perimeter defenders.
    5) Spurs are going to need a lot from Dewayne Dedmon. None of the other young guys (Dedmon is a 28 year old rookie) is ready to get playoff minutes

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Zach Lowe talked about the Spurs going under the screens on his pod yesterday w/ Windhorst.

The short version of what they said is that Harden's 3pt % is deceptively low because he is frequently taking some of the most difficult 3 point shots possible (step backs, contested, off-dribble combos). Giving Harden an easier pull up version of the shot, by going under, would quickly show what his real shooting ability is.:)

BigMaloe and Ozzy like this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Parker was a key player for them offensively in the Memphis series. Bev has done a great job neutralizing what Parker has left in the tank.

Ozzy and francis 4 prez like this.
  12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Haha, good point. The question is do you think Pop would be likely to try this scheme and take away the Triple Threat? Basically take his chances giving Harden slightly better 3 looks?

DonKnock likes this.
  13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

The way Bev has matured and developed over the years, it'll take a player of Westbrook's caliber to be able to over come Bev's man defense. Bev just overwhelmed Mills and Parker in game 1. I expect more of that tonight.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Kawhi found out this season that taking on that level of offensive load is going to come at a price energy wise. That's why they used Green on Harden in the first half and Leonard to finish games. The Rockets did a great job getting the game out of contention before they could use this strategy and also force Kawhi to press offensively.

Aldridge giving them nothing definitely hurt them as well. Definitely the player to watch tonight like you said.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Jesus, that's a horrendous draw for us.

Also, will the Spurs go Hack-a-Cappella to slow down the flow?

Ozzy likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dedmon strikes me as a player, while athletic, someone that Harden would attack to get him in foul trouble quickly.

I don't see Popvich making lineup changes. In fact he didn't even go to the Kawhi at the 4 change until late last year in the SAS/OKC series.

Re-watched game 1 some. Danny Green missed a lot of corner 3's that were open. He'll probably do better there. And the Spurs missed a lot of close shots. Those shots hit, with no changes, and the game will be closer.

More than anything, what I will be watching for is 1) the Rockets "intensity" and the fight for 50/50 rebounds. 2) How much the Spurs attack the basket for foul calls.

17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Pop's biggest adjustment is having the Spurs score more points than the Rockets. When a team does that they win 100% of the time even if the other team is playing with 110% effort.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think their best option is continue to trap/hard hedge our 4-1 PnR and hope that Anderson/Ariza can't keep hitting at the same rate.

Ex:

I don't think they're going to want to just let Harden to get hot from 3.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah I don't understand why more teams don't do this. granted, I tend to think of it as an underdog tactic and the spurs aren't an underdog, but I would make someone like harden score on pull-up 3's all day. he might do it. and d'antoni will still have tricks to prevent it from being all harden, but it still seems like a smart strategy. in game 1, they just let us have a bit of everything. make a great offense one-dimensional, especially if it requires great stamina from one particular person. and requires jumpers to go in. even the way the spurs are switching now I would just have the big sag as much as possible to force the 3. some might go in. they all probably won't go in.

same thing with LeBron. I don't know why anyone switches a PnR with him. I mean the cavs will literally set picks until they get a switch so it might be easier said than done, but I would just go under everything. waaaayyyy under everything, 2013 finals-style. or 2011 finals-style. LeBron sucked in 2011 and was looking shaky/hesitant for the first 4 games of 2013 on offense (then he hit 5 3's in game 7 so, what are you gonna do). if LeBron scores 45 on 15 3's then I guess I lose the game.

or even for guys who can shoot, make them shoot all the time. I always wished people would just make tony parker make 25 mid-range jumpers a game instead of helping off the litany of spurs shooters (2010's spurs) in PnR's (I didn't see much of their 2013 mavs series but I read they were doing something similar). or let a guy on a "we share the ball" team like the recent hawks score all the points. that guy doesn't want to do that and his teammates might get out of rhythm without touches.

20. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Haha great post brother. Sorry but your candor just makes me laugh. A lot of truth to what you're saying and a very simple tactic that could work. I personally think Harden is a sharp shooter from 3 (i know many would laugh at me for saying that). Lebron is not...but can catch fire as you alluded.

Harden has great shooting mechanics that just exudes confidence that EVERY shot is destined to go in from 3. Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon have that same effect on their shots. Also, realistically, Harden is far too skilled and dynamic to just be relegated to a one trick 3-point shooting pony in my opinion. Harden has the ability to force the issue lol. Like if the scheme was to go under the screen to give Harden 3s, he would Euro-step and bogart his way in drawing contact resulting in a foul, finish or turnover (lol..it's possible). So either way, JAMES HARDEN himself is the problem for opposing teams (no joke). At some point, there is literally SO MUCH a defense can do......some times...it's just not enough.

DonKnock likes this.