1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What About Darrell Armstrong as our new backup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Dogg, Jul 3, 2003.

1. T-Dogg

T-Dogg Member

The Magic may soon part ways with Darrell Armstrong; they've been worried about burning him out for the last couple of seasons. If he's best used in limited minutes, and can still get after folks, then there should be a role for him in Houston backing up Steve Francis...

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1576175.html

Sounds like a good starting point for the Rockets. Add a solid inside guy and now I could see the team take shape. I wonder if the new assistant coach Patrick Ewing could be a good word in for the Rockets with Zo, hell I even say Charles Oakley (in your face leadership).

2. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I like the idea. Actually, anybody is good as long as they knock Moochie further down the bench.

Darrel Armstrong: From what I remember he's a long distance bomber; loves to heave it up from beyond the threepoint line. He's a energy guy; sparks of energy mixed with mad dashes to one end of the court to the other, and a few dives to loose balls here and there . His defense I dont know too much about. I recall him getting up in guys face, and pressuring the ball, though that may of been just Doc Rivers style. The only thing that he doesnt really have going for him is his small size but he does make up for that with a great stamina and hustle. Hey, he may be a good backup point guard the Rocks should look at! whats his age though?

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Im in. He's a little old, but still has the skills that will make him a contributor. Who knows, maybe he could turn Mooch around or something.

Nah.....

4. SLA

SLA Member

Well I don't know if Orlando wants to sign him back.....but I would love to have him. He's kinda old....but he's still quick and he's a veteran and he's a leader and he's very energetic and he plays hard every game....and he would be a great backup for 12 minutes. He could be a good teacher too.....and he was with Patrick Ewing for a while...But maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can play more than 12 minutes a game and maybe he wants more than the MLE.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he could get more like 20 minutes a game in our rotation. That's assuming Francis and Mobley play about 38 minutes, and that Francis plays SG for 10 minutes while Armstrong is in.

I like Armstrong; he's a good hustle guy.

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not going to happen.

Armstrong will stay in Orlando; the only issue is contract length, and Armstrong himself says it's not an issue.

The Magic aren't stupid and need fan support - of which Armstrong gives them the most, moreso than even McGrady. He's a Rivers' favorite and a mgmt. favorite. He'll be back next year.

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The only place he would even consider taking the minimum is in Orlando but I doubt he signs for less than the MLE. There's no way we can get him since we'll be lucky to use our MLE on Posey and if not on him on another free agent 3 or 4.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We don't need our MLE for Posey; we have his Bird Rights. We could sign him for $10 million a season if we wanted.

9. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

I would rather spend the money on a Forward or a backup at the two

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Less playing time for Moochie can only be a good thing. Getting Armstrong would mean Moochie would only play when the game is out of hand either way. I mean whenever moochie checks into the game the other team is thinking either "now its the time to catch up" or "now is the time to put this thing in the bag". Moochie is not going anywhere no pro basketball team would even consider giving Moochie Norris a IR spot so the Rockets might as well admit Moochie is a mistake and bring in a backup point. That way when Moochie comes in and does his thing it wont matter cuz the game is decided. So I'd love to give DA in to Houston or any point guard that has a spec of talent or knows how to run a offense.

11. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Getting Darrel would be great. He is solid in every way. He is a great defender, a great passer and good shooter from 3p land. He is a high energy guy who loves to pressure the opposing PG, he forces a lot of TO because of that. He simply plays great D. And could work as a great spark of the bench for us.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Though Darrel Armstrong is a solid backup PG, I think we need to focus on using our MLE to sign a banger PF more than anything else. There is the need to protect Yao down low, as well as getting the toughness in the frontcourt that only Cato seems to have.

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well, we could use our MLE on Armstrong. And Trade away EG and Cato in a sign & Trade of the banger at 4.

I remember him touching us a few times, I was always very impressed by his game.

14. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

I'm down. He'd be much better than coochie norris.