1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about picking up Paul Pierce

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Apr 7, 2001.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe he is a Free Agent this year, if we can't get Webber, getting Marc Jackson and Paul Pierce would make me just as happy.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Doesn't Boston have an option for bringing him back for a fourth year? There's no way they wouuld let him go this season. Maybe if the Rockets still have their cap space, they will pick him up in 2002.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that class (Vince, Twan, Pierce, Bibby, Dickerson)had to have their options exercised by I think October. Most were exercised, there were only a few that weren't. However, Boston still is a donut, and Pierce doesn't have to sign an extension, so perhaps there's hope of acquiring him.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

4. DJ

DJ Member

I would like the Houston Rockets to add Paul Pierce to their roster. Pierce would fit in well with the Rockets. Just imagine this lineup next year if we get Pierce:
    C-Kelvin Cato, Hakeem Olajuwon, Jason Collier
    PF-Maurice Taylor, Kenny Thomas, Carlos Rogers
    SF-Pierce, Walt Williams, Matt Bullard
    SG-Shandon Anderson, Cuttino Mobley
    PG-Steve Francis, Moochie Norris

------------------

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

what about jamal mashburn? isnt he a free agent? he seems easier to get.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

mgh 1925-2001

[This message has been edited by dc rock (edited April 07, 2001).]

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What are Pierce's rebound numbers? I'll have to go check those.

Would Boston take our picks for the guy? The Celtics already have their own lotto pick (probably), Denver's (probably).

Would the Celtics take Cato off our hands? Sure would be nice of them. Walt and Los are probably better trade bait, as they will be in the last year of their contracts.

------------------

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

why is the Paul Pierce subject being talked about, there is no way the Celtics would trade or lose this guy, and if Rockets fans hink they are going to get him...forget it.

------------------
    You can put it on the BOARD.......YESSSSSSSSS!
    Chicago White Sox Announcer Ken Harrelson

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My thought is, although he's great, the Celtics need to convince him the team is growing in the right direction. For the Rockets, he's a better version of Shandon. I wouldn't complain if we got him, but we have more pressing needs.

------------------

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I think Hughes was left off on purpose...

------------------
    ``We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

12. haven

haven Member

JBII:

The Rockets won't get pierce- if the Celtics can help it. Problem is, there's some second-hand evidence that he isn't exactly happy in Boston. He doesn't like Walker taking so many (bad) shots and doesn't really like his attitude. And, of course, Pierce wants to play for a winner, something he doesn't see in Boston.

If Pierce tells Boston he's going to walk if he's not traded... they'll trade him in a hurry. Boston needs to be completely rebuilt... and they need to show their fanbase some signs of hope in a hurry.

Is there a deal we can swing? Who knows. But Pierce isn't completely off the market.

Lil Francis: Where exactly would Hughes fit on our team? We already have one ball-hoggin SG, who I think is probably better than Hughes. Mobley can shoot better and doesn't have the apparent attitude problems.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 07, 2001).]

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I was talking about the best free agents in 2002 not players the Rockets should get. And Hughes is not a ball hog. He is really good and will be a star someday.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

HAHAHA [​IMG]

Hughes is not a ball hog?!?!?!?!?!?! Now thats the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

Dont get me wrong, he is going to be awesome. BUT HE IS A BALL HOG!

------------------

15. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Pierce would be a huge acquisition for the ROcks. This guy can do it all, score, rebound, shoot reasonably well and most of all play a little bit of D judging from his steals and blocks total.

But I have a gut feeling that just as much we'll lock up Franchise in a couple of years' time Boston will do the same to this ALl-Star right NOW.

Here's my proposal:

Go after Webber, then Antonio Davis, then Marc Jackson, maybe Dale Davis...only then should we lock up Taylor and do something about our free-agents.

BTW, I'd make trading CAto the second most important task on the off-season to do list.
    $42 million these days isn't $42 million in the old days. Just ask Shawn Kemp.

------------------
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till the other is ready." -HDT

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

A blurb from the Boston Globe, to clarify Pierce's contract status:
    "Pierce is eligible to sign a six-year extension this offseason (from Aug. 1 through Halloween), which would kick in after next season. He already is under contract for next season at a ridiculously low number ($2.05 million) dictated by the rookie cap. If the Celtics do not come through this summer - although they say they likely will - they would still have rights to him for the 2002-03 season, after which Pierce would be an unrestricted free agent."

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/077/sports/Summer_priority_must_be_Pierce+.shtml

I think we might be able to acquire Pierce via trade, if he makes it clear he doesn't want to stay in Boston. Boston really needs a complete overhaul, and might take our 3 draft picks and Cato for Pierce, or something like that (with Cato being cap-filler).

Since Boston will have two lottery picks this year, why would they want our three picks?

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited April 07, 2001).]

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think Mash signed an extension.

I would love to get Pierce, but if he was a FA, i think there would be more hoopla about it.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

18. haven

haven Member

I think we might be able to acquire Pierce via trade, if he makes it clear he doesn't want to stay in Boston. Boston really needs a complete overhaul, and might take our 3 draft picks and Cato for Pierce, or something like that (with Cato being cap-filler).

They love Pierce in Boston, but he's a bit redundant with Walker, at times... and they need to fill other roles more.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You left Larry Hughes off your list [​IMG]

------------------

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Pierce is not going anywhere, I promise you. Walker will be the one to go. Pierce is almost single-handedly keeping the Celtics in the running for the last playoff spot in the East. The Celtics are going to build around Paul, not get rid of him.

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)