1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What actually above average shooters are available before the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fchowd0311, Nov 20, 2019.

1. icewill36

icewill36 Member

You forgot House.... I agree we could use another consistent shooter though, especially just in case of injury.

Stephen_A likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I need to see more from House besides half a season to consider him a above average shooter.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. SemisolidSnake

Making a three is hard. If you do it on 1 out of 3 times, you're at least average to above average.

That said, this is the NBA, the absolute zenith of a sport played by millions and millions of people around the world. A sport whose very essence is shooting a ball through a 10-ft-high hoop. It's surreal to talk about "above average shooters" being a precious and rare thing in the NBA. And accurate. And still surreal.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Lol... half a season then being our best shooter this year. House is an impact player for us on both ends.

Stephen_A, ElDobleK and Denovo like this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Bjelica is up to 50% on 4 attempts per game. He can back up the 4 & 5. He's not ideal defensively like JGreen or JGrant but we may need a playable knock down shooter once we get into the playoffs.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bjelica is a starter now for SAC.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I'm looking down the line if the Kings are out of contention. I think he's starting due to injury, but that may not be the case in the next couple of months. The Kings front office is suspect too.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I can’t help but feel this roster is what it is. Don’t expect any additions or upgrades. Considering our owners M.O. and the fact no one wants to help Daryl morey, we are just going to have to make the most of what we have. Getting EGO back 100% would make a huge difference for us. There is a lot of season left and a lot of room to grow.

Stephen_A, Gray_Jay, da_juice and 5 others like this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

You are probably right.

HP3 likes this.
  10. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Michael Beasley

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

hard pass.

can you imagine beasley getting down our defensive scheme ? LOL

he's got tunnel vision on offense and not even that good of a scorer.

harold bingo likes this.
  12. Caprah

Caprah Member

Jr Smith ......get him out of China

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

its time to try out JR smith.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just hope we are healthy and can stay healthy in the playoffs, and our shooting will be good enough.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets can always use more shooters. They need someone that can play the 5 and shoot 3’s.

Thanks to ownership the only way you are getting someone with a salary like Reddick is if you trade Capela. Potentially the Rockets could trade Capela for Reddick plus a less accomplished center.

Otherwise you are looking at guys that make 4-5 million dollars. There are guys that will be available in that range but they are either strictly guards or have serious defensive limitations.

The most improvement would be adding interior players that hit 3’s so the spacing improves and Rockets have lanes to drive and better looks on 3’s.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

WTF is/was wrong with Ryno anyways? Depression, post traumatic stress disorder? He needed to get over it and get back to form... What happened?

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The reason we don't have shooters is because it's more important to have defenders on a team built around Harden. You can either have a good defender that is average/below average at shooting, or you can have a sniper who can't play defense. The first one is going to make us a much better team. When you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, guys like Ariza, Beverley, Thabo, Tucker (prior to this years hot start) are better fits around Harden as opposed to guys who shoot over 40% but can't play any defense. Remember Ryan Anderson?

And in case anyone is wondering why we don't just get guys can do both, it's because guys that can do both make $12-$15 million. We really lucked out with House, that's one of the best contracts in the league. But in general, long defenders who also shoot the ball really well cannot be had for ~5mil or less.

Do you really think this team would win more games if we had players like Ryan Anderson, JJ Reddick, Gallinari, Doug McDermott?

#37 harold bingo, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Y2JT, BaselineFade and jordnnnn like this.
  18. MVP4THREE

MVP4THREE Member

[​IMG]
    too soon?

harold bingo likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here is a list I just made. I took all players in the league that shoot over 40% from 3 on a minimum 3 attempts per game. I removed guys on their rookie deals, anyone over 10mil salary, and anyone who has played less than 20 minutes total this season. Here's what's left. Let me know if you notice in a trend in their defensive capabilities. I didn't bother trying to assess availability of these guys, I'm sure some of them aren't, but I didn't want to eliminate anyone based on anything subjective.

EDIT: Also worth noting I removed rockets players from this list. House, PJ, and Clemons are all on it, and they're all positives on defense. House at +3.9, Tucker at +0.8, Clemons at +1.3 according to RAPTOR. Obviously RAPTOR isn't perfect, we all know PJ has a bigger defensive impact than Clemons, but it adds some good context and is fine for a rough estimation.

upload_2019-11-21_10-56-1.png

#39 harold bingo, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  20. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I still dont understand how the Jimmer isn't an NBA player. Dude averaged Wilt like number in CHINA and we KNOW he can shoot.