1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What adjustments will Popovich make?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 2, 2017.

?

The adjustment that the Spurs make will be...

1. Downsize the lineups

31.0%
  2. Change the pick-and-roll coverage

38.0%
  3. Play harder

21.7%
  4. Other: Specify

9.3%
  1. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

If Anderson/Ariza don't hesitate like the majority of the time during the OKC series, Rockets should be fine regardless of the Spurs playing their game. This will certainly be a lot closer than game 1...that's a given.

However, getting a 1/2 second of daylight off of a Harden creation is also a given. Anderson/Ariza can't hesitate, thus losing confidence in the process. They have to be in the "catch and shoot" mode all the time and not worry about missing.

When they hesitate, they are playing in to the hands of the Spurs. You want the Spurs to HOPE Rockets miss as opposed to "glad they are scared to shoot it"

francis 4 prez and pillardsap like this.
  2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Trap Harden when he passes halfcourt and get the ball out of his hands. I also see the Spurs possibly going with smaller faster lineups. The Rockets cannot let the Spurs (Ginobli,Mills, Green ect) get going from behind the 3pt line period and they will have a shot.

3. SAT Prep

SAT Prep Member

I imagine we'll see a lot more Simmons/Dewayne Dedmon on the court. Even after made baskets, Harden would get the inbound pass and chuck it to an Ariza hanging out on the opposite three point line leading to a lot of 3v3s or 4v4s (obviously allowing for way more space for shooters and cutters and such). If LA can't get his baseline turnaround J going, Anderson will look like the white Kawhi on D. But I have a hard time imagining Pop isn't going to really try and exploit that matchup. Still in shock from Monday's game. Go Rockets!!!

DonKnock likes this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

joeson332 likes this.
  5. seeingred

seeingred Member

I think we see LMA and Gasol come out with some fire. They'll look to finish early and if that's successful, it will open up passing lanes for cutters and shooters.

The #2 defense will show up out of respect for their coach. Their bigs won't be able to close as well as OKC's but they'll make the effort and our shooters will regress a bit.

Refs will call some of our ball strips as fouls. Close game as the crowd goes apeshit on a heady mix of churros and revenge lust.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It wouldn't surprise me if he sat all of his starters and kept his bench riding the pine. So I called forfeit

francis 4 prez likes this.
  7. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Play Kyle Anderson early,

joeson332 likes this.
  8. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Rockets can't have lapses leaving the back-door wide-open. Rockets get burned by those quite a bit.

joeson332 likes this.
  9. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Go under screens and let Harden take the 3 ball. He needs to shoot better from downtown otherwise this method would work. This would prevent big men from rolling onto the basket while keeping shooters covered at the same time.

10. cebu

cebu Member

They'll try to eject Nene early into the game.

11. hakeemthagreat

Conspiracy alert.....

I believe the biggest adjustments will be the refs screwing us. Expect phantom foul calls, rewarding flops, ridiculous techs (like the Nene ejection) etc..This will be the worst officiated game of the playoffs, just watch...

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The Spurs missed a lot of shots they normally make. I see those going in tonight and if we're not shooting as well. It will go their way by at least 15 to 20 points. Our defense has to be on point at the beginning of the game. Pop's only adjustment is go under PnR or Double Harden. Doubling leaves wideopen shooters, so I say he's going to turn James into a scorer similar to his strategy with Lebron

francis 4 prez likes this.
  13. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

Pop is a stubborn guy... he frustrates Spurs fans all the time... because we know more than he does sometimes...

14. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

that's what I would do... make Harden beat you by himself..

15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

a stubborn guy that's won 5 rings. No coach is perfect.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The rockets get more calls than any team in the NBA. Please stop blaming the refs before the game.

17. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

This is actually my least favorite strategy if I were the Rockets. As a fan, I don't want Harden to have to do the majority of the scoring. It wears him down as well leading to Hero ball mentality.

@heypartner , what could the Rockets do to counter this scheme if employed on Harden?

18. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Lmao Spurs fans are so stupid.

19. rockpileindisma

Lol and I thought rockets fans were bad. Y'all should fire him, Kevin mchale is available

BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.
  20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I expect them to make more shots than game 1 allowing them to have a respectable loss instead of an @$$ whooping.